Best year for FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Used, all 2006 models should be broken it by now, as this works well as the best looking color of course is the Cobalt Blue '06.

KM
I know Knifemaker kind of beat around the bush a little, but there is only one true answer. The 2006 A model.

-2006 because the only reason a Gen 2 bike would be created is because in Mama Yama's eyes, a Gen 1 bike has so many problems that it would just be better to start over.

-Blue, because it doesn't look like a Connie or a BMW, and it's gorgeous.

-The A model, because anything without a clutch is just a fast scooter.

Irrefutable, I know.

As far as speed, all years go like stink, and are able to do about 150 mph. 'Nuff said.

I know it`s friday so What is the best year to buy & what year has the fastest color :yahoo:
Gerard
Maybe I'm missing something here. I thought that DPF was going to be resurrected in honor of TWN. If I'm correct, Roadstar put out the bait, but no one took it. Correct Roadstar?
You got it :drinks:
Sorry Roadstar.... maybe it was your question. Next Friday, try asking what oil is best, maybe that'll do it!

The "Oh Three" may well be the fastest.... But, they can still 'tour', too....

(even in '08)

Penasco Amarillo:

3050800126_4e40b7b73a.jpg

Cebollita Mesa:

3050801062_5ef9a56ab4.jpg

The 03-04 peaked my interest, but the silver just didn't do it. But when I saw the galaxy blue, the world stood still for a minute. I cashed in the kids college fund and haven't had any regrets.

And I think the bike with the skinny ass on it will always out quick me.

The '08 is certainly more enjoyable than my '05 that I rode for 52K. Less heat, better seat, much better display, nice brakes with less dive and bars that can be adjusted to an acceptable height and reach... and oh yes, much less heat. Nice bike.

I have an admitted bias for the Gen.11 FJR's, because I own an 06 and I also love the cobalt blue. I also like the

improvements they made and the changes in body panels make the bike more aggressive looking. However, performance

really has but one major determining factor, WEIGHT. You can have performance headers, no cats, slip-ons, aggressive fuel and air management and the fastest 03 model and if I weigh 130lbs. (I don't!) and you weigh 220lbs, I'm blowing your doors off. Which seems very difficult, since motorcycles don't have doors. Plus, if your riding with system cases on, or heaven forbid, a top case, your losing more ground. My fellow FJR brothers, performance is all about the weight. The more you have the slower you are, and the less you have, the faster you are. So indeed, if there are any FJR owners who weigh about 110lbs., my guess is that you may have the fastest FJR. By the way, at 215lbs, I'm probably out of the running. But it really doesn't matter, because my 06FJR is the best looking and the fastest, because its mine and not yours! Gotta love your machine!!!

Regarding faster: The 03 will out run an 05 with any 3rd gear, 4th gear and 5th gear roll ons. I did at least a dozen of these when my bike was new against an 03. I did not do any drags because the other guy had years of drag strip experience. It was very clear to me then that the 03 just flat out pulls away from the 05. And for the real world, we don't do 154mph except to see if we can.

But, I really like the 05 and plan on picking another one this year to replace my current 05. I will continue to ride the current one until it reaches 100,000 plus miles. I will use the extra wheels to make for overnight tire changes, etc. Anyway, I have shocks, brake lines, smuggler and other goodies that fit the 05 and not newer models.

The 2006 and 2007 models are the same aside from color (2006=blue, 2007=cherry). 2008 and 2009 models are the same aside from lighter clutch pull on the 2009 and some previously-silver parts are now black on the 2009.

I love my silver 2003. I haven't been on any other model so I can't give any advice on which is better. The silver doesn't show dirt as much as the darker colors, I can wipe off the mufflers and rims and the bike looks clean.

Gerard

Maybe I'm missing something here. I thought that DPF was going to be resurrected in honor of TWN. If I'm correct, Roadstar put out the bait, but no one took it. Correct Roadstar?

You got it :drinks:

Sorry Roadstar.... maybe it was your question. Next Friday, try asking what oil is best, maybe that'll do it!

I was not trying to be funny , but it was a kind of tribute to a person you members really liked . I hope i didn`t offend anyone by this , but on my other post some people seemed down so i thought this would pick them up a little.

I am not some kid that jumps from forum to forum to start trouble. I was on a ride & there were some FJR`s there & for some reason or another for years i was just stuck on the ST1100-1300`s & the Kawasaki Concours. But when i saw the FJR in person (really only noticed in magazines) it opened my eyes to them (i`m a Honda & Yamaha man) I`m used to going to the Concours owners group forum & most of the people talk about how fast there color is , only because they made it for so long there pretty much wasn`t much to brag about but color & farkles. I was so glad to go on that ride & meet some really great people & learned how nice the FJR is. It`s a shame how quite Yamaha is about this bike & most of the time you go to the dealer & IF you see one it`s most of the time stuffed off to the side or like Rays Yamaha they had one near the scooters. (must have been the AE , as it was silver color) So with that i`ll just stay on the side line & read as much as i can about the great bike .

Hey Roadstar, you know which color/year is the best, you saw it on that ride. The Galaxy Blue '05, man! Anyway, it was good riding with you. I was impressed how you managed to put that big ol' cruiser through the turns. And it's great to hear that you are thinking fondly about the FJR. If you have any questions about the bike give me a holler. (If I don't konw the answer, I will harass Wild72. Not so much to get an answer, just 'cause I like to harass him.) And let's get together for some more road time, COLD BE DAMNED!! :cold: One last thing, thanks for trying to get DPF back up to speed. I guess most of us here do not have TWN's piling skills.

Any year would be a good year to buy a FJR. They are all fine machines. That's why everyone is partial to their year bike. To tell the difference, one would have had spent time on every model year made.

Gen II has many more conviences than the Gen I. But for speed, I've owned the '03 and '07 and I must conceed that my '03 was much more responsive and faster than my '07 is. That part I miss, but I do not miss the heat issue of the '03 which was a pain on my legs, etc. When riding in hot weather, the added heat from the '03 was unbearable at times but when cold weather arrives, it was a warm welcome.

So please give me the best of both worlds one of these years. Or is there another bike out there that would fit my needs? Tell me.

Last edited by a moderator:
So with that i`ll just stay on the side line & read as much as i can about the great bike .
AU contrere, mon ami! With your insight and wit you "fit" in this madhouse. One would hope you see that others are also enjoying the repartie.
Yeah, what Mike said, you fit right in here Roadstar. I'm like you, I was a died in the wool Honda man, until a friend let me ride his (fastest?) 03' and I was hooked. Matter of fact, there are no longer any Hondas in my garage, only the FJR and 3 Suzuki DRZ 400s. Welcome to the forum, post your questions and don't worry about getting piled on once in a while, it sure beats a blanket party!

So with that i`ll just stay on the side line & read as much as i can about the great bike .
AU contrere, mon ami! With your insight and wit you "fit" in this madhouse. One would hope you see that others are also enjoying the repartie.
Too much French for this ole Texas boy. But, I think it's a great bike know matter the year. :p

2004, non-ABS.
This is the finest motorcycle of all FJRs ever produced in the History of Man.

True story.
OK i`ll bite , can you explain why ??? a few post down you talk about the 03 (i mean up now) & i see you have one , but why the 04. (HMMMMMM)

By the way i`m going tomorrow to look at an 07 with 16,000 mi`s :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the heat my '05 throws...

There is only about 4 weeks a year here it is even close to an issue. In those weeks I am usually not doing stop and go city riding, so even then it's not an issue.

Thought about trading up, but nah...I'm keeping her (and yeah, blue is my favorite color anyway)

Latest posts