CFR 2013 Official Announcement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm clueless
to_become_senile.gif
I just follow.
I am going to let odot Ray have the first swing at this softball!

And then there was North Bay.... Just funnin' Steve We knew ya meant to do that.

One of the high points of that sweltering day
Lost in North Bay? ahhhh that's so sweet!
Took me a bit to figure out what the hell Bust was talking about. Now I 'bemember. Pathfinder, Extreme Marine and Bust were doing their Saddlesore around Lake Huron and I rode out to Elliot Lake to meet them. Got them 'fast' gas in Lively instead of detouring for 30 minutes 'in' to Sudbury. Then we stopped again for a top up and water break in North Bay. It was FUGGIN HOT that day! I'm still shocked they did that ride. I would've passed on it.

Anyway, if you've ever been to North Bay, their are no gas stations on the 'ring road' around the city. Lots of everything else, but no gas stations. The closest one is at the turn off at 17 & Hwy 11 North. But you have to go past it and do a U-turn to get to it. I just KNEW what those assholes were thinking when they saw me pull a U-ie!
As far as I know there is no ring road around North Bay.....
Guess that explains why you always take your chances on the beat up cobble stoned streets then huh :D

I'm not well-versed in which is better traffic-wise, but I'm lazy and always cross the first bridge I come to, Peace Bridge. Also depends on time of day and if there is a holiday (either side).

Someone more versed in those crossing will maybe say... I only ever used the peace bridge in Buffalo/ Fort Erie. What I would be more concerned about is the Toronto traffic or how to avoid it. That is no fun!!!!!

I take it you are thinking of routes to Huntsville?

If that being the case I wouldn't take QEW to 427 to 400 to 11 or anything like that!

Someone more versed in those crossing will maybe say... I only ever used the peace bridge in Buffalo/ Fort Erie. What I would be more concerned about is the Toronto traffic or how to avoid it. That is no fun!!!!!

If that being the case I wouldn't take QEW to 427 to 400 to 11 or anything like that!
OK, well we are definitely going to the falls, so what is the best way to Huntsville from there?

And then there was North Bay.... Just funnin' Steve We knew ya meant to do that.

One of the high points of that sweltering day
Lost in North Bay? ahhhh that's so sweet!
Took me a bit to figure out what the hell Bust was talking about. Now I 'bemember. Pathfinder, Extreme Marine and Bust were doing their Saddlesore around Lake Huron and I rode out to Elliot Lake to meet them. Got them 'fast' gas in Lively instead of detouring for 30 minutes 'in' to Sudbury. Then we stopped again for a top up and water break in North Bay. It was FUGGIN HOT that day! I'm still shocked they did that ride. I would've passed on it.

Anyway, if you've ever been to North Bay, their are no gas stations on the 'ring road' around the city. Lots of everything else, but no gas stations. The closest one is at the turn off at 17 & Hwy 11 North. But you have to go past it and do a U-turn to get to it. I just KNEW what those assholes were thinking when they saw me pull a U-ie!
As far as I know there is no ring road around North Bay.....
Guess that explains why you always take your chances on the beat up cobble stoned streets then huh
biggrin.png
Sorry.... I don't get it the cobble stones?

As far as I know hwy 17 comes into North Bay from the west and heads out the east towards Ottawa. Hwy 11 comes in from the north and heads south out of North Bay. Somwhere in between they join for a little while. As you pass the mall, (17/11 junction) you can either turn right and get gas at the Canadian Tire Gas bar or turn left and get gas at the Shell gas station. Both are in the first block going either direction. No concrete islands to go around.

I have family in North Bay so I have spend a couple of days driving around the city.

OK, well we are definitely going to the falls, so what is the best way to Huntsville from there?
You want to cross Toronto between 10am and 2pm if it's a weekday. I would take the QEW to 427 N to 401 E all the way to Hwy 115/35. Then stay on 35 all the way to 60 E into Hunsville. Avoid the 407, it's a toll road. Fuel up in Niagara that way you won't have to stop on the 401. If you look at Google maps you will see the road system all around Lake Ontario is a big grid pattern. No fun roads until you get further north. It will take about 2 hours from Niagara to 115/35.

You want to cross Toronto between 10am and 2pm if it's a weekday. I would take the QEW to 427 N to 401 E all the way to Hwy 115/35. Then stay on 35 all the way to 60 E into Hunsville. Avoid the 407, it's a toll road. Fuel up in Niagara that way you won't have to stop on the 401. If you look at Google maps you will see the road system all around Lake Ontario is a big grid pattern. No fun roads until you get further north. It will take about 2 hours from Niagara to 115/35.
Awesome. Thanks for the info!

