Best route creation software - by far

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had great luck using Basecamp, especially if I know the roads. Routes are easy to make. Recently however I have found myself on a disturbing number of unimproved dirt roads. Not just gravel, and Garmin is not avoiding this using the avoid unpaved roads. I found myself doing dirt recently on a farm road with no gravel and so rough the exhaust was grounding out. Settings were Fastest, Avoid Unpaved Roads. Any ride planning I do will continue to be with BaseCamp, but I really hope the map base gets more accurate with regard to paved roads.
I usually check Google Earth if I am unsure. Did you see out PA site? https://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNorthEast/BestRoads/PABestRoads.htm

I use My Maps from Google. A little different that Google Maps, it allows you to have different layers and so different routes. I usually separate routes into a route layer and then a POI layer. The only complaint I have is that you can't change route colors.

Here's a trip I did for a ride in New Hampshire a few weeks ago.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1RxqnjW-qiIOSrvYCrQjjMahPxQs

I use CoPilot on my phone. Offline maps, turn by turn directions, draggable routes, and works pretty well. I used to convert it with this tool . But I've found it was easier to draw in the route in the app manually. The biggest reason being most GPS file formats convert into tons of waypoints. Sometimes the CoPilot route calculation gets a little confused if a waypoint is off a little bit. If by chance you miss a waypoint, she gets pretty pissed off.

New Hampshire ride was big success.

By the way Ed, nice job creating the video and the documentation. Very few people take the time to do it, while many take advantage of it. I've figured out my own method which works for me, but I see where this could help plenty of people. The title may be a little strong, but it has prompted a lot of open discussion about different methods.

I'm not sure why some people have to take a "holier than thou" attitude when their OF flares up and can't be bothered to learn anything new.

Good point, Tim. To the OP, if my comments came across as flaming you (and they apparently did), my apologies. Thank you for sharing your tutorial with the forum. Honestly, I don't think I will take the time, attention, practice it takes to learn it. Three pages in, it just feels like work. That's my problem and not yours, of course.

Perhaps my apathy comes from a different perspective. I spend my whole life at home in a box. A HUGE part of my work life is dedicated to formal planning. Frankly, it's exhausting. I guess I use my bike tours to get out of the box that is my life. If that takes me off the fastest or the shortest or the preferred route, so be it. I used to worry that I might miss something. Or I might not get where I need to be in time. Or something bad might happen if I am not at a particular place at a particular time. Or maybe if I need help and don't know exactly where I am and what help is available every step of the way, I might dry out like a raisin on the side of the road. Or _________ (fill in the blank - I used to worry about EVERYTHING).

An old friend that helped guide me to the type of motorcycle touring I enjoy. He convinced me that my old way of thinking is not only ridiculous, but it in of itself is a detriment to the overall experience. The mind only has a definitive amount of neurons. Any neuron dedicated to the plan is a neuron that cannot take in and enjoy the adventure. I realize that it's not that simple, but .... it kind of is. Besides - any mile upright on 2 wheels is a good mile. The fact is that it is all good, and there is nothing to worry about. The unknowing is very stimulating and exciting. Since it is all good anyway, it's like a cross between Groundhog Day and Christmas, where you get exactly what you want, and then it repeats itself tomorrow, the next day, and the next day after that.

To quote my friend Redfish... "Ride more (Pants), stress less."

