Can any of you computer guys help me??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR1300Jeff

Reaction score
First off I'm not that computer technical has you can tell. i have windows 2000 professional version. I usually use windows media for playing videos.

I downloaded Nero 7 for a new DVD burner I installed and downloaded Bearshare and downloaded a video.

I'm not sure which one caused the problem but now any video I had on my computer immediatly shows this Explorer.exe error.

I've run spyware,virus checker, register cleaner...rebooted a dozen times and sme error.

I even uninstalled Nero 7, and bearshare...No help same error.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

First check your event logs. That's like pulling a spark plug to see how the engine is running.

1. Right click My Computer --> Left click (LC) Manage.

2. Under Computer Management,--> System Tools, LC on Event Viewer

3. LC on Application, take a look for Red X's.

Sometimes the event logs will provide useful info as to what is causing the fault. Most times not, but it's uselful info and the first place to start.

Report back your findings.

BearShare is known to cause problems, have you completely uninstalled it?

Also, are you getting a message with the explorer.exe error? If so, enter the entire message into a Google search, and you'll likely find others with the same problem and solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried using your System Restore to grab a snapshot of a day before your install?

Thanks for the suggestions....There are a couple of red X's in the application...it says,

source "Perfnet"

Unable to open the redirector service. Redirector performance data will not be returned. Error code returned in data DWORD O.

No idea what this means.....any orther suggestions???

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions....There are a couple of red X's in the application...it says, source "Perfnet"

Unable to open the redirector service. Redirector performance data will not be returned. Error code returned in data DWORD O.

Thanks
You may have a virus.

You might have to reload your pc.

Thanks for the suggestions....There are a couple of red X's in the application...it says, source "Perfnet"

Thanks
You may have a virus.

You might have to reload your pc.
I'm Thinking I may have a virus also....but is there no other way to get rid of a virus other that reload the PC?

I will try to find the links to the programs I use to debug customers pc's if I can find them it should work. like someone said google you error code and it will give you help.

I sure hope you are running an anti-virus program in the background. To be quite frank if you aren't, you deserve what you get.

Another layer of defense is to go to download.com, and lookup these three - and free - programs:

Adaware

Spybot

SpywareBlaster

I use PC-cillin as my A/V program - $50 from bestbuy.com (computers>software>software downloads) along with the three mentioned above and I rarely get even so much as an adware cookie...

Norton and MacAfee are way too bloated and intrusive - and expensive.

Good luck...

nuke and repave the system (format and reinstall). restore your data from your weekly backups. reinstall your critical applications for your original disks. avoid the urge to download and install things simply because they "bling".

Well thanks guys....I do have mcafee virus protection...it comes free with my comcast cable connection....

All the scans come up negative..so I'm thinking its not a virus....its just doing something weird.

I also ran both of these https://www.spybot.info/

https://free.grisoft.com/

also negative.......what it does if I even click on any video (LC) or (RC) it immediatly says explorer.exe error and closes the program.

Any other suggestions???

Thanks

Just food for thought. . .When you do get back up and running you may want to purchase another hard drive (internal or external) to use strictly for data storage. This will give you a configuration where the operating system and all of the other program files are stored on the original hard disk that came with your computer. The second (new ) drive can be used to save all your pics, music, financial data, etc., etc. This way, if you do get a virus that results in the need to reformat your original hard drive, all of your data will remain intact on the other one, just waiting to be accesed by the newly/(re)installed programs/operating system. . .DAMHIK.

My two cents:

This does not sound virus related to me. The event log entry makes reference to "DWORD" which is in the Windows Registry. I suspect a partially failed installation of software to be the culprit. I would start w/ Windows Media Player. Perhaps the installation of the DVD software stepped on something that Media Player needs. I'd go into the control panel and do the following:

Open "Add/Remove Programs"

On the left side of the dialog box that appears, select "Add/ Remove Windows Components"

Scroll down to the box next to "Windows Media Player" and un-check it.

Complete the removal of WMP by clicking Next...Next...Bla bla bla...Finish.

Restart the machine TWICE. (Yes, twice...in case any parts of it are still in use after the first restart it might let go of them after the second).

Run a good registry cleaning tool (if you have one). I HAD one and now I can't recall the name of it. I'll edit later if I find it.

Now reinstall Windows Media Player then go out to www.windowsupdate.com and get the most current version of WMP as well as any patches, updates, etc.

EDIT: The registry cleaner that I like is called RegscrubXP. (Despite the name having "XP" in it, it still works quite well on Win2K.) You may need to run it a few times to get rid of all of your registry problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried applying all windows updates including service packs? I would start by installing Win2K SP4 which would replace any unrecognized versions of any operating system files that may have been modified by any installed applications.

explorer.exe happens to be the windows file manager and part of the base OS.

Thanks guys for all of the feedback....Turns out I just needed to uninstall widows media and reinstall it.....all is well!!!!!