Boots Have New Sole - W/PR2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to know what you used to cut the tire?
Steak knife … of course !

The hardest part was the initial penetration through the tire. Once you are able to "Saw" it, it takes about 1 minute per sole.

And an update:

Gorilla Glue was a total fail. I kinda knew it would be before I tried it, but was too lazy to find something better.

Last night I ordered some Black Shoe Goo with anticipation of the Gorilla Glue failing, then this morning (24 hours cure time) I pealed the sole off this morning with little effort.

So when the Shoe Goo arrives, it will be part 2 of the experiment.

According to the web sites I have looked at, the PR4 will give you 25% longer tread life.

I have used shoe goo many years ago, more so as a filler and as I recall it was a very temporary patch at best.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the web sites I have looked at, the PR4 will give you 25% longer tread life.
I have used shoe goo many years ago, more so as a filler and as I recall it was a very temporary patch at best.
Ahh my friend, there are different types of ShoeGoo now. Some are more adhesive than others. Clear, Black…

Check it out here:

Shoe Goo Lineup

Tony, are you really going to take a chance on those "Resoled" soles falling apart on you in mid flight? If it's just an experiment for fun then, that's ok. But Please! Have a new set of boots in one of your bags just in case... :)) Ohhhhh, and take pictures! :))

Ahh my friend, there are different types of ShoeGoo now. Some are more adhesive than others. Clear, Black…
Check it out here:

Shoe Goo Lineup
So, who woulda thunk they updated the product in the 30 or so years since I used it last.

I have a tube on order, and will hold you personally responsible for the success of the repair!

Too funny Tony. I've got tire that has less tread if you want to try it. We all knew that you rode a lot, now we know how you can afford it. LOL!!!

Jim

Don't laugh … just yet.I was very disappointed with the 1 year wear out of my Tourmaster Solution 2s:
Keep in mind this is only an experiment and I did not want to waste time. I did one boot only, and will check out its durability (Glue wise)If it fails- I have lost nothing but about 1 hour of my time.

SO do not laugh just yet.
rolleyes.gif

BTW- I can get 6 soles out of 1 tire!
I was thinking "damn you need some twisty roads so you can properly wear out that tire".
tonguesmiley.gif

Re Nike: I think it was Bill Bowerman that used his wife's waffle iron to put a waffle sole on a pair of shoes.

An Update:

I waited nearly 2 weeks for Black ShoeGoo to arrive.

I roughed up the sole and boot surface:

I found the knife cut left rough edges so I used a grinder and contoured the soles to the boots:

I then burned the tire strings around the edges, This got rid of the strings and heated the bonding surfaces.

Glued and clamped it down best I could with limited resources:

I then put an edge coat on to seal the boot and sole better:

Finished product:

Yesterday I rode 400 miles (With a pushing bump start included) and the bond and feel of the boots seem really solid.

Now if appearances are at the top of your list, I played around with texture. I found if you sprayed SPAM on a wood file (My test tool) while the glue was still soft - it would indeed add a professional looking texture.

So to recap:

I was able to get 6 soles out of 1 tire

I purchased 1 tube of ShoeGoo (Which was paid for buy the savings of the tire disposal fee)

Having done it now- I think the whole process would take less than 1 hour.

I plan on putting about 1k test miles on them later this week.

If it works out?
punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif
Savings !!!

I wonder if the softer edges will wear out faster than the harder compound center? That will probably depend if you only walk straight lines.
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts