Can anyone help no power on FJR NOT IGNITION SWITCH

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeman750

Reaction score
I bought a used FJR about last september and it has been my dream bike until today. I went on a 50 mile ride and pulled over at the 7-11 to get a bottle of water. When I came out and went to start the bike, it initialized the fuel pump and gauges and then I hit the starter button. It turned over once and then my dash died, and nothing. If I turned the key to on, nothing but turning it to off the tach and speedo would initialize. Called AAA. Flatbed back home. I was thinking the ignition switch, but no. I cut the wires to it and tried to hot wire. shorting the big to the big and the small to the small does nothing. (darn). I checked the main fuse, the fuse box on the left side, and the ones under the seat... (jesus how many fuses!). The only thing at this point I know is that when I connect the 2 large gage wires together and the 2 small ones together my battery voltage drops to near 0. Sounds like a short to me, but no blown fuses? WTF???? Anyone have this or shed any light? Im so mad and frustrated. I have 3 bikes but this is the one I love the most. Oh yeah its a gen 1 2003 model.

if your battery is bad, it may put out enough juice to turn the dash on, but not kick the starter over. Your battery may have blown.

If you try to jump the bike from another bike, will it start?

I bought a used FJR about last september and it has been my dream bike until today. I went on a 50 mile ride and pulled over at the 7-11 to get a bottle of water. When I came out and went to start the bike, it initialized the fuel pump and gauges and then I hit the starter button. It turned over once and then my dash died, and nothing. If I turned the key to on, nothing but turning it to off the tach and speedo would initialize. Called AAA. Flatbed back home. I was thinking the ignition switch, but no. I cut the wires to it and tried to hot wire. shorting the big to the big and the small to the small does nothing. (darn). I checked the main fuse, the fuse box on the left side, and the ones under the seat... (jesus how many fuses!). The only thing at this point I know is that when I connect the 2 large gage wires together and the 2 small ones together my battery voltage drops to near 0. Sounds like a short to me, but no blown fuses? WTF???? Anyone have this or shed any light? Im so mad and frustrated. I have 3 bikes but this is the one I love the most. Oh yeah its a gen 1 2003 model.

it initialized the fuel pump and gauges and then I hit the starter button. It turned over once and then my dash died, and nothing.

Have you checked ALL the fuses??? You mentioned the main fuse and the ones under the panel to the left. There are two more under the panel to the right (between the gas tank and battery) You also mention fuses under the seat???? I have none of those. Only relays. Is there an aftermarket fuse block??

Bad Starter???

Bad Battery??

Fried ECU????

I still have money on a fuse............that's what they're for. Take another look and get back to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Battery. Can you push-start it? (That would kinda suck if you could, but had it towed anyway. . . .)

Come to think of it, if the battery shorted a cell or something bad enough, the bike probably won't push-start either, and the shorted battery would play hell with your stator.

Dudeman - If you don't know the history of the battery, I'd start right there. I have a 2003; the battery lasted 6 years. Needed replacement last year.

I had a 1990 Ford Pickup truck that started every time without hesitation. I pulled into a 7-11, and when I came back, the door dinger would work, barely, but lights and starter were dead. No warning, no indications of any problems before hand. I checked battery conditions, etc, and everything was perfect. Replaced the battery and all was good again. I was told the battery likely experienced an arc in the plates whatever the hell that means. I'm guessing something similar is happening with your battery.

I had a 1990 Ford Pickup truck that started every time without hesitation. I pulled into a 7-11, and when I came back, the door dinger would work, barely, but lights and starter were dead. No warning, no indications of any problems before hand. I checked battery conditions, etc, and everything was perfect. Replaced the battery and all was good again. I was told the battery likely experienced an arc in the plates whatever the hell that means. I'm guessing something similar is happening with your battery.
I appreciate all the input so far, but, The battery is a month old. Connections are tight. It reads 12.2v with my VOM. I checked the 50 amp, the 2 15s near there, the whole bunch of little ones on the left panel, and the ones under the seat. I will go out there now and throw my charger on it to see if that makes a diff but I doubt it. I'm afraid a wire went to ground somewhere that somehow is not fused? I dont get it, but when I short the ignition wires together my battery voltage drops to near 0. I will look carefully at that battery. But again, is brand new.

Guess what? I just hooked up the 6amp charger to it, hotwired, and the dash came up. NO FUEL PUMP NOISE

I think the fuel pump or wiring is bad its dragging down the voltage so much. I get ERR-1 on the LCD after a min. Yellow light is on and the 12v line is getting dragged way down. Im heading back out there now.

I get ERR-1 on the LCD after a min.
???

I don't find an ERR-1 code on the diagnostics' list. According to my FSM, the codes begin with 11 - Cylinder Identification Sensor.

Anyone else?
lemme double check that. Still I got it way apart and no power to fuel pump. also, so strange, the charger is hooked up and afaik is manual only deal. The voltage is pinging up and down in a strage way. I have a digital monitor on it and it goes up and down constantly. I can get the dash to come up, and then no fuel pump, and after 30 secs, the yellow light comes up and I get that error. I assume the error is no fuel pressure. (or something not initialized) God im in the dark on this one, I thought I was good at troubleshooting. Im a technician for 17 years now. Love the bike, but hating the engineers that made it right now. Im scratching my head at some of the wierd ass design.

???

I don't find an ERR-1 code on the diagnostics' list. According to my FSM, the codes begin with 11 - Cylinder Identification Sensor.

Anyone else?
lemme double check that. Still I got it way apart and no power to fuel pump. also, so strange, the charger is hooked up and afaik is manual only deal. The voltage is pinging up and down in a strage way. I have a digital monitor on it and it goes up and down constantly. I can get the dash to come up, and then no fuel pump, and after 30 secs, the yellow light comes up and I get that error. I assume the error is no fuel pressure. (or something not initialized) God im in the dark on this one, I thought I was good at troubleshooting. Im a technician for 17 years now. Love the bike, but hating the engineers that made it right now. Im scratching my head at some of the wierd ass design.
Here's the procedure to enter the "Diagnostics Mode":

To enter Diagnostic Mode: Have the key turned off (kill switch on) and press the Select and Reset together. Turn the key to on and hold the buttons for about 8 seconds. A screen will apear that reads "d1 AG". release the buttons.

Press Select and Reset again for 2 seconds. "d:01" should appear on the clock if you did everything right. You are now in the DIAG mode.

Press "SELECT" for the next code, Press "RESET" for the previous code.

Codes go from d:01 to d:70 -- go buy a manual for the codes.

Once you've entered the Diag Mode, press the "SELECT" button advance to #61. This will indicate how many codes have been stored in the ECU, and will also cycle through what codes have been stored. For example, when you first get to #61, it may display "1", then the "1" will change to "19". This would mean the ECU has stored ONE fault code, and that fault code, #19, is the sidestand switch.

I have all the manuals on PDF. Thanks for following this thread. This is wierd. My next thing im going to try is to energize the fuel pump. I assume it would pass through a relay somewhere, but the wires are kinda tiny. The manuals suck.

I have all the manuals on PDF. Thanks for following this thread. This is wierd. My next thing im going to try is to energize the fuel pump. I assume it would pass through a relay somewhere, but the wires are kinda tiny. The manuals suck.
Dudeman,

Once in the DIAG mode, cycle over to DIAG #9...it checks battery/fuel system voltage and does so by running the fuel pump.

Get into the DIAG mode, thumb your killswitch OFF, cycle to #9 and thumb your killswitch ON. You should hear the pump run.

???

Anyone else?

Just passing by and noticed the Er-1 discussed, but have not read all the above. There is an ER-1 Fault code described as "No signals are received from the ECU" at the very end of the Fault Code list.

Check:

1. Connections: Meter assembly coupler, wire harness ECU coupler, front cowling wire harness coupler = check all.

2. Open or short circuit in wire harness and/or front cowling wire harness - maybe between meter assembly coupler and ECU coupler = yellow/blue-yellow blue wires are mentioned.

3. Malfunction in meter assembly = replace it.

4. Malfunction in ECU = replace it.

All I know for now. ALso check the common ground plug thread DCarver refers to above.

Gary in Fairbanks