Borderline dangerous epic adventure wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding Half Dome. My sources tell me that on most days you need to get on the trail by 4 a.m., hike for several hours to get to the base, then wait in line to get on the rock.

From what I hear it's well worth it.

Just thought you should know what you're getting yourself into.

Cav, do you really want to be in 120 temps and down to 105 at night? I have been to Death Valley many times but only Nov-March so your on your own with the heat. Funny part is that's when the park is busy as folks come from around the world to bake in DV.

It truly is a magical place with colors and rock formations on a grand scale, not many places better for star gazing (at least in the winter when I was there).

Scroll down to view park map https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/outdooractivities.htm

The park is huge and distances are farther than they appear. Here's a taste of what to see, if you do go I can get much more detailed. How about you and the kid hike up to the top of Telescope Peak and give a RR as I have not done this. You will be over 11,000 feet looking down to the east at Badwatera couple hundred feet below sea level. Not many places in the world you can do that.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Beatty,+NV/Titus+Canyon,+Inyo+County,+CA/Scotty%27s+Castle,+Inyo+County,+CA/Ubehebe+Crater,+Inyo+County,+CA/Mosaic+Canyon,+Inyo+County,+CA/Skidoo,+CA/Aguereberry+Point,+California/Artists+Dr,+California/Dantes+View,+Inyo+County,+CA/@36.6245389,-117.6497343,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m61!4m60!1m10!1m1!1s0x80b898d367a1b6f9:0xc6776c0873ea0776!2m2!1d-116.7592265!2d36.9085566!3m4!1m2!1d-117.0722024!2d36.8490568!3s0x80b8ae99e568361f:0xdd7c0e9517098f4!1m5!1m1!1s0x80b8accaab6e6bd9:0xe07f906ad36fb6fc!2m2!1d-117.1734009!2d36.8227214!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c7543c87261a8f:0xdb296bbc407d5af2!2m2!1d-117.341816!2d37.031714!1m5!1m1!1s0x80bf38d4282cbfd1:0x565662db97db36db!2m2!1d-117.4497938!2d37.0099341!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c752d46b1eb693:0xabd5d8d1679ca4e1!2m2!1d-117.1692306!2d36.599668!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c74ae90f366d71:0x7e8c19b62e44a34e!2m2!1d-117.14667!2d36.43556!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c736ce9c04e1c1:0x506aa7c071c7071b!2m2!1d-117.0481127!2d36.3577257!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c73d0d623e96ef:0x40d216d43b0669b0!2m2!1d-116.8241935!2d36.3704243!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c71e6785b673ff:0xa94a69f36db606a5!2m2!1d-116.7255878!2d36.2210689!3e0?hl=en

If you still alive after this epic adventure wherever you go it will may never be that hot as the valley floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cav, do you really want to be in 120 temps and down to 105 at night? I have been to Death Valley many times but only Nov-March so your on your own with the heat. Funny part is that's when the park is busy as folks come from around the world to bake in DV.It truly is a magical place with colors and rock formations on a grand scale, not many places better for star gazing (at least in the winter when I was there).

Scroll down to view park map https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/outdooractivities.htm

The park is huge and distances are farther than they appear. Here's a taste of what to see, if you do go I can get much more detailed. How about you and the kid hike up to the top of Telescope Peak and give a RR as I have not done this. You will be over 11,000 feet looking down to the east at Badwatera couple hundred feet below sea level. Not many places in the world you can do that.

If you still alive after this epic adventure wherever you go it will may never be that hot as the valley floor.
Bug, a suggestion was made about hiking to the top of Half Dome, so I shot my boy a text about researching that and after we talked and he realized that our elevation here is about 600ft, we crossed that off the list. The 14 mile hike that starts at 4am was daunting enough. Couple that with the elevation issues that us flatlanders will have, we know it would be epic, but doubt we would enjoy it.

I looked at the temps and 116 is the high next week and the lows are middle 80s. We looked at Titus Canyon road on google maps, and we are in for sure. That is booked in his plan. I will research Telescope Peak for sure.

Scotty's Castle is worth the visit but I see it's closed mid week. Other than Telescope Peak all other destinations I listed you can drive to and then hike as much or little as you want. Aquereberry Point is awesome and no hiking involved -no danger.

