Bike Instability above 70mph on interstate

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inflating both tyres to 42/42 made a world of difference to mine.
However, I remain somewhat unconvinced by the bike's stability in crosswinds and particularly with a taller screen, dreadful Limey heretic that I am.
As another limey heretic, I find my FJRs no worse than other bikes with windscreens that I've ridden at motorway+ speeds.
Best advice I have is (apart from the tyre pressures etc people have mentioned above) is try to relax more, guide the bike with loose arms, don't fight it. Yes, I t will suffer in turbulence from other vehicles, but it will track true if you let it. Same with cross-winds. The old adage "look where you want to go" applies here as in all motorcycling.
I must say that I have nothing but respect for my fellow Limey interloper here, not least because he's been through more bikes, covered more miles and - dare I say it - has a, um, handful more years under his belt, so I am prepared to think I'm just being a bit oversensitive about it.

But the FJR remains something of a curate's egg in my mind, at least when I think back to how composed the Norge was. It doesn't help that the three-wheel, cheap-ass Yam scoot I've just bought for messing about on over winter feels more planted at the front than its much bigger friend (though yes, three wheels helps a bit). So the FJR is flanked mentally by a Guzzi that felt imperturbable above 50mph, and a 125cc commuter that is unperturbed by anything: rain, wind, mud, manhole covers, poor surfaces, you name it. It's basically hilarious but I'll start another thread for that...

Can I ask: what are your suspension settings? I took the advice of others on the topic of tyre pressures so am willing to give some other tweaks a try.

I must say that I have nothing but respect for my fellow Limey interloper here, not least because he's been through more bikes, covered more miles and - dare I say it - has a, um, handful more years under his belt, so I am prepared to think I'm just being a bit oversensitive about it.

Can I ask: what are your suspension settings? I took the advice of others on the topic of tyre pressures so am willing to give some other tweaks a try.
Several hands-full more years ...
I weigh about 10 stone 8 pounds (that's 148 pounds for our American cousins), obviously plus gear and luggage. I usually have tyre pressures about 40/43 front/rear (cold). Usually leave my AS's suspension preload set for rider only even with luggage, damping set to standard.

Never had any weaving or unpredictable behaviour, but I do expect irregular movement when amongst heavy lorries, or sometimes even SUVs or similar. As I said above, I keep a relaxed grip on the handlebars and simply ride it out. Worst is overtaking heavies when there's a strong side-wind, it can jerk the bike both entering and leaving the lee of the vehicle. There's no regular weaving or wobbling, except rarely when (I suspect) some vehicles shed vortices, then a rapid rocking when closing on said vehicle.

Never had a Gen 1, so I suppose all this is not too helpful for the OP, but ...

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I'd add is to check your steering head bearings- if they're too loose, the front end will do what you're talking about. At that age it's a possibility.

Most things covered.

My addition to this thread is when passing trucks stay to the left as much as possible. You will avoid a lot of the turbulence. You should also drop a gear or two and pass as quickly as possible. Tuning your suspension to your circumstances will also help greatly.

Good luck,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
My money's on the windshield as well. When I bought my FJR the previous owner had installed a large intended for touring windshield. I was on my way home (800 miles) from Kalispell, MT after purchase and this was my first actual ride on an FJR. All was pretty good until I got into the Columbia River gorge and the famous gorge wind which was blowing at around 40+ mph. Was strong enough to push large trucks around and my FJR became a handful. I was down to 40 mph and still could hardly handle it so I canceled my plans to make it home in one day. That windshield promptly found its way to the dump. I bought a Cee Bailey and have never had a handling problem since. Did have a deceleration steering head wobble that a new set of Michelin PR tires totally corrected. If you have the stock windshield maybe give it a try.

40/42 psi in the tires can't hurt and does wonders for tire wear.

I'll also say that my FJR is much better handling and overall easier to ride than the R1150RT it replaced and when people say the FJR is top heavy I say not in comparison to the RT, imo of course.

rbentnail got it right. It drifts back and forth about 4 inches on the front while behind a big rig. Even 15 car lengths back it is still noticeable. My biggest issue is passing a big rig. It feels so sloppy that I don't think I would want to try passing one in a curve... Almost has the feeling of almost no weight on the front wheel.
I will do more testing and let you all know what I find! I really appreciate all of the help!

Brian.
My solution on my '07 was to go with a Gen3 rear shock. I'm fairly light at 185-ish but my old tired shock was done. It did not, as others say, make a new bike, but much of the lane drifting at higher speeds is gone. I think I still have the old one, if you think it can be rebuilt for little $$ you're welcome to it for the cost of shipping. Let me know, I'll conduct a search for it.

When I switched to a Cee Bailey shield for winter, I got buffering that made me think something was wrong with the bike. I even posted a question about it. Normal with winter crosswinds, even more so around trucks and vans.