Cardo Q3 -any issues w/reception at speed ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliick2

Reaction score
Friends, I've been procrastinating about upgrading my GPS & audio for a couple years. After doing a lot

of research on just the right GPS & a Bluetooth audio system, I came up with a Garmin 2497 nuvi & a

Cardo Q3 headset/ microphone combo. The reason I'm asking about reception ,is that I had some J&M

speakers in my helmet when I was riding a Goldwing & there was a lot of wind noise. I had to raise the volume, just to hear over the road/wind noise. Any experiences would be a big help before I pull the trigger on this purchase. Thanks in advance. Sliick

You do know the 2497 is for "car" usage, and may not stand up to rain/dirt/sun on a motorcycle.

It will be enclosed in a tank bag ,plus I can't really justify 7 hundred dollars for the use it would get. Any suggestions on an alternate GPS at a lower cost ? Thanks

Try looking for something like a refurbished Zumo 550.

I have had several different Cardo Scala systems and find the audio to be just fine. The Scala systems compensate for wind noise and has a very good wind canceling filter. I had my Scala paired with a Zumo 550 and when paired to an Android phone then an iPhone and I could talk to people at work while riding >55 mph, they thought I was in my office and asked me to walk down the hall to see them. Right now I have the same setup except I'm using an inexpensive cheap Chinese phone and even that works ok. The Scala amps up volume automatically as wind noise increases, you don't notice it as it happens because it always sounds like the same setting. You may have to move the speakers around to find the sweet spot. I put the speakers in the ear pockets of an Arai and a Shoei helmet and that placed them perfectly. The ear pockets in the Shoei Air helmet are so deep that I did put something in the pockets to move the speakers forward towards my ears, then had to turn the volume way down because the speakers were so loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
...The ear pockets in the Shoei Air helmet are so deep that I did put something in the pockets to move the speakers forward towards my ears, then had to turn the volume way down because the speakers were so loud.
I just started using a Q1 Teamset this past season (yes, my riding season has passed, with a major exclamation point last week). I wear an HJC modular helmet and found that I needed to bring the speakers closer to my ear, but they made it easy by including a couple of velcro-covered pads to put in between the ear pockets and the speakers. They are just barely touching my ears now and as Ionbeam found, I had to lower the volume at that point to make it comfortable. The only issue we experience with wind noise is when one of us leaves the visor open or partially open. Other than that, no worries about extraneous noise...other than when I forget that my wife can now hear me when I talk to myself...

Thanks so much for the feed back ! That's the stuff I was looking for. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for a refurbished motorcycle unit. I really love the Idea of the hands free mobility. Thanks again for the insight guys ! Sliick

Ionbeam- What type of mount do u use on your FJR ? Stem nut ?( Tech mount ?) The web site you linked did have a complete 550 (used) for $300. very decent. Thanks. Sliick

The problem with the Nuvi is that you can sync your phone to it, but you have no means to sync a headset so you can use it. The Nuvi series, other than the old 765T does not have mic and headset ports or Bluetooth sync capability. There is a reason Garmin can get hundreds of dollars more for its Zumo series...they intentionally disable the ability to use Nuvi audio and phone features on a motorcycle. You can sync your phone directly to a BT headset and get music and phone in your helmet, but you still won't get navigation directions.

I use a Uclear headset, and think the best BT systems on the market are currently Sena SMH10 or 20 series or the Uclear HBC200. Both have bike to bike capability with longer range, and very good sound quality, especially with optional earbuds. I use a set of Uclear earbuds that exclude most outside noise and deliver excellent audio quality. No helmet speaker can ever get close, but some people have problems with using earbuds or ear plugs for sustained time. I think Uclear has the advantage of not requiring a boom microphone. The mics use beaming technology, and are built into the headset speakers or into the earbud cords at the jawbone. The noise filtering of the Uclear is especially impressive, and anyone on the phone comments they had no idea I was on a bike.

I've been using Q3's for almost a year now on a daily basis, about 20k miles.

-0- problems. No problems speaking or listening at 85 mph.

Yesterday I went for a ride with my son up to the Palomar observatory and that was the first time

I've ever experienced range problems. My son got maybe a quarter mile ahead

and with the granite mountain between us I would lose the connection. It would

quickly hook back up once we were within eyesight.

I would gladly recommend the Q3.