Butt-kickin' Chili Recipes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Willy

It's bad, you know
Reaction score
There are few things in life better than a great chili recipe. A 20+ year old single malt Scotch sampled with good friends maybe, or a great sunset experienced from astride the Feejer atop some lone peak in the hinterlands. But there aren't many. Here's a recipe I tried recently at a cookoff and it won hands down. Easy to make and great to eat. Give it a try. Just follow the details religiously and you'll definitely come up a winner.

Dog Breath Chili.

Anyone got their personal favorites and willing to share here?

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
PROUDLY STOLEN FROM Lone Rider of VTXCafe.com

“Firehouse chili”. This is not for the faint of heart.

2 bags of beans, (hydrate overnight, I usually put a habanero in the pot with the beans then warm to just shy of boiling, remove heat, and cover. Be sure to have the beans covered by at least 2-3 inches of water.)

2 lbs of ground meat (beef/veil/pork makes a great mix, just beef works, venison adds a sweetness, what ever your preference will work fine)

1-2 large onion, diced (Vidalia)

3-4 habanero peppers, finely diced (remove seeds (wear gloves, trust me!))

(For those who don't know, the "heat" is in the seeds of the pepper. leave the seeds if you dare!!!)

2 scotch bonnet peppers, finely diced (remove seeds (ditto))

2 cayenne peppers, finely diced (remove seeds (ditto))

2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced (leave the seeds!! (ditto))

6-7 bell peppers, chopped

4-5 cloves of garlic,chopped

1 tsp salt

1 tbsp black pepper

4 small cans of tomato paste

¾ cup of brown sugar

2 cups of water (or one jar of tomato sauce)

I use a large pot, lubed with (real) butter. Caramelize the onion then add the meat, brown, do not drain!! Reduce the heat to low, really low! Add the peppers, garlic, salt, black pepper, tomato paste, sugar, beans, and water or sauce.

Depending on the size of your pot, you may need more water. Cook, covered on low for 4-5 hours stirring to keep from sticking. Add water as needed for your desired thickness. The chili will thicken as it cooks.

Great with corn bread, or a French baguette.

Hint: Milk kills the heat! Water fuels the fire… beer is beer!

Enjoy, if you dare!!

I don't have a recipe to share, as I don't use them, but if you want a new twist on your chile add some Chocolate. I see this recipe has

brown sugar in it for a sweet component. Put just enough in so you see a color change. It's kind of like the Chicken mole thing, sweet and hot. Give it a try, I won't make chile with out it any more.

Honestly, I don't "make" chili anymore. After I discovered Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Chili in a local grocery store, I've never looked back.

10000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
• 2 lbs beef – cubed

• 1 lb pork – cubed

• 1 lb bison – ground

• 1 lb pork chorizo

• 1 7oz can of whole Chipotles

• 4 small-medium tomatillos

• 13 cloves of garlic

• 3 large yellow onions

• 1 box of fresh mushrooms

• 7 tomatoes

• 2 fresh large Anaheim chilies - seeded

• 1 fresh yellow bell pepper – seeded

• 1 fresh jalapeno pepper - seeded

• 1 cup Ponte Tempranillo red wine

• 1 bottle Mexican beer

• 2 teaspoon cumin

• 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano

• 1 teaspoon basil

• 2 teaspoon smoked paprika

• 1 tablespoon Carne Asada seasoning

• 3 shakes of a bottle of Tapatio hot sauce

Braze cubed pork & beef in hot oil, sprinkle liberally with black pepper.

Cook chorizo is separate fry pan, wick fat out with paper-towel.

In a large stew pot, combine cubed port & beef with the chorizo. Put over low heat for now. Add the 1 lb of bison and stir in.

Deglaze the pan that you brazed the meat in with the Ponte red wine, scrapping the bottom and sides to loosen tasty bits. Simmer for a few minutes and pour into larger pot with meat. Turn up heat to med-low on the stew pot.

With a food processor chop up vegetables, add to meat, and stir in.

Open can of chipotles and remove one (or more if you want) chili to chop up, drain some of the juice from can into the stew pot, and add chopped up chipotle pepper to pot.

In a 6-cup plastic measuring container, pour in Mexican beer and add remaining seasonings. Microwave the beer and seasonings until hot and pour into stew port with meat and vegetables. Stir to mix well. Cook for 8 hours in a large crock-pot. Season to taste.

:nuke: :nuke: :nuke: