CFR 2013 Official Announcement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was born and raised near the Falls and know pretty much every back road and trail in the Niagara Peninsula.I can get you to Huntsville with a minimum of slab but I need to think about it a bit. The route I'm thinking about eliminates the 401.

There will be some boring bits that are unavoidable in South-West Ontario but at least you won't get ran over by a Quebec trucker hopped up on bennies on the 401.
That would be awesome Bill. I was wondering when you were going to chime in!
Since I'll essentially be going the same way, I may eavesdrop a bit to see how to go!
rolleyes.gif
You won't be the only one.

Rob gave you good advice. The issue is that crossing the border in the Niagra Region (Peace Bridge, Niagara or Queenston/Lewiston) will put you smack dab in the sights of having to get by Toronto.
Let's make this clear. The 401 is the busiest Hwy in North America. Busier than New York, Los Angeles or Chicago. Think transports, idiot drivers and construction. By most normal peoples traffic standards it's ALWAYS rush hour. Any time between 7am and 10am and 3pm and 7pm, it's a parking lot. Not a good place to be on a bike!

If it all possible, I suggest crossing to the East of Niagara. Thousand Islands, Ogdensburg or Cornwall. (oh, btw, Ogdensburg is a VERY tall metal grate bridge just so you know). Once you get outside of the Toronto vicinity, riding is much better, at least as far as traffic/roads are concerned.

BTW, I think paying the toll on the 407 is worth the money to avoid the 401/427 corridor. MUCH less traffic even during peak times. So it costs you $15 one way. Your around Toronto in 15 minutes instead of 60-90 minutes.
All good info. The thing is I want to take Janet to The falls, so we will probably just cross at the Rainbow Bridge. We will just have to plan our exit time accordingly. We will be staying somewhere that will have us able to be at the falls mid morning.

IMHO, if you have never crossed at the Rainbow Bridge it is worth doing it for the view of the falls.
I have, but Janet has never been to the falls, we will go that way.
Bob, if you are planning to leave Niagara Falls at 1:30ish and want to be in Huntsville by 6pm I would take the Qew and pick up the 407 ( Toll Road) at Burlington and take that over to the 400, completely bypassing the 401 and the worst of the QEW. Go north on 400 (watch your speed) and pick up Hwy 11 (also watch your speed) to Huntsville. Exit Hwy 60 east...the resort is just off the south side of the hwy. All the other routes I've seen suggested are good too, but not if you want to get there for 6pm'ish. This route is all slabbing, but not so much the Hwy 11 portion which takes you through Port Severn and into Muskoka. That is a pretty ride in the later afternoon with the sun at your back.
smile.png

I was born and raised near the Falls and know pretty much every back road and trail in the Niagara Peninsula.I can get you to Huntsville with a minimum of slab but I need to think about it a bit. The route I'm thinking about eliminates the 401.

There will be some boring bits that are unavoidable in South-West Ontario but at least you won't get ran over by a Quebec trucker hopped up on bennies on the 401.
Since I'll essentially be going the same way, I may eavesdrop a bit to see how to go!
rolleyes.gif
Mikey,

NOOOO!!!! DON'T DO IT.

I've seen those stupid falls, and they aren't worth the hassle of travelling through Tarawna. Steer way mo' easterly, enjoy the 'daks on the way Nort and meet us up around the right end of Lake Ontario, or even somewhere else funner along the way. I'll PM you with our full itinerary if you like.

Rob gave you good advice. The issue is that crossing the border in the Niagra Region (Peace Bridge, Niagara or Queenston/Lewiston) will put you smack dab in the sights of having to get by Toronto.
Let's make this clear. The 401 is the busiest Hwy in North America. Busier than New York, Los Angeles or Chicago. Think transports, idiot drivers and construction. By most normal peoples traffic standards it's ALWAYS rush hour. Any time between 7am and 10am and 3pm and 7pm, it's a parking lot. Not a good place to be on a bike!

If it all possible, I suggest crossing to the East of Niagara. Thousand Islands, Ogdensburg or Cornwall. (oh, btw, Ogdensburg is a VERY tall metal grate bridge just so you know). Once you get outside of the Toronto vicinity, riding is much better, at least as far as traffic/roads are concerned.

BTW, I think paying the toll on the 407 is worth the money to avoid the 401/427 corridor. MUCH less traffic even during peak times. So it costs you $15 one way. Your around Toronto in 15 minutes instead of 60-90 minutes.
All good info. The thing is I want to take Janet to The falls, so we will probably just cross at the Rainbow Bridge. We will just have to plan our exit time accordingly. We will be staying somewhere that will have us able to be at the falls mid morning.

IMHO, if you have never crossed at the Rainbow Bridge it is worth doing it for the view of the falls.
I have, but Janet has never been to the falls, we will go that way.
Bob, if you are planning to leave Niagara Falls at 1:30ish and want to be in Huntsville by 6pm I would take the Qew and pick up the 407 ( Toll Road) at Burlington and take that over to the 400, completely bypassing the 401 and the worst of the QEW. Go north on 400 (watch your speed) and pick up Hwy 11 (also watch your speed) to Huntsville. Exit Hwy 60 east...the resort is just off the south side of the hwy. All the other routes I've seen suggested are good too, but not if you want to get there for 6pm'ish. This route is all slabbing, but not so much the Hwy 11 portion which takes you through Port Severn and into Muskoka. That is a pretty ride in the later afternoon with the sun at your back.
smile.png
Mike,

I really hope to be leaving the falls area before noon. I am looking at staying somewhere fairly close just south of the falls Wednesday night. Thanks for the input.

@ Intech I have send you an email with some routes.... check them out....
Got 'em. thanks Tom!

rolleyes.gif
Mikey,

NOOOO!!!! DON'T DO IT.

I've seen those stupid falls, and they aren't worth the hassle of travelling through Tarawna. Steer way mo' easterly, enjoy the 'daks on the way Nort and meet us up around the right end of Lake Ontario, or even somewhere else funner along the way. I'll PM you with our full itinerary if you like.
Fred?? Why the negativity? I realize what I am in for as I have been through the area several times, just not eventually north. I promised Janet I would take her to the falls. She has never been. I have thoroughly enjoyed them every time I have been. I will qualify that with saying that the last two were off season. Either way I would have to add a day if I was to avoid the area coming from my direction. Anyway, it will be good to see you and Josie.

Anyone else who might be in the area (the falls) on Thursday morning and would like to ride together let me know. It would be great to have riding companions.

Mikey,

NOOOO!!!! DON'T DO IT.

I was going to ask you for a copy of that PM
Then I remembered I was thinking I might just slide down to your place and ride up with you and Josie :p . (I'd best be getting a formal request off to you)

The route you gave me for Manotick - crossing at Ogdensburg (with the "VERY tall metal grate bridge") - would have been beautiful had I been able to see it through the fog and pouring rain. A do-over would be great !

rolleyes.gif
Mikey,

NOOOO!!!! DON'T DO IT.

Fred?? Why the negativity? I realize what I am in for as I have been through the area several times, just not eventually north. I promised Janet I would take her to the falls. She has never been. I have thoroughly enjoyed them every time I have been. I will qualify that with saying that the last two were off season. Either way I would have to add a day if I was to avoid the area coming from my direction. Anyway, it will be good to see you and Josie.
Bob, I know your name isn't Mikey. ;) I know that you wanted to show your wife the falls.

I was replying to Mike (BigOgre) who will be coming up from Long Island. It would be a much funner ride for him to come up through the 'Dacks and staying east of Lake Ontario.

Mikey,

NOOOO!!!! DON'T DO IT.

Then I remembered I was thinking I might just slide down to your place and ride up with you and Josie
tongue.png
. (I'd best be getting a formal request off to you)

The route you gave me for Manotick - crossing at Ogdensburg (with the "VERY tall metal grate bridge") - would have been beautiful had I been able to see it through the fog and pouring rain. A do-over would be great !
That's cool. I really don't remember the route I made for you then, but I'll dig around and see if I can find it.

rolleyes.gif
Mikey,

NOOOO!!!! DON'T DO IT.

Bob, I know your name isn't Mikey.
wink.png
I know that you wanted to show your wife the falls.

I was replying to Mike (BigOgre) who will be coming up from Long Island. It would be a much funner ride for him to come up through the 'Dacks and staying east of Lake Ontario.

