Botched 06A Ignition Switch Recall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my recall notice last week but rode it anyway. I had to have my bike towed to the dealer this morning. The switch gave out at 45 mph two blocks before the ramp to the interstate during morning rush hour. There are several areas of interstate where it would be very dangerous to suddenly lose all power & have to pull over. So, I thank God it didn't fail at the wrong place/time. Getting the switch replaced ASAP is the way to go, IMHO.

Went in this morning and spoke directly to the owner. He was genuinely interested in making sure I was satisfied with the eventual outcome. Said he had an 07 AE on the floor and if need be he'd open it up to get the parts required to get mine back up and running. It's tough to watch the bike disassembled as they hunt for the problem. The entire fairing is coming off and the tech's disorganized rough style makes me cringe. I didn't sleep well last night. I think it may come down to the relay unit like ionbeam suggested. I'll be back there in the morning. It's tough to watch. I want the bike restored back to it's original virgin state. I may need to tear it down and reassemble it myself when I get it home just to make sure it's put back together right .....

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am in no rush after hearing all these horror story's. Let someone else be the first ginny pigs. Haven't herd of the 08's having issues so i may go another season before bringing my MC in.

Good luck all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Need some help here. The dealer tech decided to cut the pigtail on the original switch in order to make it easier to remove. Don't ask me how this would have helped, but he did it anyway. It was cut while the switch was still connected up to the main harness and the battery was still in the bike. The new switch was then installed. Now you can start the bike, but only in neutral, but as soon as you pull in the clutch and slip it into gear, the engine cuts out immediately. It won't crank when in gear even with the clutch lever pulled in. So I think there is something wrong with the interlock/safety start relays associated with the clutch lever, gear position sensor and side stand switch circuitry. There may even be a problem with the ECU, but I'm not sure without a good wiring diagram. It seems when he cut the pigtail with his side cutters, he back fed 12 volts through all the wires in the switch pigtail and toasted something.
After 5 hours in the waiting room at the dealer I talked my way in to the shop and found out what happened. They're tearing the bike apart and really don't even know what they're looking for. It's pretty brutal to watch. The bike is good and f'd up now. Sad to see it sitting there with an oil can wedged between the tank and the foam/foil engine heat insulator all smashed and folded up.

They were already on the phone with yamaha tech and they had nothing to offer. Any ideas on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Talked to three of our techs yesterday and all told me the same thing. Look at the switch on the clutch lever, it prevents you from starting the bike while it's in gear unless it's pulled in. It will be the first part to get fried if the wires are cut with juice running threw them. All three here are still wondering WHY you would cut it anyway but I guess some folks have their own way of doing things.

Talked to three of our techs yesterday and all told me the same thing. Look at the switch on the clutch lever, it prevents you from starting the bike while it's in gear unless it's pulled in. It will be the first part to get fried if the wires are cut with juice running threw them. All three here are still wondering WHY you would cut it anyway but I guess some folks have their own way of fucking things up.
Still a lotta head shakin goin on here too........... :blink:

I am in no rush after hearing all these horror story's. Let someone else be the first ginny pigs. Haven't herd of the 08's having issues so i may go another season before bringing my MC in.
Good luck all!
Didn't you read your recall letter? You CAN"T ride your bike utill the recall has been completed! :lol:

I heard from my friend with an '07 today that the Dealers are only getting 1 hour of labor time for the ignition switch recalls. It takes more than that, so this might partly explain some of the issues we are reading about with corner cutting.
[SIZE=8pt](this one is TOO easy)[/SIZE]

Looks like corners aren't the only thing they cut. :rofl:

Stopped at the dearler again this morning. No techs working on Wednesdays, so it sat all day. It's 62 degrees here...riding weather. I studied the wiring diagram. Looks to me like when he cut the pigtail, he sent 12 volts to the fuel, engine cut "relay" directly thru the relay diode and then thru the side stand switch directly to ground. So I think the diode is gone so the relay thinks the sidestand is down all the time. The clutch interlock switch is probably wired the same way with a diode so that one is probably gone also. The wiring diagram confirms that he also sent 12 volts directly into the ECU. So far the owner has been very supportive.

