Central Florida tech day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been out trying to get the shop reorganized and ready for everyone. Dang it, I got 10 lbs of crap in a 8 lb box as they say; figuring out where to stash it all is challenging, but I'll get there. I moved the tire changer across the garage and waiting on concrete anchors from McMaster; it should be much better in the new location. Out of the way and plenty of room around it still.

I do have red loctite but no blue. My double sided tape is pretty old but it would act as a damper for the big foot. I even have a fresh load of JB weld if you want to go that route. What else do we need?

Hoping for a nice day and no cold front! We're supposed to be back in the 80s this weekend after this little bit of cold tonight.

What else do we need?

Hoping for a nice day and no cold front! We're supposed to be back in the 80s this weekend after this little bit of cold tonight.
Ughhh, my first thought when you said that was, It's THIS weekend??? Nope. Next weekend. Of course some of you ride so slow, you might wanna get an early start...

What else do we need? Let's see, maybe we could bring some food or snacks or ??? Also, as I said before, anybody interested in doing a fork oil change?

Meet up? What time ya planning on leaving? I was thinking about leaving @ 5 or 5:30 from my place... and heading north on 41 through Brooksville to pick up 50, then east to 50 & I-75. It's a half hour from home.

Oh yeah, watch those car tire cracks. I love that tire. I never told anybody, but we have a... relationship. There, I'm coming out of the closet. Now ya know. We celebrating our 33rd together this month.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been out trying to get the shop reorganized and ready for everyone. Dang it, I got 10 lbs of crap in a 8 lb box as they say; figuring out where to stash it all is challenging, but I'll get there. I moved the tire changer across the garage and waiting on concrete anchors from McMaster; it should be much better in the new location. Out of the way and plenty of room around it still.
I do have red loctite but no blue. My double sided tape is pretty old but it would act as a damper for the big foot. I even have a fresh load of JB weld if you want to go that route. What else do we need?

Jim, as the master mechanic/host, what are your adventures for the day?

I could sure use some electrical help on the '08- the mounting panel should arrive soon. have a Centech AP-1 W/relay already pre-made.

Do you have shrink wrapping?

I have the Bigfoot, but need to order the Fender Extender- I will bring adhesive.

I am going to order some power ports (Rear dual and front panel)

Wow... the list grows...

Any one plan to do throttle body synchronization? I am interested in learning not fixing my bike this time.

Jim, don't forget that I'm bringing the hot dogs and all the fixins. Keep tabs on how many people are coming so I'll bring enough for all day nibbling. If you don't have charcoal, let me know. I'll bring that too. :)

Can I come and stay till May??

-20oC this morning on my drive over to Timmy's for coffee.

Come on down, Fitter. You can stay at my place. I've got five bedrooms and I only use one! It's a bone chilling 54F here right now but, it'll be 80F tomorrow. :)

I've got shrink wrap, a heat gun, a soldering gun, solder, flux... if you need anything, let me know.

I've also got an old carb tune, the older unit with the 4 glass tubes... I used it to synch my throttle bodies 2 years ago. Anybody need me to bring any of this stuff?

1-75 ??? no, I did not mean I-95. Granted, I'll end up at 1-95 sooner or later, but I gotta get past I-75 first. I was answering questions for those who live around here. I live about 15 miles west of I-75.

I'd like to run the route below. As you can see, it's easier for me than heading down to Tampa and picking up 1-4.

Screenshot2014-01-08at70108AM.png

Gary

I've got shrink wrap, a heat gun, a soldering gun, solder, flux... if you need anything, let me know.I've also got an old carb tune, the older unit with the 4 glass tubes... I used it to synch my throttle bodies 2 years ago. Anybody need me to bring any of this stuff?

Gary
Gary- Can you bring whatever Jim doesn't have... That won't be much, but if we are doing throttle bodies my '08 might have to stay at home.

The '05 has always comes first. (Plus I have so much to do on the '08, might keep me too busy to learn new tricks)

I'd be willing to assist on a TBS myself. That would be Great to see and learn. Now, we're talikn'! :)

And I would love to assist anyone wanting to change the rubber on their wheels. Just Sayin'

1-75 ??? no, I did not mean I-95. Granted, I'll end up at 1-95 sooner or later, but I gotta get past I-75 first. I was answering questions for those who live around here. I live about 15 miles west of I-75.

Gary
Sorry Gary, thought you were giving route info.

I asked a co-worker to ride along with me, even though I doubt he'll go. He has an 198x FJ, and works on it himself (machinist), and thought it would be great to have a "big brother" there with all the FJRs. We'll see.

I asked a co-worker to ride along with me, even though I doubt he'll go. He has an 198x FJ, and works on it himself (machinist), and thought it would be great to have a "big brother" there with all the FJRs. We'll see.
That would be neater than shit, LKLD. :)

After some recommendations from other members I've fitted a laminar lip and a set of Garaulds excellent hiway pegs so the trip will be a good test for these, plus the other seating 'arrangements' should be here before then.

I could bring my MotionPro syncher if anyone thinks there might be a call for multiple operations.

Just let me know.

Steve

Steve, I just put a set of Garauld's Hiway pegs on. They make all the difference in the world and you don't have to remove them to replace the oil filter. WHY?? Did I wait so long. :))

Looks like I won't make this one. We're supposed to close on the house a few days later so we're kinda busy. Next time?

Jesse, sorry to hear you can't make it; you're welcome anytime!

I've got plenty of shrink tubing in sizes up to 1" or so; ditto wiring plus I have the tote wiring container from hell (I don't throw things away!). I don't have a good soldering gun; I use a little torch for the most part on solder. I do have excellent crimping pliers in a couple of varieties, and a heat gun for the heat shrink, so we should be good.

I have the throttle body sync tool (Carbtune Pro). I've never used it - that's one task I need to do this winter. I see at least 1 wanting to do a sync; I guess we'll all learn together! We can print out the instructions and have them ready; do we want to use Fred Ws completely unauthorized version? Or??? you tell me and I'll have instructions ready to go.

On the food, MM is bringing dogs, my wife is planning to make a big pan of mac'n'cheese. I have a small grill but should be up to the job OK. I'll have charcoal so no worries there. As to a head count - who all do we have?

1 -Me/Jim

2 - Gary aka Garyahouse

3 - Tony aka 101stPathfinder

4 - Vic aka majikmaker

5 - Steve aka YummYam

6 - Roy aka RoyC

XXX - Yamafitter wishes he could come

7 - LKLD

8 - Dave aka DaveB aka Pale Rider

9 - Jim aka FLFJRS

I count 9; am I missing anyone?