Borderline dangerous epic adventure wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Borderline dangerous?, hmmm.
Well pretty much anything on your M/C especially when factored in weather, possible oily roads, wet tar snakes, 4 legged forest rats and other furry creatures would or could be called borderline dangerous.

But the Donkey/Mule ride along the brim of the GC was a pretty good suggestion. Those dang mules step pretty much right on the very edge. You'll surely get a few wft's. The helicopter ride is fun and I think yur Son would enjoy that as well. If you want it more dangerous, ask the pilot to kill the engine mid-flight.

wink.png

I'll be looking for your RR.
Top, we are going in the Ridgeline, not on the bike. I am not putting my 6-2 230lb boy on the back of the FJR. The mule trip does sound cool.
Right now, our itinerary includes either the north or south rim. Still deciding which is going to be the best for camping and adventure. Our destination has a big determination on which road we take. North rim means northern route through Colorado. Likely we will stop around Colorado Springs that night after 1000 miles from home and let him wake up and see the Rockies in the morning. South rim means heading south through Amarillo and then continuing toward Albuquerque. We are hoping for some good info to help us make these "tough" decisions.

Going to drive to Vegas and let him look at some of the sites. Bellagio fountains and some other sites. The kid loves Pawn Stars and we may find the shop if he wants and we have time.

We are going to take the Titus canyon drive that Bug suggested. We looked it up google maps street view, and there was mini vans doing it.

Meeting my brother and his 15yr old at Yosemite for a day and spending the night there somewhere. Looking for a reasonable hotel there. It will be time for a hotel day.

Going back to Foster City with them for a day at the Pacific Ocean. Will be his first time west of St. Louis, so this will be pretty amazing. And we will have just begun our trip at this point.

We are camping on the ocean somewhere in Northern California. The best thing is we are playing all by ear after this point and most of the above plans are fluid as need be.

I appreciate the suggestions and even the absurdity of you all. I want him to remember this trip and take his children on something like this someday.

And of course I will put up a report!! Best way to chronicle our time together.
As long as you're in the vicinity of the Pacific Ocean you've got tons of things to do that are in the BDEA category.

- scuba diving in Monterey Bay

- Kiteboarding at any of a number of spots in San Francisco Bay

- Sky diving - available at multiple locations

- White water rafting is pretty tame by late July but there are a few places that can still be fun

- Surfing (cold water in the northern parts and generally strong currents - a lot safer and warmer in the south)

- Nearly limitless M/C or horse trail riding opportunities with Bugnatr!!

Hotels around Yosemite are few and far between and hard to come by in the peak summer months so you better get looking....

Wife and I did north rim in 2013, preceded by Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, and Arches. We loved them all, but if we could only do one again...Canyonlands might be at the top..or Bryce. Borderline dangerous depending how close you step over the edge of the cliff.

[W]ith one request from Connor. "Dad, I would like to have a Borderline Dangerous Epic Adventure!"

We all know what he wants, now I just want to oblige that.
Go-Karting??? White-water rafting??? Donkey riding??? Waddabunchadorks!!! Get the boy laid! That's what he's askin' for.
lol.gif
That's exactly what I thought when I read this. Was just waiting for someone to come along and say it more eloquently than I could.
Guys, he is 15!! He has been hitting it for 2 years already. TOTALLY JOKINGLY. No chance of me or him engaging in that type of perversion.If you knew this kid better, that is near the last thing he would consider. Some of you are creepy!! He has a few girls show interest in him and his response is blah. Not reciprocated by him much at all.
Oh Boy, FJR Forum Road Trip; Papa Chuy Viejo LOVES FJR Forum Road Trips, one step over the Line Sweet Jesus! I am so damn glad that my Buddies RadioHowie and BigOgre are just as sick and twisted as BeemerDonS.

Tell Connor he will never forget his fabulous night spent at the Adelita Bar in beautiful downtown Ciudad Nogales en Sonora Estado, Mexico ese! Arriba Arriba, Ai-Ai!

Borderline Dangerous Epic Adventure: Adelita Bar!

adelita-300x148.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Borderline dangerous?, hmmm.
Well pretty much anything on your M/C especially when factored in weather, possible oily roads, wet tar snakes, 4 legged forest rats and other furry creatures would or could be called borderline dangerous.

But the Donkey/Mule ride along the brim of the GC was a pretty good suggestion. Those dang mules step pretty much right on the very edge. You'll surely get a few wft's. The helicopter ride is fun and I think yur Son would enjoy that as well. If you want it more dangerous, ask the pilot to kill the engine mid-flight.

wink.png

I'll be looking for your RR.
Top, we are going in the Ridgeline, not on the bike. I am not putting my 6-2 230lb boy on the back of the FJR. The mule trip does sound cool.
Right now, our itinerary includes either the north or south rim. Still deciding which is going to be the best for camping and adventure. Our destination has a big determination on which road we take. North rim means northern route through Colorado. Likely we will stop around Colorado Springs that night after 1000 miles from home and let him wake up and see the Rockies in the morning. South rim means heading south through Amarillo and then continuing toward Albuquerque. We are hoping for some good info to help us make these "tough" decisions.

Going to drive to Vegas and let him look at some of the sites. Bellagio fountains and some other sites. The kid loves Pawn Stars and we may find the shop if he wants and we have time.