Stopped at the dearler again this morning. No techs working on Wednesdays, so it sat all day. It's 62 degrees here...riding weather. I studied the wiring diagram. Looks to me like when he cut the pigtail, he sent 12 volts to the fuel, engine cut "relay" directly thru the relay diode and then thru the side stand switch directly to ground. So I think the diode is gone so the relay thinks the sidestand is down all the time. The clutch interlock switch is probably wired the same way with a diode so that one is probably gone also. The wiring diagram confirms that he also sent 12 volts directly into the ECU. So far the owner has been very supportive.
Sounds like you are doing a lot (personally) to help things along. Good for you. I hope your payment is a dealer that continues to work diligently and relentlessly toward repairing your bike. Everybody makes mistakes. It's how they are handled that makes the difference.

I'm truly sorry for you, as the owner, having to go through such crap. BTDT, way too many times!

Fuel/Ign/Interlock relay was toast. Today Yamaha advised it can be replaced by simply reaching down into the fairing below the gauges where it is located behind the left headlight. Would have been nice if Yamaha told us that on Monday before the fairing was disassembled. Because of thier mistake the owner also will give me a written 2 year guarantee on the ECU should it fail. I'd rather just have a new one right now, but I've had enough. If you run across a tech who has an affinity to side cutters, insist he disconnect the battery before he starts your switch recall.

.......insist he disconnect the battery before he starts your switch recall.
I thought that was standard operating procedure when doing ANY electrical work!?!?!? :unknw:

Maybe they need to do some retraining in their shop. :unsure: At my company we get monthly reminders we must sign (mostly safety "encouragements"), a monthly meeting and sometimes information stapled to our paychecks.

Doh!

Fuel/Ign/Interlock relay was toast. Today Yamaha advised it can be replaced by simply reaching down into the fairing below the gauges where it is located behind the left headlight.
It appears my memory isn't quite as bad as I thought it was..... :yahoo:

Axeman,

Just reviewed your sons web site.

I ache at the thought of your loss.

I consider your son a Patriot of the highest order and value our nation all the more because the sacrifices of fine young men such as Jordan. Leaves me speechless.

Jim

.......insist he disconnect the battery before he starts your switch recall.
I thought that was standard operating procedure when doing ANY electrical work!?!?!? :unknw:

Maybe they need to do some retraining in their shop. :unsure: At my company we get monthly reminders we must sign (mostly safety "encouragements"), a monthly meeting and sometimes information stapled to our paychecks.

Doh!

It is "standard operating procedure" to disco the negative battery lead when doing electrical work, but in this case, it is not spelled out in the recall's instructions (I just read through them). My guess is that this is because it would have added time to every recall to remove the D panel and disconnect the battery. Also, so long as you are not cutting into the wiring, if you followed the instruction verbatim, you merely disconnect the switch via the two mating connectors and reconnect them, so no hazard exists.

It's only when the shop monkeys decide to "wing it" with the dikes that things go haywire.

Good luck all!
Didn't you read your recall letter? You CAN"T ride your bike utill the recall has been completed! :lol:
So let me get this straight!

1) I have the same switch that was with the bike when i bought it? (check)

2) I have almost 10,000 miles on the ODO? (check)

3) Yamaha has known about this problem since 2006. (check)

4) MaMa Yami is seriously concerned with my safety? (check)

GEE FNIN WHIZ HOW NICE OF THEM. IT ONLY TOOK THREE FNIN YEARS AND THEY WANT ME TO STOP FNIN RIDING MY BIKE F THEM. :angry2:

GEE FNIN WHIZ HOW NICE OF THEM. IT ONLY TOOK THREE FNIN YEARS AND THEY WANT ME TO STOP FNIN RIDING MY BIKE F THEM. :angry2:
Yamaha doesn't care if you ride the bike as long as they are no longer liable if the switch fails and causes something bad to happen. :eek:

Yamaha doesn't care if you ride the bike as long as they are no longer liable if the switch fails and causes something bad to happen. :eek:
Exactly. That verbiage is a CYA from Yamaha. Once they have mailed the letters out, they are (somewhat) off the hook if someone does have an accident found to be caused by one of the faulty ignition switches.