Bosch 3323 oil filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could always just drain the oil as you normally would and then just put it back in as long as the container you are using is clean.
Good idea! I knew there was a reason why I joined the forum
punk.gif
If you're just changing the filter, no need to drain the oil. All you'll lose is the excess that is in the filter....... a cupful maybe. Won't matter which side you lay the bike on, you'll lose that bit.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I will keep buying Yamaha oil filters. Then this is not a worry. :)
You are exactly correct. I have nothing against the OEM filters and have one on my bike now. Unfortunately, that was my last one and I now have a stock of the Mobile M1 filters. They are shaped correctly, but what happens if I'm away from home and happen to need a filter? The new union bolt will give me the ability to use whatever is on hand. Since the size of that bolt is the only limiting factor, why not make it able to accept either type, straight from the factory?

Either way, as silly as it may seem, I think it could be good insurance for that day something stupid happens. Or the day I do something stupid.

I got one of the modified oil filter bolts from NormKen at SEOR this year. Simple install, and solves the problem.

I went to get on the bike for a 80 mile trip and noticed a puddle under the front fairing. I got stressed thinking it was coming from the front side of the motor. Turns out it was the bosch oil filter leaking. I went to the auto parts store and all all they had was k&n for $17.....

The bosch was the first car filter ive used on it. I have been using k&n and oem. 1000 miles and it had a moderate leak,

I went to get on the bike for a 80 mile trip and noticed a puddle under the front fairing. I got stressed thinking it was coming from the front side of the motor. Turns out it was the bosch oil filter leaking. I went to the auto parts store and all all they had was k&n for $17.....The bosch was the first car filter ive used on it. I have been using k&n and oem. 1000 miles and it had a moderate leak,
contact forum member Norm Kern and get the modified oil filter adapter. I'm still using the Bosch with that. Filter designs have changed, resulting in less clearance between the threads and the adapter, such that the seal does not tightly contact the engine case. Unless you want to use OEM you need to change the adapter to one with a thinner bolt. It takes seconds to make the change and all the Bosch, Pure One, Purolator and othwr filters will fit again.

I had a nice stash of the *good* Bosch 3323 and 3300. Down to my last two 3300s. With the Tenere and FJR taking the same filter, I've switched to Mahle OC575. No fitment issues and about the same size and half the price as OE Yamaha.

YMMV

--G

Filter designs have changed, resulting in less clearance between the threads and the adapter, such that the seal does not tightly contact the engine case. Unless you want to use OEM you need to change the adapter to one with a thinner bolt. It takes seconds to make the change and all the Bosch, Pure One, Purolator and othwr filters will fit again.
Some car filters have changed, not all. You don't need to buy OEM or an expensive adapter.

It's not exactly expensive but IMHO it ain't worth paying for. If folks go by the Bin O' Facts data for Gen2 they'd think there's been a huge undertaking by filter mfr's to screw us over. Not so. IMHO folks need to have a bit of sense and simply open the box to see if it's an innie or an outtie filter being purchased and not take the (sometimes) kneejerk reactionaries so seriously.

I simplified and went over to the 5k oil changes/10k filter changes. This coincided with having to find something other than the 3323s I've been using. Found that the D3323 Distance Plus still has the original design and makes me feel better with the longer changes. A little more $$ but for once or twice a year I'm not going to sweat it. I wouldn't be surprised if these will be phased out though in favor of their Long Life line which I'm not sure will work on the bike.

I'm down to the last "good" 3323 from my stash, so it was time to find an alternative filter. I switched to the Hiflofiltro HF148. It's a moto-specific filter, and the box even shows this:

I ordered six of them from an Amazon seller for about $5 or $6 each, can't quite remember. Cheaper than OEM, seems like good quality, and I don't have to worry about innies and outies anymore.

I was wondering where my post went. I started a new thread about mine but guess the mods moved it here.

I havent had a problem with the k&n, its the bike filter, not the auto filter....if there is a difference. I will stick with oem but the dealer is 45 miles away.

I've been using the Purolator PL14610 for years without issue.

I bought eight of these filters when they went on sale at Pep Boys. They are orange, which doesn't match my 2015 bike. So, I painted them black! These filters work great and the price is low!

I had a nice stash of the *good* Bosch 3323 and 3300. Down to my last two 3300s. With the Tenere and FJR taking the same filter, I've switched to Mahle OC575. No fitment issues and about the same size and half the price as OE Yamaha.
YMMV

--G
Just received 3 of these from Amazon for $4.61 ea and free shipping after bundling them with a second item.

Thanks George!

Keep going!

I'm down to the last "good" 3323 from my stash, so it was time to find an alternative filter. I switched to the Hiflofiltro HF148. It's a moto-specific filter, and the box even shows this:

I ordered six of them from an Amazon seller for about $5 or $6 each, can't quite remember. Cheaper than OEM, seems like good quality, and I don't have to worry about innies and outies anymore.
Been using these off and on for yrs. I usually tack them on an order of a tire or something when they're on sale, as you say, for $5 or $6 each. It was the Gen2 Bin O' Facts reaction I spoke of earlier that deemed them unfit for whatever unknown reason. As you know, they still work fine.

Does anyone have experience with Mobil 1 oil filters M1-108 or M1-110? I read on another website that these Mobile 1 oil filters are great for the FJR. The M1-110 is a little longer. I can get them at 25% discount at PepBoys.com using 25PEP promo code. Has anyone tried these oil filters? I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil, so the Mobil 1 oil filter would be the next logical step when I run out of my current supply of Purolator filters.

There's a comment about those filters just a few posts above yours, did you not read it?

What makes them "great for the FJR" compared to any other filter on the shelf at WalMart? Why is it "the next logical step" when you run M1 synthetic oil?

There's a reason this thread in is this particular forum.

c063693fb3b1c9738c7bea7f60103d23.jpg

Does anyone have experience with Mobil 1 oil filters M1-108 or M1-110? I read on another website that these Mobile 1 oil filters are great for the FJR. The M1-110 is a little longer. I can get them at 25% discount at PepBoys.com using 25PEP promo code. Has anyone tried these oil filters? I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil, so the Mobil 1 oil filter would be the next logical step when I run out of my current supply of Purolator filters.
Don't let 'em get to you, must be crappy weather or something that makes them cranky. Yes, Mobil 1 108 & 110 are fine. Use them if you want to. The usual caveat applies- always open the box and make sure it's an innie. I've used at least a dozen M1 filters with no problems whatsoever.

Latest posts