Mikey,

NOOOO!!!! DON'T DO IT.

Then I remembered I was thinking I might just slide down to your place and ride up with you and Josie
tongue.png
. (I'd best be getting a formal request off to you)

That's cool. I really don't remember the route I made for you then, but I'll dig around and see if I can find it.
Yeah, but.... you are scaring all my potential riding companions away!!
rolleyes.gif

Our plans are far from final, but it looks like we'll be ending a two week trip at CFR. We're planning to head out for the Maritimes for a week, or so, and then venture west to Huntsville for more playtime. Can't wait to see you all there, if not sooner.

In the meantime, if anyone has some good route suggestions for the trip from Nova Scotia to Huntsville, pass them along. Thanks!

rolleyes.gif
Not all! We'll be crossing up through there on Thursday so we'd be happy to ride with you! I'd typically cross at the Peace Bridge since it's closest to me, but we can head up to the falls before crossing.

Mike

rolleyes.gif
Not all! We'll be crossing up through there on Thursday so we'd be happy to ride with you! I'd typically cross at the Peace Bridge since it's closest to me, but we can head up to the falls before crossing.

Mike
Great. Once we solidify our plans I will let you know. Tentatively, I plan to be at the falls in the morning and head out of the area by around 11 ish.

Sooze and i have been discussing our options to get to Huntsville and back.

We're thinking of doing a loop involving da UP and crossing at Sault Ste. Marie, Huntsville, and crossing at Ogdensburg. Not sure if we'll go clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Nothing definite yet. Just coming up with a concept for now, but there is this lake up in northern Michigan that we love...

If you have the time to do it this route will first take you over to Victoria Park for the best view of the Horseshoe Falls (the Canadian and best part of Niagara Falls) and then runs down the Niagara Parkway to Niagara-on-the-Lake which IMHO is worth at least a quick stop if you have never been in the area. Lots of history and a somewhat trendy but nice main street to take a stroll and have some good ice cream. From there I route you along the shoreline of Lake Ontario for a short bit and then its through the vineyards and fruit orchards over to Thorold and use the Thorold Tunnel to go under the Welland Canal before heading over to Decew Falls.

I then run you through more vineyards past the well respected Henry of Pelham winery over to Balls Falls and then turn you along the brink of the Niagara escarpment over to Hamilton. From here it gets boring until you hit the Forks of the Credit which will wake you back up. I then take you over to top of Toronto just skirting the top of Newmarket before taking you up Hwy 12 just before Orillia.

I then will get you onto Mounk Rd over to Norland that has some nice sweepers before turning north on Hwy 35 all the way up to Hwy 60 and then turn you off for the final section to the resort. The route measures out to 541 km and other than the short section at Hamilton this route has no 4 lane slab.

Here is the link to the Garmin gdb file:

Niagara Falls to Huntsville

Last edited by a moderator:
rolleyes.gif
Ooops... sorry. Didn't mean to do that.

Anyone that hasn't seen Niagara Falls, it's definitely something that you have to do once in your life.
wink.png

Say... Did you call me Pal?

edited to remove geographically impaired post (doh!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Carver and I got to have a sit on the Bridge. There was some type of construction going on an we got a couple minutes to check things out.

No traffic ahead or behind, just us two schmucks.. I didn't get any pictures but Don might have?

My unknown at the moment is if I can take one or two days to travel. If I blast straight up, would probably angle towards Niagara but I do know there's some nice riding due North - and how often does one get to do this, right??. Will know more as it gets closer. But thanks for the invite Fred, PM sent.

Our plans are far from final, but it looks like we'll be ending a two week trip at CFR. We're planning to head out for the Maritimes for a week, or so, and then venture west to Huntsville for more playtime. Can't wait to see you all there, if not sooner. In the meantime, if anyone has some good route suggestions for the trip from Nova Scotia to Huntsville, pass them along. Thanks!
Now this sounds like a plan! But . . umm . . . both bikes right? You guys didn't go out and buy a 'Wing too or something, didcha?
hehe.gif

Haha... no, no, no. :nono: I can tell you Gina don't ride bitch, especially on any old wings.
rolleyes.gif

Expect to see her blackbird roll in to Ontario covered in 2 weeks of road crust. ;)