Can anyone help no power on FJR NOT IGNITION SWITCH

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get ERR-1 on the LCD after a min.
???

I don't find an ERR-1 code on the diagnostics' list. According to my FSM, the codes begin with 11 - Cylinder Identification Sensor.

Anyone else?

Just passing by and noticed the Er-1 discussed, but have not read all the above. There is an ER-1 Fault code described as "No signals are received from the ECU" at the very end of the Fault Code list.

Check:

1. Connections: Meter assembly coupler, wire harness ECU coupler, front cowling wire harness coupler = check all.

2. Open or short circuit in wire harness and/or front cowling wire harness - maybe between meter assembly coupler and ECU coupler = yellow/blue-yellow blue wires are mentioned.

3. Malfunction in meter assembly = replace it.

4. Malfunction in ECU = replace it.

All I know for now.

Gary in Fairbanks
Yep Gary, yer keereckt:

ER-1....Symptom Clock LCD displays “Er-1”. (No signals are received from the ECU.)

Probable malfunction area

• Open or short circuit in communication line

• Malfunction in meter

• Malfunction in ECU

Inspection method 1

Inspection by diagnosis mode

Inspection method 2

Inspection of a malfunction that cannot be identified in the

diagnosis mode, and in case the area of the malfunction has

been narrowed down in the inspection method 1 given on the

left.

• Inspect ECU coupler

Inspect the wiring harness and couplers for continuity.

Defective: repair or replace

• Inspect meter coupler

Inspect the wiring harness and couplers for continuity.

Defective: repair or replace

Time to start searching for undomesticated waterfowl.

Now Im getting F-12 error and when I hit the starter the fuel pump runs. ? WTH?????
Need more info.

You need to start with the basics and work from there. While I don't think it's your battery, I am not convinced it's not. Your reported 12.2V is low for a battery. It should be 12.8V fully charged at rest.

Based on the previous error, sounds like it could be a bad ECM, or wiring between ECM and somewhere else. Or something else altogether.

Now Im getting F-12 error and when I hit the starter the fuel pump runs. ? WTH?????
F-12 = no normal signals are received from the crankshaft position sensor. The sensor is supplied with power directly from the ECU, and returns pulse signals directly to it. If it were me I'd remove the panels covering the air intake to get to the ECU to wire harness plug, then remove, inspect, clean, whatever, and reinstall the ECU plug. Also check the sensor to harness plug and the sensor resistance (420-570 ohms). Reset the error codes as described and retest. The ECU requires a proper ground, and any of the point connector common ground problems some have experienced may also be a source. On my '08, there's a common point connector lying just above the ECU plug under the left side of the front seat. That "may" be a common point for the ECU's return wiring from several sensors. Clean and inspect.

You might also try disconnecting the battery with the hopes that the ECU will reset itself to it's base. I'm not sure if it will do that, however. The ECU may have been compromised with all the electrical shenanigans.

I've not followed your thread, but you really need have a copy of the SM available, and start going through the wiring from the ECU outward checking for corrosion and possibly poor connections. You're going to chase your tail and get really frustrated unless you have a plan of attack. Go slow and work on one glitch or trouble code at a time.

Gary in Fairbanks

Last edited by a moderator:
F-12 = no normal signals are received from the crankshaft position sensor. The sensor is supplied with power directly from the ECU, and returns pulse signals directly to it. If it were me I'd remove the panels covering the air intake to get to the ECU to wire harness plug, then remove, inspect, clean, whatever, and reinstall the ECU plug. Also check the sensor to harness plug and the sensor resistance (420-570 ohms). Reset the error codes as described and retest. The ECU requires a proper ground, and any of the point connector common ground problems some have experienced may also be a source. On my '08, there's a common point connector lying just above the ECU plug under the left side of the front seat. That "may" be a common point for the ECU's return wiring from several sensors. Clean and inspect.

I've not followed your thread, but you really need have a copy of the SM available, and start going through the wiring from the ECU outward checking for corrosion and possibly poor connections. You're going to chase your tail and get really frustrated unless you have a plan of attack. Go slow and work on one glitch or trouble code at a time.

Gary in Fairbanks
Yes, I have all the manuals. Im learning how to navigate them slowly. Im trying to find the stupid connector they refer to to disconnect the crankshaft position sensor. I found the f-12 code after posting,,, sorry. Also Im confused on how to clear the code with the procedure. Simply navigate to that parameter 67 or whatever and toggle the power?

BTW you all may be right. Im thinking this battery might be toast. It was brand new and only in the bike for maybe 5 or 6 rides! WTH???? I have a large battery hooked to the leads from my goldwing, and the fuel pump runs and everything, only now the f-12 .. Im wondering if I just need to clear it.

Yes, I have all the manuals. Im learning how to navigate them slowly. Im trying to find the stupid connector they refer to to disconnect the crankshaft position sensor. I found the f-12 code after posting,,, sorry. Also Im confused on how to clear the code with the procedure. Simply navigate to that parameter 67 or whatever and toggle the power?
BTW you all may be right. Im thinking this battery might be toast. It was brand new and only in the bike for maybe 5 or 6 rides! WTH???? I have a large battery hooked to the leads from my goldwing, and the fuel pump runs and everything, only now the f-12 .. Im wondering if I just need to clear it.
Good to hear your still patient - it'l get fixed soon. Get into the Diagnostic mode via the SM instructions (gotta' learn sometime) and look up Diagnostic code d:62. Follow the instructions for erasing the error code history via engine stop switch off to on.

