Broken Glove Box Latch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harveyfjr

Reaction score
I knew it would happen sooner or later. I never liked the latch mechanism, it looks cheap. My bike is 16 months old, 05 model, factory warranty is over and my dealer says the extended warranty does not cover the latch. Does anyone have any experience in fixing this. I fit is not too hard I will fix it myself.

I just turned 19,000 miles and I love the bike anyways.

Thanks for the help.

It's controlled by a solenoid just below the thumb button. You can simply unplug it, but then it will not lock. The latch is a nylon piece and rather delicate at that. The spring may have become dislodged, the nylon broke, the solenoid died or the plug became disconnected. I doubt it would be a fuse as other systems would be out. Start first checking the plug. If the plug is good, then put your ear to the box, and toggle the ignition off and on while in neutral to see if you can hear the solenoid. If you hear something then that is prolly a good solenoid and your problem will lie with the latch itself. You'll have to pull the box out to get to it - go to FJRtech.com, I think WC has the removal sequence shown...

If you have busted parts lemme know. I pulled my solenoid out and have an extra latch, too. A new box, sans the solenoid is about $60. I don't know how much the solenoid costs...

Thanks for the info. The solinoid does work so I guess the latch is broken. I am still trying to get my dealer to fix it under the extended warranty, if not I would like to buy the latch from you.

Harvey! Good to see you made the jump!

You will find this forum MUCH better.

We have to get together one of these days!

-BD

I think you should push to get it fixed under warranty. Here's the deal...Yamaha recently released a service bulletin (or some other form of communication, no need to get hung up on the details), emphasizing that the FJR tranny MUST be in the neutral position, with the key on to operate the fairing pocket. Given that this is a recent bulletin, one could argue that the Owner's Manual was not detailed enough with regard to the operation of the fairing pocket, and that the design leaves a bit to be desired in terms of durability.

Yamaha is finding that the little white plastic pieces integral to the pocket itself are what's breaking...at least that's what I've heard. To replace the broken pieces, one must replace the entire pocket/lid assembly.

Talk to the dealer to get it fixed under warranty, and Good luck!

I am in the exact boat as you. I can hear the solenoid working but the latch is toast. 2005 new in March, going to the dealer tomorrow and have a bad feeling they are going to give me grief over replacing it under warranty. I hate to say it but for $60 i may just buy a new box so I can ride this weekend and next week.

I need my bike to attend an ERC RiderCoach update and cannot stomach the thought of leaving it in the shop for a week while waiting on parts. Oh well, I will post up tomorrow afternoon regarding warranty coverage.

Call me crazy, but, I wouldn't leave my bike in a shop waiting on parts for a faulty glove box. Tape 'er shut and tell them to call when the parts are in. Why wouldn't it be replaced under warranty? What is their reasoning for saying it isn't covered?

This topic reminds me why I'm so glad one of the first things I did to my new FJR was to pitch the whole solenoid assemby. Ya , my glove box can't be locked but big deal, at least it always opens and closes when I want it too. And its a few ounces lighter too. :lol:

This topic reminds me why I'm so glad one of the first things I did to my new FJR was to pitch the whole solenoid assemby.  Ya , my glove box can't be locked but big deal, at least it always opens and closes when I want it too.  And its a few ounces lighter too. :lol:
Why would pitching the solenoid stop the latch from breaking? The latch is still being used to keep it closed, isn't it????

I think what HarveyFJR is trying to say is that it is not the solinoid. It is the mechanical interaction between the button and the latch that is broken. He can't open it with it in neutral..... The soilnoid is working but the release is broken.

I would press for the warrentee replacement. And no....you don't need to leave your bike. Tell them to get the parts in and you will come back with the bike! I hate that. They think you will skip on the repair if you don't leave the bike? WTF? Idiots all of them... Except of course our favorites who do have the reputation of being GOOD dealers. Gary McCoy for one.

I mounted a remote PB switch to release the glovebox anytime. There is still a bit of security and I am not bothered by needing to use my key and have the frigg'n bike in neutral to open it! Press the hidden switch and press the release...open.

Good luck and keep us posted Harvey.

Thanks for all your help with this problem. I have it taped shut for now. I'm waiting for my dealer to get back to me on repair procedure. Will let you know the outcome.

Mine's busted as well. I can hear the solenoid working, but it doesn't latch. I'm running the tape mod as well, since I'm out of warranty :-(

I have to confess that it's probably my own fault. When I first got the bike I didn't realize it had to be in nuetral to release the latch. So, I simply pushed a little harder and tugged on the door......then I figured out why it was so difficult.

Am I the only one to make that mistake. Or, are you guys just not confessing? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the solenoid affect the latch when closing? I've noticed on my '04 when I'm closing the lid that the latch works much smoother when the solenoid is energized.

Maybe we are forcing the latching mechansim when we close the lid with the solenoid off (key off or not in neutral).

I mounted a remote PB switch to release the glovebox anytime.  There is still a bit of security and I am not bothered by needing to use my key and have the frigg'n bike in neutral to open it!  Press the hidden switch and press the release...open.
What a fantastic idea! Can't be that hard to do. Sounds like another winter project for me.

For HarveyFJR, I would unquestionably push the issue. A latch is not a "wear item"...brake pads are. I've worked for car and bike dealers and have played the warranty game from both sides many times. Yamaha's website states under Y.E.S. Benefits:

"There's complete coverage on mechanical defects* — you don't have to pay anything.

*Excluding those repairs due to normal wear and tear or aging."

If your dealer balks again, call Yamaha.

My $.02,

I had no idea there was a selenoid and that the key had to be on. LOL I broke mine the day I got it. :lol:
I know we are suppose to read the manual, but a little sticker on the box that says "ignition must be on and transmission in nuetral to open" would sure have saved some unnecessary repairs!

I had no idea there was a selenoid and that the key had to be on.  LOL  I broke mine the day I got it.  :lol:
I know we are suppose to read the manual, but a little sticker on the box that says "ignition must be on and transmission in nuetral to open" would sure have saved some unnecessary repairs!
fuck readin. I went riding. :)

I didn't have a sticker on mine. I bought it used with 2000miles

Hi Harvey,

Good to hear from you !

Was nice to see you last summer in Montreal :p

Rick

I had no idea there was a selenoid and that the key had to be on.  LOL  I broke mine the day I got it.   :lol:
fuck readin. I went riding. :)

I didn't have a sticker on mine. I bought it used with 2000miles
there wasn't a sticker when new... At least not on my bike.

I was suggesting one might have been a good idea!