You two are much younger than most old farts here so I believe you must hike part or all of Telescope Peak. Remember you drop 3 degrees in temp for every 1000' in elevation, nice and cool up there.
uhoh.gif

My Ridgeline will go off-road some and we are up for the challenge.
Your Ridgeline will go off road -- "some" (I have an '07) but not like a Jeep Rubicon. No skid pan and not exceptionally high clearance.

I tested mine at Walker River Resort in Smith, NV. Great fun but had to take it real slow.

The firearms we took were an added bonus
smile.png

Whatever you and Connor get up to I'm sure you'll have fun.

Enjoy every moment that you can manage to steal with your boy.
This evening I went out to dinner with three fellow riders after a bit of twisties. In the restaurant a couple of tables over was a father and his ~6-year-old son. The dad was talking on his cell phone, and the boy was playing with a computer tablet. Dad, get your f**king priorities in order! Jeebus!

Well, bring him to Albuquerque and I'll take him on a weekend graveyard ride-along in our south valley. Quite honestly, it doesn't get any more dangerous than that. He'll need a Kevlar vest and a helmet...

Seriously, if you have time, go visit White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns. WS is cool, just because it's miles and miles of white sand. Carlsbad is something most people should see. It's a good part of a day to hike down and back up, but an elevator can be ridden from the bottom for a faster route.

Call ahead and get scheduled for a tour of the King's Room. That's worth it also.

There's Pikes Peak in Colorado, all the National Parks these guys already mentioned, and cool places to drive through like Gunnison CO and Aspen CO.

Bring him to Angelfire NM, rent two bikes, and take the ski lift to the top. They have downhill bike trails set up. That is both epic and dangerous enough to get the adrenaline running. The good thing is, at elevation, you don't have to climb. Just tighten up your balls and haul ass down...Well, maybe grab some brake also, just so you don't actually die.

[W]ith one request from Connor. "Dad, I would like to have a Borderline Dangerous Epic Adventure!"
We all know what he wants, now I just want to oblige that.

Go-Karting???
White-water rafting???

Donkey riding???

Waddabunchadorks!!!

Get the boy laid! That's what he's askin' for.
lol.gif
That's exactly what I thought when I read this. Was just waiting for someone to come along and say it more eloquently than I could.

Sorry Mike and Steve, but you guys are kind of weirding me out there.

When I was 12, I'd have much rather spent a couple of great days riding dirt bikes though the woods with my friends, or better yet my Dad (if only he was keen on it) than struggling to put my little virgin pecker inside some skanky old hoe's well worn snail track. Not only would that not be looked forward to, it would be a huge source of anxiety and embarrassment to pre-teen age boy.

Besides, I'm sure the boy has at least one hand with reasonable dexterity, and easy access to Internet Pr0n, on the web so surely he is not in such dire need of "sexual relief" that he needs to risk a venereal disease to get it.

You can have sex pretty much any time during your life. Hell, all of us old farts are living testimony that even geriatrics can fuck. That talent is not particularly unique That "thrill" doesn't even come close to qualifying as "an adventure", unless your idea of adventure is taking the gamble of getting something "special" growing on your unit to take home with you.
unsure.png

I've never wished that my Dad and I shared some special sexual encounter with "paid for" sex.

You guys are like Jack Nicholson and Otis Young in the "Last Detail". I think you may have missed the point of that one... At least Randy Quaid got some of the world's finest Italian sausage in addition to getting his own weiner serviced then

Borderline dangerous?, hmmm.

Well pretty much anything on your M/C especially when factored in weather, possible oily roads, wet tar snakes, 4 legged forest rats and other furry creatures would or could be called borderline dangerous.

But the Donkey/Mule ride along the brim of the GC was a pretty good suggestion. Those dang mules step pretty much right on the very edge. You'll surely get a few wft's. The helicopter ride is fun and I think yur Son would enjoy that as well. If you want it more dangerous, ask the pilot to kill the engine mid-flight.

wink.png

I'll be looking for your RR.

