Cautionary Tales about Seth Laam!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's had an employee for quite a while now, to handle all the scheduling and communication. She is who he has been corresponding with. The one man band is no longer any excuse.
I think it is, Seth is still the only one touching the seats. Kaarin is only dealing with the administration portion of the business as I understand it.
I absolutely think that is the case. When I was having my seat done, Seth and I discussed how difficult its been for him to find quality help that sticks around.

I went through much the same with Rick Mayer. If true there is no excuse for the lack of communication. Too busy isnt working for me either. Quit taking in more work than you can handle.

So what if your seat shows up in the mail tomorrow and it is the best thing since sliced bread? Are you going to go back through all the negative posts and amend that you finally got your seat and you like it? Just Curious...
I wouldn't see where he'd need to do all of that. Just because the seats are good doesn't fix the communication problems. It also doesn't fix the time riding lost issue. It also doesn't fix the issue that he had several commitments that were made to him that were not held up.

He also isn't the first to post up these types of problems. As for the spoiled child comment, I'd say it sounded far from that. When someone has your stuff and your money and won't communicate back, there's obviously little recourse and the business has the power at that point. Folks who run businesses like this live and breathe from word of mouth, so the recourse you have is negative word of mouth and he's using it.

That said, if someone never felt like being part of the community and joins up for the sole purpose of complaining, I'd say that you should grab a drink and sit by the fire and let's get to know each other first.

I do have to say though, these kinds of things happen with certain vendors. They are really good at what they do, and might be really good at dealing with folks one on one, but not so good at dealing with the deluge that comes their way. That seems to be the case here. It ends up with very polarized customers. I happen to know of a particular Yamaha tuner who has polarized people to the point that you can't even discuss his name on certain forums because of the flame wars it starts. I hope that doesn't happen to Seth and that he's able to get things under control.

Rather than attack the messenger, this may be something to watch. Rick Mayer made my seats and was a respected business, until he wasn't. Rick Mayer ultimately became known for taking orders and money and not delivering the goods. His personal and business life went to the shitter.

If Seth does not aggressively address issues like the one posted here, he is on a similar path regardless of how good he was in the past. One bad story is a cause for concern, but still an anomaly. It doesn't take many bad stories to ruin a reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not saying he does not have a legitimate bitch, I am just saying his choice of words came off as a whiny baby to me, is all.

If someone wants run a successful service business then he must communicate with his customers. He doesn't have to make time to do it personally, he could simply tell his receptionist/assistant (or whatever) what to say and let her spend the time communicating with the customers. She has already spent too much time communicating with the OP trying to keep him happy without actually telling him anything helpful. A straightforward honest response is called for even if the response is that the seats will be ready next year, or 'sorry, we lost your seats', or whatever is the truth.

I know neither party. All I can suggest is that if you have a legitimate complaint, to contact the State's Attorney General's office. They will investigate and help to resolve the matter, at no cost. I have had to use my state's attorney general's office twice. Both times, my complaint was resolved in a couple of weeks to my satisfaction.

Sometimes that is the nudge that is needed.

EDIT: I see that you are from Pennsylvania. Here is a link to the form you will need to fill out.

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/MainSite/Content/ComplaintForms/BCP_Complaint_Form.pdf

...if you have a legitimate complaint, to contact the State's Attorney General's office...
To this point it looks more like a (non) communications issue, no party has 'damages' so far. Perhaps the Better Business Bureau would be a better choice to start with. A complaint which has been quickly and successful resolved leaves a better record and informative information for someone that looks up Seth Laam at the BBB.

Where there's smoke there's fire. And Seth has certainly had a lot of smoke surrounding his hacienda. On other forums too. I wouldn't trust my seats to him, based on the smelt smoke unless I did a ride in and waited for the work to be done that day.

I am not saying he does not have a legitimate bitch, I am just saying his choice of words came off as a whiny baby to me, is all.
Let's see, if true, he pre-paid, sent both his seats, has no seats now, out the money, and FOUR MONTHS have gone by and they won't tell him WTF is up. I'd be incredibly pissed if that happened to me.

