Brake Light & Turn Signal Combo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnyorlando

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
On a 2018 with all LEDs, I installed a Signal Dynamics Corp brake light flasher and a TriStar Turn Signal Conversion module to make the amber turn signal act additional tail lights and brake lights,and combined with a Dual-Load Equalizer to address fast flash. I've used this in several other bikes I've owned. However, in this FJR I cannot make the Dual-Load Equalizer slow the flashing as it's supposed to.
This: https://www.signaldynamics.com/tri-star-turn-signal-to-brake-light-conversion-module/
Has anyone solved this problem? Is it a compatibility issue? Is there another module that works?
I contacted SDC and they did not have a solution.
Thanks.

First off, using the amber as tail or brake is illegal. Amber is only legal for indicators. [EDIT: and clearance lights]

Secondly, the amber lights only have one filament, so they can't be both a tail light and a brake light; it's full bright if it's on.

Thirdly, and the part I don't care about because you shouldn't be doing this in the first place, is the "Dual-Load Equalizer" is probably built for the load of filament bulbs, not LED lamps, so it really doesn't understand what's going on. You said you've used it on other bikes, but I'm betting those weren't LED lights.

Seriously, if I came up behind a bike with all those lights on all the time, I'd stop next to the guy and tell him he's got an electrical fault and might be close to burning his bike down.

I concur with wfooshee's reply.  It's an FJR.  The taillights and turn signals are fine from the factory.  Ride the son-of-a-bitch.  Spend that money you save on a track day.  You're welcome.