Bosch 3323 oil filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought two in Wal-Mart last week. They were not cheap but they were the correct type.

Josh Mountain just had oil leak issues during the IBR. He used the Purolator filters. I wonder if they're shaped wrong. He has no idea WTF is going on, and I didn't remember that the Purolator filters were also coming up backwards.

I am still able to find the Bosch 3323 "innies" at my walmart. anyone want some, let me know.

At the very least, this is driving up sales of OEM filters, and driving down sales of online purchases where you can't "see it and feel it" first.

I am ok with buying in person.

My Bosch 3323 started leaking after 1,000 miles I didn't check to see if its an inny or an outy. Anything I need to do if I change it without draining the oil first? Is this even doable?

My Bosch 3323 started leaking after 1,000 miles I didn't check to see if its an inny or an outy. Anything I need to do if I change it without draining the oil first? Is this even doable?
Put a big tray underneath. A lot of oil will come out, though not all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a big tray underneath. A lot of oil will come out.
I just didn't want to be the guy at NAFO with an oil leak haha. Probably going to order an OEM off of Amazon and put it on before we leave for Colorado. Probably have to add a quart....or two....

Thank you sir for the reassurance!

Been checking 3323s for awhile whenever I pass them and have had no luck finding an innie. BUT the D3323s (Distance Plus) all seem to have the old design if that's any help.

If you lay the bike on it's right side first the oil won't come out when you change the filter, but you may pop a hernia trying to stand it back up.

YMMV

If you lay the bike on it's right side first the oil won't come out when you change the filter, but you may pop a hernia trying to stand it back up.

YMMV
To get it all the way over you really need to remove the right bag and the right mirror. You will still spill the oil that is in the filter all over the bike, that will need to be cleaned up as well.

I am sure it is soooo worth the effort to be able to save all that money though.

You could always just drain the oil as you normally would and then just put it back in as long as the container you are using is clean.

You could always just drain the oil as you normally would and then just put it back in as long as the container you are using is clean.
Good idea! I knew there was a reason why I joined the forum
punk.gif

If filter is leaking then the first thing to do is back it off 1/4 turn then retighten. Then try the other extreme measures only if that didn't work.

If filter is leaking then the first thing to do is back it off 1/4 turn then retighten. Then try the other extreme measures only if that didn't work.
I think you missed something in the first 5 pages of this thread. These aftermarket filters are built differently, sometimes. The inside face of the filter where the threads are is curved outward instead of inward so that there is metal to metal contact before the rubber gasket is compressed enough to prevent leaks. Works fine on the cars this filter was designed for, not very well on the FJR.

Good idea! I knew there was a reason why I joined the forum
punk.gif
Oh sure... you could do that. But the photo story would be much better laying it down on the right side. ;)

I think you missed something in the first 5 pages of this thread. These aftermarket filters are built differently, sometimes. The inside face of the filter where the threads are is curved outward instead of inward so that there is metal to metal contact before the rubber gasket is compressed enough to prevent leaks. Works fine on the cars this filter was designed for, not very well on the FJR.
I think you missed the statement of how his 3323 did not leak for 1,000 miles before developing the leak. If it worked for 1,000 miles then something was right.

Could it be that the seal was "just good enough" at first, but after 1000 miles exposed to heat cycles, and the elements, the rubber had shrunk/deteriorated/whatever enough to leak under pressure..

I think you missed the statement of how his 3323 did not leak for 1,000 miles before developing the leak. If it worked for 1,000 miles then something was right.
No, I did not. And it was never "right".

I will also respectfully disagree with your method. If an oil filter that I personally installed ever begins to leak, there is no need for me to re-tighten. Something would be mechanically or physically wrong and I would want that filter off of whatever piece of equipment it was installed on Right Now so I could determine and correct that issue.

Could it be that the seal was "just good enough" at first, but after 1000 miles exposed to heat cycles, and the elements, the rubber had shrunk/deteriorated/whatever enough to leak under pressure..
Bingo, we have a winner. Thanks by the way.

Latest posts