Where there's smoke there's fire. And Seth has certainly had a lot of smoke surrounding his hacienda. On other forums too. I wouldn't trust my seats to him, based on the smelt smoke unless I did a ride in and waited for the work to be done that day.
It's looking like Seth's booking issue is about to make an automatic market correction. I've heard it called the Missile Curve -- straight up, straight down ;)

...if you have a legitimate complaint, to contact the State's Attorney General's office...
To this point it looks more like a (non) communications issue, no party has 'damages' so far. Perhaps the Better Business Bureau would be a better choice to start with. A complaint which has been quickly and successful resolved leaves a better record and informative information for someone that looks up Seth Laam at the BBB.
There is no record if he goes the Attorney General route. Usually, the business owner complies because of what COULD happen. It's like aiming a cannon at someone and saying "Please do what you are supposed to do." There is suddenly incentive to comply!

Conversely, if the OP is making a false claim, it will be determined and he will be asked to desist.

We all should remember that none of us "know" the OP. IF he is legitimate and IF he is telling the truth, then by all means I hope he gets satisfaction.

None of which erases the fact that the very first we ever hear of this guy is a long complaining rant with the obvious potential to harm someone's business reputation and therefore that person's livelihood. It may be that we are all taking part in slander and libel. Or we may not. Either way, I encourage the OP to return, be nice, and contribute something positive.

Edit: Thought better of my comments here and decided a PM might be more appropriate.

Rather than attack the messenger, this may be something to watch. Rick Mayer made my seats and was a respected business, until he wasn't. Rick Mayer ultimately became known for taking orders and money and not delivering the goods. His personal and business life went to the shitter.
If Seth does not aggressively address issues like the one posted here, he is on a similar path regardless of how good he was in the past. One bad story is a cause for concern, but still an anomaly. It doesn't take many bad stories to ruin a reputation.

Something I didn't add to my post above, was that Seth used to work for Rick. In fact when I had my Mayer seat built it was Seth that did the cover, while Rick cut the foam. So there is a common history and location, and the actual construction of a Seth Laam seat is not coincidentally similar to a Rick Mayer. I sure hope he has not taken an additional page from Rick's business playbook and started down the path of stiffing customers and making excuses.

This is the tough part about a small sole proprietorship. It is only as good as it's owner, and owners (people) change. Is it burn-out? Natural business cycle? Slowing with age? Personal issues? Well it doesn't matter because the next customer is the future on which your business will be judged.

Well, knowing the previous reputation of Laam, (including my past criticism of his lack of clear delivery dates) I sent in my seats for a custom build. Also knowing this history, I purchased a set of stock seats to use while waiting...knowing the history. I have my own reasons for choosing Laam over others this go round.

I have had others that have had Laam seats done. Taking it all in, I have rolled the dice assuming that delivery date may be extended beyond what I would wish.

This doesn't help the OP, but I will report back my results with Seth Laam.

Hopefully they will have arrived by the time the Ramble rolls around.

To everyone who replied to my post:

I just got a call from Seth. We agreed on everything, and I can't express how relived I am.

To anyone who though I'm a fake - no, I'm not. I'm not an evil competitor, or a troll. Please send me private message, I'll give you my phone number, and will be happy to give you as may details about myself as you wish. I'm new as a member to this forum, but I was reading it for as long as I had FJR (actually - longer). And not all of us have something to say... until there is something to say.

To anoyone who thinks there was a better way to handle it: this post was an act of desperation, as I'm felt that I didn't have any options left. I also warned SL that I'm going to do this unless he calls me, this was not a backstabbing without a warning. Someone suggested that I would ride over and resolve it, well, that's just stupid. I live across the country, and coming over would cost me more than buying a whole new seat all over again.

Since my issue was resolved I would like to remove this post now, and I'll ask forum administration to help me, as I certainly don't want to hurt this guy business and he was very apologetic and genuine.