Rob gave you good advice. The issue is that crossing the border in the Niagra Region (Peace Bridge, Niagara or Queenston/Lewiston) will put you smack dab in the sights of having to get by Toronto.

Let's make this clear. The 401 is the busiest Hwy in North America. Busier than New York, Los Angeles or Chicago. Think transports, idiot drivers and construction. By most normal peoples traffic standards it's ALWAYS rush hour. Any time between 7am and 10am and 3pm and 7pm, it's a parking lot. Not a good place to be on a bike!

If it all possible, I suggest crossing to the East of Niagara. Thousand Islands, Ogdensburg or Cornwall. (oh, btw, Ogdensburg is a VERY tall metal grate bridge just so you know). Once you get outside of the Toronto vicinity, riding is much better, at least as far as traffic/roads are concerned.

BTW, I think paying the toll on the 407 is worth the money to avoid the 401/427 corridor. MUCH less traffic even during peak times. So it costs you $15 one way. Your around Toronto in 15 minutes instead of 60-90 minutes.

I plan on being in Owosso fecking Michigan on Wednesday night and then I plan on following Bust and Geek to Huntsville. What could possibly go wrong, eh?

jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO, if you have never crossed at the Rainbow Bridge it is worth doing it for the view of the falls.

Rob gave you good advice. The issue is that crossing the border in the Niagra Region (Peace Bridge, Niagara or Queenston/Lewiston) will put you smack dab in the sights of having to get by Toronto.
Let's make this clear. The 401 is the busiest Hwy in North America. Busier than New York, Los Angeles or Chicago. Think transports, idiot drivers and construction. By most normal peoples traffic standards it's ALWAYS rush hour. Any time between 7am and 10am and 3pm and 7pm, it's a parking lot. Not a good place to be on a bike!

If it all possible, I suggest crossing to the East of Niagara. Thousand Islands, Ogdensburg or Cornwall. (oh, btw, Ogdensburg is a VERY tall metal grate bridge just so you know). Once you get outside of the Toronto vicinity, riding is much better, at least as far as traffic/roads are concerned.

BTW, I think paying the toll on the 407 is worth the money to avoid the 401/427 corridor. MUCH less traffic even during peak times. So it costs you $15 one way. Your around Toronto in 15 minutes instead of 60-90 minutes.
All good info. The thing is I want to take Janet to The falls, so we will probably just cross at the Rainbow Bridge. We will just have to plan our exit time accordingly. We will be staying somewhere that will have us able to be at the falls mid morning.

IMHO, if you have never crossed at the Rainbow Bridge it is worth doing it for the view of the falls.
I have, but Janet has never been to the falls, we will go that way.

I was born and raised near the Falls and know pretty much every back road and trail in the Niagara Peninsula.

I can get you to Huntsville with a minimum of slab but I need to think about it a bit. The route I'm thinking about eliminates the 401.

There will be some boring bits that are unavoidable in South-West Ontario but at least you won't get ran over by a Quebec trucker hopped up on bennies on the 401.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Geezer" data-cid="1031486"><p>IMHO, if you have never crossed at the Rainbow Bridge it is worth doing it for the view of the falls. </p></blockquote><br />True that!<br /><br />Won't let me put in a pic..<br />https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Bungie41/SE%20Ohio/IMG_1402.jpg<br />

I was born and raised near the Falls and know pretty much every back road and trail in the Niagara Peninsula.I can get you to Huntsville with a minimum of slab but I need to think about it a bit. The route I'm thinking about eliminates the 401.

There will be some boring bits that are unavoidable in South-West Ontario but at least you won't get ran over by a Quebec trucker hopped up on bennies on the 401.
That would be awesome Bill. I was wondering when you were going to chime in!

I was born and raised near the Falls and know pretty much every back road and trail in the Niagara Peninsula.I can get you to Huntsville with a minimum of slab but I need to think about it a bit. The route I'm thinking about eliminates the 401.

That would be awesome Bill. I was wondering when you were going to chime in!
Since I'll essentially be going the same way, I may eavesdrop a bit to see how to go!
rolleyes.gif

When leaving Huntsville in 2007 to head towards EOM, I headed east to Calaboogie land...then south to the Ogdensburg crossing...nobody there, in and out in 5 minutes. The bridge was no big deal for me, even being "heights challenged". Grating does not bother me...some others might have a problem...as fussy as some seem to be regarding an unintended gravel road.

...If it all possible, I suggest crossing to the East of Niagara. Thousand Islands, Ogdensburg or Cornwall. (oh, btw, Ogdensburg is a VERY tall metal grate bridge just so you know)...

Here is a google route if you are coming up through Buffalo. It will double your time from the border to about 7 hours, but you will avoid the Toronto area and get a few twisties in as well. The last part from Barrie to Huntsville is all boring super-slab.