The crankshaft position sensor is inside the small cover just forward of the clutch cover on the right side of the engine. The wires coming from it are shown in the front of the SM in a couple of cable routing diagrams. Look there. On my '08 the plug from the ECU has a Grey and Black with Blue stripe/spot wire. Check your wiring diagram for the correct color codes. You have to separate the plug and test the resistance of the one going to the sensor if you wish to confirm it. Likely it's ok, and maybe either the connecting plug or main ECU plug just needs cleaning and reseating. Also check that common point plug nearby the ECU I mentioned earlier.

As far as the battery, remove it and charge it at 15VDC for at least an hour per the SM section on initial battery charging. Mine was a year old, and failed to maintain 12.8VDC until I did. It fell to 12.2 overnight despite a previous charging 24 hrs at 13.8VDC.

Gott'a go now and fly out to the woods for spring camping while my lake ice is still ok - won't melt for several weeks and can land anywhere - good luck.

Gary in Fairbanks

Last edited by a moderator:
For what its worth, I just had to replace a bad battery. Symptoms were like this:

- Good dash and external lights while on the charger

- Fuel pump would pressure up

- Starter would only click, a really fast clicking sound

- Starter clicking would happen for a bit, then the fuel pump wouldn't get enough juice to pressure up.-

- Off the charger, I would only get dash lights and occasional fuel pump

- I also got an error code 12 through the process

battery was pretty much toast because I had something left on that pulled it down. All symptoms went away as soon as the new Westco got plugged in.

Good to hear your still patient - it'l get fixed soon. Get into the Diagnostic mode via the SM instructions (gotta' learn sometime) and look up Diagnostic code d:62. Follow the instructions for erasing the error code history via engine stop switch off to on.

The crankshaft position sensor is inside the small cover just forward of the clutch cover on the right side of the engine. The wires coming from it are shown in the front of the SM in a couple of cable routing diagrams. Look there. On my '08 the plug from the ECU has a Grey and Black with Blue stripe/spot wire. Check your wiring diagram for the correct color codes. You have to separate the plug and test the resistance of the one going to the sensor if you wish to confirm it. Likely it's ok, and maybe either the connecting plug or main ECU plug just needs cleaning and reseating. Also check that common point plug nearby the ECU I mentioned earlier.

As far as the battery, remove it and charge it at 15VDC for at least an hour per the SM section on initial battery charging. Mine was a year old, and failed to maintain 12.8VDC until I did. It fell to 12.2 overnight despite a previous charging 24 hrs at 13.8VDC.

Gott'a go now and fly out to the woods for spring camping while my lake ice is still ok - won't melt for several weeks and can land anywhere - good luck.

Gary in Fairbanks

Man the only point I can see to disconnect is directly under the airbox and I cant get to it. clearing it did not work

Man the only point I can see to disconnect is directly under the airbox and I cant get to it. clearing it did not work
You have to remove the left side panel and the airbox intake cover. It's right there.

Yes, I see the ECU connector there in plain view. I was able to measure the resistance at the main connector on the black/blue grey wires at 520 ohms, which is right in spec. So now Im screwed I guess. Wonder if the 06 ecu will work in my 03. I saw one on ebay.

as far as the crankshaft position sensor goes I see only one junction and it appears to be right in front/under the airbox and behind the throttle bodies. Impossible to get to AFAIK I suspect I blew my ECU? when I hit the starter the fuel pump runs. Clearing the code does not seem to do anything.

You have to remove the left side panel and the airbox intake cover. It's right there.

Yes, I see the ECU connector there in plain view. I was able to measure the resistance at the main connector on the black/blue grey wires at 520 ohms, which is right in spec. So now Im screwed I guess. Wonder if the 06 ecu will work in my 03. I saw one on ebay.

as far as the crankshaft position sensor goes I see only one junction and it appears to be right in front/under the airbox and behind the throttle bodies. Impossible to get to AFAIK I suspect I blew my ECU? when I hit the starter the fuel pump runs. Clearing the code does not seem to do anything.
Well guys, I have restored power now everything is booting up and stuff but the F-12 still wont go away. I get 520 ohms on that sensor just what its supposed to be. I dont understand how the ECU would know there is a problem with it if it sees the right resistance. The engine is not turning so.... guess I will poke around in there some more.

Well guys, I have restored power now everything is booting up and stuff but the F-12 still wont go away. I get 520 ohms on that sensor just what its supposed to be. I dont understand how the ECU would know there is a problem with it if it sees the right resistance. The engine is not turning so.... guess I will poke around in there some more.
I got the F-12 to go away. You know how? I shorted the solenoid with a screwdriver which turned the motor a bit and voila! No more F-12. I then went in and cleared it. Then I relized my neutral switch no longer works. I dont know why. If I ground the wire from it at the relay I get the neutral light on the dash and the relay clicks (enable the ignition I suppose). But if I pull up the kickstand it fires. That neutral switch looks impossible to get to so bet it will stay broken.