Big Hit in Eastern Wyoming, Healing the Weeks After a Get Off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wowtch!

from your original post;

Lessons learned so far:

• Sheep and FJRs don't mix.
  • Our whole 911 system is something we shouldn't take for granted. It works pretty danged well.
  • Moms and Dads are the coolest.
  • iPhones are more robust than one thinks
  • Pooping normal is not something that ever should be taken for granted
  • I'm lucky to be alive
Thanks for these thoughts to remember!

Best,

Khunajawdge

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, somebody should create a helo icon for the sig line. You two, OM, and probably others can be the charter members of THAT club, and welcome to it.
HvPr1s7.png

https://i.imgur.com/HvPr1s7.png

dSkHe68.png

https://i.imgur.com/dSkHe68.png

ANugXaT.png

https://i.imgur.com/ANugXaT.png

Holy Crap, Ignacio. I just bumped into this thread. My hair caught fire a few sentences in and I didn't exhale until the feeling better part showed up. WOW! That must have been brutal. Glad the healing has begun. It will be a slow slog to normal, it'll come. Godspeed my friend. You WiILL ride again.
smile.png

Heal well and soon. You were lucky in many ways after the accident. May your luck continue. Get the 2016.

One lucky person glad you are healing well and hope you ride another day. What cell phone carrier you have? Not all work out there where you were...

So sorry to hear of your accident. I was wondering what had occurred.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

You were the first guy I met who owned an FJR after I bought my first one. You've logged a lot of miles since then!

Wow Matt, welcome to the FJR/HELO club. Unfortunately the membership just keeps growing, slowly.

I'm glad to hear you're still with us. From the sound of it, as bad as it was it could have turned out a hell of a lot worse. Someone was looking out after you and got you in the right location to obtain help when it happened. Like you said a mile or so in either direction would have rendered that iPhone useless.

Heal quick, follow the doctors orders (except for the one about staying away from them murdercycles), and keep that pillow handy to clutch against your chest when you feel another cough or sneeze coming on.

The bike is just a thing that is easily replaceable, don't fret it.

Brodie

:)

An update:

Monday: After puking and pooping 8+ pounds of nasty stuff the overall edema is down and now I'm just plain ol' sore all the time. Visited doc on a follow-up and fresh x-ray shows my clavicle is busted in the middle and not close to growing back together. Waiting on call from orthopod to start that process...I bet I have to get it pinned. Doesn't hurt really, but I know I'm just not healing that part until something gets done.

Sorry to read about this crash. I am glad to see that you are healing. Even the clavicle issue is minor compared to how it could have gone. Keep us posted on your recovery and please add some words about your thoughts regarding future riding.

Sorry to hear the clavicle will need surgery; that means a longer recovery. Hope the docs get it right the first time around and you heal with no permanent complications.

Like all I am sorry to read about your big hit and thrilled you are on your way to recovery. Matt noted ".....1/2 mile either side of where I was didn't work. I already knew I was lucky."

I would not trust any cell service to for rescue purposes so I carry a Personal Emergency Locator beacon - it is a ACR Electronics 2881 Resqlink Plus GPS PLB 406 MHz. This is the go to device for sure fire rescue. These units have better coverage than Spot devices and certainly a cell phone.

Hope nobody takes this as a thread jack but rather as an attempt to share information about rescue options and staying safe. A 1/2 mile one way or the other and no way to get help. Wow........

Motorcyclists are a unique bunch, buddy went down 2 weeks ago on gravel, totaled the Ninja, some bruises and 3 broken ribs one of which is being monitored as it is not lining up exactly right, no riding for 6 weeks and we all know everything is rib connected.I had a little surgery 5+ weeks ago and was told do nothing and lift no more than 10 lbs for 4 weeks. 4 weeks and a day took a short ride, got home and peed a little orangish/pinkish so I guess I will wait a bit longer. Tomorrow I will be helping drive my friends truck, towing a U-haul bike trailer, 87 miles to pick up his new 2014 (leftover) Ninja with bags and all, did all his shopping from his recliner while healing, when the insurance check came he was good to go. So Matt, I was very sorry to read of your misfortune and wish you the best, get your shopping started in the down time. All the responses illustrated just what a unique community we are part of. Any day above ground.