I like my map collection. Copy the desired sections on my HP copier, use my hi-lighters on the routes and put the pages in order. Also carry maps on the trip for evening motel reading and possible plan B options.
That's similar to what I've been doing last couple of years. My current technique, a combination of old-world craftsmanship and technology (who says we can't make anything in America anymore....):

1. Using Google Maps create route.

2. Print route image on color copier, size it to fit tank bag map pocket with +/- on copier.

3. By hand, skillfully trace route with a neon sharpie (pink is a good one).

4. VERY CAREFULLY apply strips of clear packing tape on both sides.

5. Using a traditional hand tool called SCISSORS (don't run with these), custom cut to my liking.

I make one for each day, viola perfectly sized waterproof custom maps. Throw them in the map drawer after rides, remember where I been
smile.png
I have a TOM TOM also but love looking at a map route along the way as well.
I used to do this years ago and it sucked. I was constantly looking for non-existent street signs and route signs - very dangerous. It is also very hard to do great complicated routes with a lot of turns. I ended up doing a lot of boring rides using well known well marked roads.
And, that would be the difference between Massachusetts and Idaho. For example, the 200 mile ride to Stanley from where I live is:

Hwy 20 for 62 miles, stay right

Hwy 93 for 78 miles, turn left

Hwy 75 for 55 miles, you have arrived.

Not a lot of roads around here lol... just an overview map works fine.

I've had great luck using Basecamp, especially if I know the roads. Routes are easy to make. Recently however I have found myself on a disturbing number of unimproved dirt roads. Not just gravel, and Garmin is not avoiding this using the avoid unpaved roads. I found myself doing dirt recently on a farm road with no gravel and so rough the exhaust was grounding out. Settings were Fastest, Avoid Unpaved Roads. Any ride planning I do will continue to be with BaseCamp, but I really hope the map base gets more accurate with regard to paved roads.
Definitely a problem I have too. I've gotten in the habit of checking my routes with Google maps to see mostly where "the van" has gone. If it's not "blue line mapped" I prepare for dirt. Sometimes I can Google Earth it and see but most times not.

Great tutorial Ed, for those that have the patience to go through it. Question on map detail, you might have mentioned it before, but did you purchase maps for Basecamp specifically? Your video shows some great detail on secondary roads that I'm not able to find. I'm using the download map feature from my device (RV660LMT) that supposedly makes the device map available in BC for plotting a route. I have not found that to be the case as the map detail for BC is just not good enough for anything but generic routing, i.e. to a city, but forget trying to find an address and mark it as a waypoint. I've done the 10 step process of importing Google Maps routes I've created, but I still end up having to create the route on the GPS manually as only the waypoints/addresses from GM load up, not the routing. I'm really not wanting to shell out another $60+ for maps just to plan a route on the computer at home only to load it on a GPS that already has a decent map. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way Ed, nice job creating the video and the documentation. Very few people take the time to do it, while many take advantage of it. I've figured out my own method which works for me, but I see where this could help plenty of people. The title may be a little strong, but it has prompted a lot of open discussion about different methods.
I'm not sure why some people have to take a "holier than thou" attitude when their OF flares up and can't be bothered to learn anything new.
I do not think it is hyperbole for Eastern Riders who use Basecamp in conjunction with the website that I provided. That makes Basecamp way more powerful than anything else out there. Give the website a good look.

Great tutorial Ed, for those that have the patience to go through it. Question on map detail, you might have mentioned it before, but did you purchase maps for Basecamp specifically? Your video shows some great detail on secondary roads that I'm not able to find. I'm using the download map feature from my device (RV660LMT) that supposedly makes the device map available in BC for plotting a route. I have not found that to be the case as the map detail for BC is just not good enough for anything but generic routing, i.e. to a city, but forget trying to find an address and mark it as a waypoint. I've done the 10 step process of importing Google Maps routes I've created, but I still end up having to create the route on the GPS manually as only the waypoints/addresses from GM load up, not the routing. I'm really not wanting to shell out another $60+ for maps just to plan a route on the computer at home only to load it on a GPS that already has a decent map. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
No detailed roads usually means that you did not download the detailed map to your GPS and to Basecamp. Do you see map 2017.2? GPS only is the default. Another possibility is that you do not have map detail set to highest.

No detailed roads usually means that you did not download the detailed map to your GPS and to Basecamp. Do you see map 2017.2? GPS only is the default. Another possibility is that you do not have map detail set to highest.
Ed,

Yep, have map version 2017.2 and map detail set to highest. Problem might be the RV gps I'm using vs. a Zumo that might contain higher detail maps. Even though the RV660 maps are not quite as good as GM, it still shows way more detail than what is depicted in BC. I've figured a work around, it takes more steps, but as noted, I've spent enough bucks with Garmin and I'm not going to spring for a third of the GPS cost more for maps for their software. Thanks again, nice job on the how-to article.

I followed the guide and tried a few of the exercises. Several things it told you to do weren't possible - options in menus or pop-ups simply weren't there (and I have no updates available) BUT I did learn a several tricks (procedures) and extrapolating from there I found myself able to use the software much more easily than before. So, thank you for your considerable efforts!

I do not think it is hyperbole for Eastern Riders who use Basecamp in conjunction with the website that I provided. That makes Basecamp way more powerful than anything else out there. Give the website a good look.

Actually I am going to do just that. While I found a method that works for me, perhaps Basecamp offers something I haven't thought of yet. To be perfectly honest, I thought it was a program you got with your Garmin and was unavailable to others. If I can manage to get some free time, I'm going to look through this tutorial more carefully. Might be in the winter though.
uhoh.gif

Planning is usually something I do only for group rides. My priority is the group and I've not lost anyone yet. It reduces stress knowing that I have a guideline. I pick a POI and then figure out a way to get there. Nobody ever seems to want to lead a group. With me and my methods, its one of my favorite things to do.

I have worked at Basecamp and we have come to terms. :)

Still not an intuative software but I have been able to create routes and upload to the GPS.

My bitch is that I can't offload the map from the GPS to my computer and have to have the GPS connected to the computer to have the N America map available.

Really?!?!?

I have worked at Basecamp and we have come to terms.
smile.png
Still not an intuative software but I have been able to create routes and upload to the GPS.

My bitch is that I can't offload the map from the GPS to my computer and have to have the GPS connected to the computer to have the N America map available.

Really?!?!?
From the tutorial:

"Use Garmin Express to update both the map in BaseCamp AND the map in your GPS to the latest version. For new map update installations, there is an option under the link "Advanced Options" that allows you to update both maps at the same time. If you do not select this option then only your GPS will be updated. If you have previously loaded the maps only to the GPS you can use Garmin Express to load a copy to your computer. Under "Map Options" select "Install to Computer". Then "Accept agreement" and finally "Continue"

there is an option under the link "Advanced Options" that allows you to update both maps at the same time.
Options" select "Install to Computer". Then "Accept agreement" and finally "Continue"

Nope. Not in my case.

Contacted Garmin as well.

No go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed,

Once I've selected way points and routes for a trip, how can I email them to someone? I see you show how to share while on the road but I did a search on "email" and did not find how to share via email.

Ed,
Once I've selected way points and routes for a trip, how can I email them to someone? I see you show how to share while on the road but I did a search on "email" and did not find how to share via email.
Got it. Export to a file and email the file.

There are a certain percentage of roads in the Garmin database that are not accurate. You set your preferences to avoid unpaved roads create your route. Start to ride the route and it takes you onto an unpaved road if you care to ride it. I generally stop, mark the location and name the error on my GPS. When I return home I send an error report to Garmin (option in basecamp), showing the road and explanation. They always acknowledge and hopefully it is corrected in the next version of the mapset.

Sometimes I compare the route and view it in Google Earth (also an option in Basecamp) this may give you a clue to any errors. As well did you know you can view the elevation profile of your ride and also do a virtual flyover of your entire route in 3D? You can set the height, the angle of attack and the speed. You can export your route as a KML file and send it to others who don’t have a GPS and they can view your route in Google Maps.

It takes time to learn and absorb all this. It’s up to you if it is of interest to you and you want to put in the time. If not, find a pal who knows how and have them help or just follow them.

Perhaps there should be a Basecamp weekend similiar to the tech weekends that some of you attend.