Bridgestone T30 GT Tire Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been an excellent year for the T30s for me. I haven't had a lot of miles on the bike, but the ones I did, were twisty. So I had plenty of tread left to pass inspection, and should be able to finish out the year at Maggie Valley and start fresh next year. I agree, that with any significant slab time, I'd go with the durability of the Michelin PR 2, 3, or 4 on the rear, but the front T30 has been a hoot, and no problems this year on the rear. My chicken strips go within 1/4" of the tire edge, and wear is still even at 2800 miles.

In the name of science, I went out and took a couple pictures; my T30s @ 'bout 6,200 mi....

IMG_1998_zps4e375fa5.jpg

IMG_1995_zps69aad623.jpg

... but this AE I have now kinda "chirps" the rear on up or down shifts, (Maybe I'm do'in something wrong?) ...
Are you modulating the throttle when you change? You should momentarily dip the throttle as you change up, and blip it as you change down. It's only for a vey short period of time, and if you get it right, your changes will be virtually imperceptible. It can take a bit of learning.
Recon I should be try'in that, butt it's sooooo much fun keep'in on the gas 'n flick'in it up through the gears. If Yamaha were smart, they woulda marketed this thang as a speed shifter!
punk.gif

I'm telling you guys... mix your tires front and rear. Pick the best of both worlds and you'll be much happier.
Sounds like the T30 front tire is a winner, much as the BT023GT was. The rear T30 seems to vaporize too quickly.

Match that front T30 with a longer wearing dual compound rear, like a PR2, and you'll really enjoy the results.
I'm all fer mix'in tire brands, butt since I went through many sets of PRIIs, and got only got 5500 to 7500 outta 'em, the wear seems to be about the same fer me. If yer just slab'in the PRII might be better, butt these T30s are way better in the twisties, and cost less to boot.

Bump city..

Just turned over 7K mi. on current set, and the cords aren't even show'in yet!
punk.gif

Very pleased w/ these; mileage is slightly less than I got outta PRIIs, but these tires perform much bettah, 'n cost considerably less. They'z usually around $220 a set, (At American Motorcycle Tire.) butt after a rebate the last set only set me back $172!

Even though the "GT" spec tires cost the same, I usually just get the "regulars." The GTs seemed harsher for one up ride'in.

What I like 'bout these compared to other Bridgestones is that they still grip all the way to the end. When I ran 020s or 021s they lost grip as they wore, butt not the T30s.

I am at 9K on my T30s and should have another 3K left on them. I would take a picture to post but I no longer have a cell phone..... The T30s have been good so far and I would buy them again.

Clocklaw, the solution to your problem is to keep the front wheel lofted longer.

I have 4000 miles on the T-30 fronts for this year, and thanks to my svelte build of only 260 lbs, and habit of riding with the front wheel in the air, they still look like this.

26DD0299-4899-4438-AA82-01FC006103F1.jpg

I just wish I had roads that let me use that portion of my tire that I see you've worn out.

Getting ready for a new set of tires on my FJR. Loved my 023's and have been thinking of trying a set of the T30's. Read this thread and decided to bump it and see what the latest thoughts were on them from those of you that have been running them. Last post was Sept. of 2015, so I figure there have been some miles put on them by some of the riders at least in the southern part of the US.

GP

On my second set and nothing but good things to say ... Good wear, great traction. Fronts could possibly last 2-1 compared to rear ... My fronts still look almost new ... Rear has 5k on it and maybe 2 or 3k more left ... Im a bit of a porker so If I were lighter I could see getting 9k out of a set perhaps ...

So far though they are outlasting my last set of PR3's at a much better price point ... I'm not a great rider compared to some of the guys on here but these seem to handle at least as good as my last set of Michelin's.

Im running the GT spec and will definitely continue to use these ...

These are my T30's at 9,000 miles. These are the non GT version... (Sorry about the dust from the garage)

1484AL.jpg
xld17R.jpg

The 9,000 miles is mostly a bunch of 50 mile commutes over mostly wet Seattle roads with maybe a 15/85 split of streets/highway.

Last edited by a moderator:
MrZappo posted: On my second set and nothing but good things to say ... Good wear, great traction. Fronts could possibly last 2-1 compared to rear ... My fronts still look almost new ... Rear has 5k on it and maybe 2 or 3k more left ... Im a bit of a porker so If I were lighter I could see getting 9k out of a set perhaps ...
So far though they are outlasting my last set of PR3's at a much better price point ... I'm not a great rider compared to some of the guys on here but these seem to handle at least as good as my last set of Michelin's.

MrZappo, were these on your bike at Hooterville?

MrZappo posted: On my second set and nothing but good things to say ... Good wear, great traction. Fronts could possibly last 2-1 compared to rear ... My fronts still look almost new ... Rear has 5k on it and maybe 2 or 3k more left ... Im a bit of a porker so If I were lighter I could see getting 9k out of a set perhaps ...

MrZappo, were these on your bike at Hooterville?
Yes, I had been up to Canada with them and put about 4000 miles on them before heading down to Hooterville ... I was worried about them wearing when I was riding hot and heavy with all of the hooligans, but, they lasted fine and when I got home I realized that they still had at least a couple thousand miles left ...

They are still on my bike and Ill ride the spring with them ... Ill change them out before heading to the Canada trip this year ...

They are lasting well longer than my last set of PR3's at about half the price (got a deal on them) ...

Either way, they grip fine and wear well ... Best price I have seen has been at Jakewilson.com. Got a fresh set sitting in the garage waiting ...

I think they are a good value ...

I like my T30 GTs, now they haven't been tested on Wentworth Springs like my last set of 023GTs that I loved, but they did great on Berryessa - I think I like them just as much.

As for mileage - I never got more than 5-6K out of my 023GTs, don't think I am going to get any more on the T30 GTs.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my second set of T-30 GTs, with a set of Pirelli Angel GTs in between. Completely satisfied with the T-30s. Got 7500 miles out of the first set when I picked up a nail in the rear, and just decided to change out both. I think that set could have gone another thousand or so. At 7500 miles, though, they did not display the heavy steering in the tight twisties that the OEM set had, which was due to excessive cupping at only about 5000 miles. I usually run 39/42 psi in the T-30s. I've ridden them in all kinds of conditions, temps, and roads with no complaints.

Looking forward to spooning on the T30 EVO's. Anyone got seat time with a set of T30 EVO tires yet?

Update on my T30GTs. Just put on my second set of them. First set lasted 15K which is the main reason I stuck with them. Minimal cupping at the end of life on the set. I will say while scrubbing in the new set yesterday they were slick enough on practicing emergency braking to activate the ABS. By the end of the scrub in I could pull the front wheel up without traction loss.