Boots Have New Sole - W/PR2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flash,

A steak knife it was! The initial "Punch" through the tire is the toughest part of the process. A grinder does a nice job of touching up after the sole is glued.

The soles have about 2k on them now. This weekend will put another 3k. The one thing I did notice so far: No foot dragging with these soles, they will grip like glue on any road surface.

I'm totally pissing my pants reading this thread.... not sure how I could have missed it....

Thanks for the education and a good laugh.... !!

So Roger (Rogdeb) asked a question and BigOgre brought up this 3-year old thread, which I read with interest. And the question hanging in the air is . . . how did it work out? Tony never did give a final report on all this. Hope we can get an update with the revival of this story. I'm applauding your creative solution, and hope it really IS a solution--long term. The best case is you're still wearing the boots and have put half a million miles or so on them. Let us know.

From what I hear. It is your turn Rog. Cut open those car tires from that Canam tri-cycle!

Use Shoegoo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny Puppy ;-)) <------- that's a smink

BUT !! But aaahhh, they're not car tires, but just look like them.

Motorcycle specific from Kenda - pieces of crap for mileage apparently - should only get 11k-12k at rear and 20k on front - depending on ...

Will be car tires when needed though
smile.png
-- on the reverse trike -- gotta get it right ya know !

I will give an final impressions update on this thread. The experiment IMO was a total success!

I used a pair of Tourmaster Solution 2 boots. These boots are a cheaper boot with great water protection and

very good initial comfort, but the soles do not have a long wear life. After the failure with Gorilla Glue, Shoe Goo was

the solution for adhesive.

* 1 Tire = 6 soles

* Thickness of the sole desired can be determined by the amount of wear left on the tire.

The thickness I used was a bit heavier than the original boot. Inseam challenged riders could really benefit by this method.

(If you have 1 leg longer than the other: no problem! Use different wear amounts between R & L soles)

* The soles can have a clean "Professional look" Just use Shoe Goo on the tie-in on the sides. While still wet, use any impression object desired,

spray it with a nonstick spray (Spam, WD-40…) and press (Or roll) object repeatedly along the edge. And presto !!!!

* The soles had little or no wear after 2 years when the boots gave out.

* The boots had amazing grip on the roads and stuck like glue when my foot was initially planted. (Good for grip- Bad for dragging)

This concludes my search for a cheap solution to replacing worn out soles. I will use this method again.

-Tony (The Cheap bas…. No… the Thrifty Rider)
rolleyes.gif

Damn. and I thought I did great by buying brand new comfortable BILT boots for twenty dollars. Yes, 20 bucks. On-sale, blow-out. And they are really quite good.
punk.gif