We are going to take the Titus canyon drive that Bug suggested. We looked it up google maps street view, and there was mini vans doing it.

Meeting my brother and his 15yr old at Yosemite for a day and spending the night there somewhere. Looking for a reasonable hotel there. It will be time for a hotel day.

Going back to Foster City with them for a day at the Pacific Ocean. Will be his first time west of St. Louis, so this will be pretty amazing. And we will have just begun our trip at this point.

We are camping on the ocean somewhere in Northern California. The best thing is we are playing all by ear after this point and most of the above plans are fluid as need be.

I appreciate the suggestions and even the absurdity of you all. I want him to remember this trip and take his children on something like this someday.

And of course I will put up a report!! Best way to chronicle our time together.
There will be a waiting line if any of the guys are in the shop that day. Believe it or not, they now are famous enough that they create a frenzy amongst the feeble ones just wanting a glimpse of them. There is also a VIP meet and greet. Deb and I were there just last Nov. and it is an easy find, located on the strip, just North of action alley and before old Vegas (Freemont St).

20141104_142545_zps8fcd010d.jpg

Not the real Ricky

20141104_142951_zpsfaed5216.jpg

4 years ago, I brought my (then) 14 yr old son Kris. He absolutely LOVED Vegas. There is so much there to do, and, even for the younger crowd. His fav thing was the catapult (sligshot?) launch up on top of the Stratosphere. I gotta say, that seemed border line dangerous to me, and I prid-near peed my drawers!

e09f287674faeb273c53fb3167dbf386.jpg

Top_Speed1-KJ, if you want to join the Adelita Bar and Whorehouse tour I can pick you up in Tucson at the airport. What happens in Nogales, stays in Nogales ese! JSNS, las Putas!

Top_Speed1-KJ, if you want to join the Adelita Bar and Whorehouse tour I can pick you up in Tucson at the airport. What happens in Nogales, stays in Nogales ese! JSNS, las Putas!
Oh, and I know Tucson quite well, Speedway, Broadway... all the ways! ese!

I lived there for a year while my g/f was a senior at UofA. I often think about that river raft ride with a keg in a truck inner tube floating down w us. Now that's some kool entertainment! :)

Not sure that Debbie would care for the whorehouse tour, lol.

Connor is reading along on the forum most of the time and thinks he wants to go Skydiving. I informed him he would be solo on that one. Call me scared if you wish.

We made our first reservation in Colorado Springs at Cheyenne Mountain State Park. https://coloradostateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/Cheyenne_Mountain_State_Park/r/campsiteDetails.do?siteId=6922&contractCode=CO&parkId=50081

Arrival time will be close to dark. We will wake up the next morning and the sun will be hitting the Front Range of the Rockies. Heading to Pikes Peak first thing after we pack up.

Million Dollar Highway is our next "planned" destination. After that, we are going to matriculate toward the 4 Corners monument. Start looking for a campground or boondock it on some of the National Lands out there. (I still need to read up on the restrictions of this, Please add info about this if you can)

Will make it to North Rim sometime the next day. Spend the day there and camp near by.

Be careful at the canyon , it truly is a dangerous place, easy access to stand on the edges of massive drop-offs. 24 people died there last year!

He could make a reservation and take a Glider ride from Moriarty, NM. There's great wind there and it's a big deal. I have never done it.

Noted Marcus!! Borderline hopefully being the operative word here.

A retired teacher friend of mine that I discussed the trip with strongly suggested we head toward the Olympic peninsula and specifically the "Wilderness Coast". He said he was there after the Eruption and recalled a river running full of ashes enough to make it like a slurry. He was our advanced placement Biology teacher. He has a small forest preserve named after him here. After the eruption, he and a couple fellow teachers jumped in a bus with some kids and drove to the area. Wow, have times changed.

He is having a little difficulty recalling the exact places he went, but he said that Washington Coast was the most beautiful, wild, and rugged in America. He is confined to a wheelchair pretty much all the time now due to a tumor near his spine. He did say that if he could go anywhere else again, ???50 mile Wilderness???would be where he would return to. I am having a hard time locating where he is talking about. Does this ring a bell for any of you PNW folks?? He said he recalled the driftwood diameter being larger than a man and sand less beach. I would really like to head this way and take him back via pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Connor....sure you don't wanna get laid?????
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
I've got to tell you the last time our RadioHowie got some "strange" was when his finger broke through the toilet paper, now that was really strange!
Now that line brings up past memories here. Kinda miss all that riff raff .

So Josh, You really don't need to pre-plan anything in Vegas, it all just happens so easily and magically. Ad-lib a day there, then tell me you two were bored. (simply impossible!)

On another note... Me and da boyz are coming thru with your suggested route (incl Starved Rock SP) on Sunday AM. Here's the route again if you wanna tag on/along for awhile, maybe even taket us to a good lunch hole. (your neighborhood).

The adventure starts now, Heading for Colorado today. Should be there by 9 tonight. Thanks for all the suggestions. Pics and report later.

The adventure starts now, Heading for Colorado today. Should be there by 9 tonight. Thanks for all the suggestions. Pics and report later.
Enjoy...

...there is nothing quite like the wide open savannah of the great plains.
biggrin.png

Seriously though, there is beauty everywhere and anywhere if you are looking for it. But try to have fun in the other scenic areas out west as well. Breathe deep the air of discovery and vacation time.

biggrin.png