Those dang mules step pretty much right on the very edge.
Back in 87 when I did the overnite trip trip the bottom, on the way up near the top with a mile drop off the mule in front of mine tried to kick my mule in the head. Well my mule jumped all fours STRAIT up in the air about 4 feet, that was borderline dangerous!
hyper.gif

[W]ith one request from Connor. "Dad, I would like to have a Borderline Dangerous Epic Adventure!"
Go-Karting??? White-water rafting??? Donkey riding??? Waddabunchadorks!!! Get the boy laid! That's what he's askin' for.
:lol2: That's exactly what I thought when I read this. Was just waiting for someone to come along and say it more eloquently than I could.
Guys, he is 15!! He has been hitting it for 2 years already. TOTALLY JOKINGLY. No chance of me or him engaging in that type of perversion.

If you knew this kid better, that is near the last thing he would consider. Some of you are creepy!! He has a few girls show interest in him and his response is blah. Not reciprocated by him much at all.

Borderline dangerous?, hmmm.
Well pretty much anything on your M/C especially when factored in weather, possible oily roads, wet tar snakes, 4 legged forest rats and other furry creatures would or could be called borderline dangerous.

But the Donkey/Mule ride along the brim of the GC was a pretty good suggestion. Those dang mules step pretty much right on the very edge. You'll surely get a few wft's. The helicopter ride is fun and I think yur Son would enjoy that as well. If you want it more dangerous, ask the pilot to kill the engine mid-flight.

;)

I'll be looking for your RR.
Top, we are going in the Ridgeline, not on the bike. I am not putting my 6-2 230lb boy on the back of the FJR. The mule trip does sound cool.
Right now, our itinerary includes either the north or south rim. Still deciding which is going to be the best for camping and adventure. Our destination has a big determination on which road we take. North rim means northern route through Colorado. Likely we will stop around Colorado Springs that night after 1000 miles from home and let him wake up and see the Rockies in the morning. South rim means heading south through Amarillo and then continuing toward Albuquerque. We are hoping for some good info to help us make these "tough" decisions.

Going to drive to Vegas and let him look at some of the sites. Bellagio fountains and some other sites. The kid loves Pawn Stars and we may find the shop if he wants and we have time.

We are going to take the Titus canyon drive that Bug suggested. We looked it up google maps street view, and there was mini vans doing it.

Meeting my brother and his 15yr old at Yosemite for a day and spending the night there somewhere. Looking for a reasonable hotel there. It will be time for a hotel day.

Going back to Foster City with them for a day at the Pacific Ocean. Will be his first time west of St. Louis, so this will be pretty amazing. And we will have just begun our trip at this point.

We are camping on the ocean somewhere in Northern California. The best thing is we are playing all by ear after this point and most of the above plans are fluid as need be.

I appreciate the suggestions and even the absurdity of you all. I want him to remember this trip and take his children on something like this someday.

And of course I will put up a report!! Best way to chronicle our time together.

Go-Karting??? White-water rafting??? Donkey riding??? Waddabunchadorks!!! Get the boy laid! That's what he's askin' for.
lol.gif
That's exactly what I thought when I read this. Was just waiting for someone to come along and say it more eloquently than I could.
Guys, he is 15!! He has been hitting it for 2 years already. TOTALLY JOKINGLY. No chance of me or him engaging in that type of perversion.If you knew this kid better, that is near the last thing he would consider. Some of you are creepy!! He has a few girls show interest in him and his response is blah. Not reciprocated by him much at all.
All in jest guys. Sheesh! Cav, my youngest is starting HS this year and while we bust his chops about girls here and there (not as much as his older brother though) there's definitely limits.

For support I'll share something here. A couple/three years ago we ended up with last minute tickets to the Indy 500. Too late to book a reasonable flight and my wife not wanting to drive, my son and I jumped in the truck and headed out late that week. All day on the road there and back, decent motel with a pool, and got to know distant cousins from Cali who he's never met. Shanksville too on the way home. The race of course was cool but so was learning how to read a map and looking for the next Dennys. All good stuff, for me anyways I thought. But not a month ago out of the blue he asked me when we could do another "adventure" like Indy. You just never know how or when you're going to create memories Wish you the best of times on your adventure.

A note on the GC mule ride: It will be nearly as hot as Death Valley when you're down in the Canyon on those mules plodding down the trail. Mules don't have AC. Just sayin'.

Whew! I almost reposted 9 times while waiting for this one to load.