CFR 2013 Official Announcement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carver and I got to have a sit on the Bridge, holding hands and kissing. There was some type of construction going on and we got a couple minutes to check things out.No traffic ahead or behind, just us two schmucks.. I didn't get any pictures but Don might have? I did get a fantastic "reach around" from Don Carver that I'll truly never forget!
Fixed, fixed good!

Haha... no, no, no. :nono: I can tell you Gina don't ride bitch, especially on any old wings. :rolleyes:

Expect to see her blackbird roll in to Ontario covered in 2 weeks of road crust. ;)
Thanks for straightening him out, Fred. That silly Mike!

But yeah, not only will I be rolling into Huntsville on the Bird, it looks like I may have a three (or more?) FJR's in tow.

I was born and raised near the Falls and know pretty much every back road and trail in the Niagara Peninsula.I can get you to Huntsville with a minimum of slab but I need to think about it a bit. The route I'm thinking about eliminates the 401.

There will be some boring bits that are unavoidable in South-West Ontario but at least you won't get ran over by a Quebec trucker hopped up on bennies on the 401.
That would be awesome Bill. I was wondering when you were going to chime in!
If you have the time to do it this route will first take you over to Victoria Park for the best view of the Horseshoe Falls (the Canadian and best part of Niagara Falls) and then runs down the Niagara Parkway to Niagara-on-the-Lake which IMHO is worth at least a quick stop if you have never been in the area. Lots of history and a somewhat trendy but nice main street to take a stroll and have some good ice cream. From there I route you along the shoreline of Lake Ontario for a short bit and then its through the vineyards and fruit orchards over to Thorold and use the Thorold Tunnel to go under the Welland Canal before heading over to Decew Falls.

I then run you through more vineyards past the well respected Henry of Pelham winery over to Balls Falls and then turn you along the brink of the Niagara escarpment over to Hamilton. From here it gets boring until you hit the Forks of the Credit which will wake you back up. I then take you over to top of Toronto just skirting the top of Newmarket before taking you up Hwy 12 just before Orillia.

I then will get you onto Mounk Rd over to Norland that has some nice sweepers before turning north on Hwy 35 all the way up to Hwy 60 and then turn you off for the final section to the resort. The route measures out to 541 km and other than the short section at Hamilton this route has no 4 lane slab.

Here is the link to the Garmin gdb file:

Niagara Falls to Huntsville
Good one, Bill, that will get folks there in a reasonable time due to the boring parts right after Hamilton. If you like, I'll add in another route later (from Hamilton) that will take you north via half-interesting back roads (I don't do slab). This would include going up to Belwood, Grand Valley, Hornings Mills and the twisty River Road, Creemore, Barrie, Hwy 11, etc...... it will definitely take you longer though.

Haha... no, no, no.
nono.gif
I can tell you Gina don't ride bitch, especially on any old wings.
rolleyes.gif

Expect to see her blackbird roll in to Ontario covered in 2 weeks of road crust.
wink.png
Thanks for straightening him out, Fred. That silly Mike!

But yeah, not only will I be rolling into Huntsville on the Bird, it looks like I may have a three (or more?) FJR's in tow.
Now guys . . . did say anything to allow an assumption about who would be sitting in front of whom?
grin.gif

Good one, Bill, that will get folks there in a reasonable time due to the boring parts right after Hamilton. If you like, I'll add in another route later (from Hamilton) that will take you north via half-interesting back roads (I don't do slab). This would include going up to Belwood, Grand Valley, Hornings Mills and the twisty River Road, Creemore, Barrie, Hwy 11, etc...... it will definitely take you longer though.
One of the biggest problems in South-West Ontario is that all the roads that run north actually go more to the north-west and add time when you are trying to go to the true Great White North. The sooner you get travelling east the better the roads get IMHO. If you look a road map of Ontario you will see what I mean. To my knowledge there are no 500 series roads in the South-West and its the 500 series roads that offer up the most fun.

Also why do all you folks mention Hwy 11?? That 4 lane slab sucks.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MEM" data-cid="1031962" data-time="1357960371"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="GinaMcD" data-cid="1031955" data-time="1357959192"><p>........ three (or more?) FJR's <em class='bbc'><strong class='bbc'>in tow.</strong></em></p></blockquote>

<br />

Ummmm.........seriously? :D </p></blockquote>

No, not really. I'll be somewhere in the back of the pack. After all, I make a much better back seat driver -- just ask my husband!

No, not really. I'll be somewhere in the back of the pack. After all, I make a much better back seat driver -- just ask my husband!
Playin' with ya, chickie. You DO rock that 'boid better than some guys ride the FJR

Just sayin'
thumbsup.gif

Fred?? Why the negativity? I realize what I am in for as I have been through the area several times, just not eventually north. I promised Janet I would take her to the falls. She has never been. I have thoroughly enjoyed them every time I have been. I will qualify that with saying that the last two were off season. Either way I would have to add a day if I was to avoid the area coming from my direction. Anyway, it will be good to see you and Josie.
I passed through the area after purchasing my new bike in SC and riding it to ON. Couldn't take the Rainbow Bridge because I had to hit the Export office at the Peace Bridge, but still took the time to ride in to see the falls. I used to live in Southern Ontario and have been to the Falls on multiple occasions, but it is always amazing!

Anyone else who might be in the area (the falls) on Thursday morning and would like to ride together let me know. It would be great to have riding companions.
I'll be staging from Oakville, ON, pretty much right on the route Bill provided (as far as I can tell without a way to read his file.) Don't know how long it would be by Bill's route's only an hour from the Falls by slab so I imagine it would only be a couple hours. We could meet for a late lunch, or after lunch, or maybe I could even ride down and meet you at the border.

...I then run you through more vineyards past the well respected Henry of Pelham winery over to Balls Falls and then turn you along the brink of the Niagara escarpment over to Hamilton. From here it gets boring until you hit the Forks of the Credit which will wake you back up. I then take you over to top of Toronto just skirting the top of Newmarket before taking you up Hwy 12 just before Orillia.

I then will get you onto Mounk Rd over to Norland that has some nice sweepers before turning north on Hwy 35 all the way up to Hwy 60 and then turn you off for the final section to the resort. The route measures out to 541 km and other than the short section at Hamilton this route has no 4 lane slab.

Here is the link to the Garmin gdb file:

Niagara Falls to Huntsville
Anyway to post a plot of this route? Or do you know of decent Freeware to plot it?

At Gravenhurst, I was looking at Southwood Road to Peninsula Road (7) through the Muskokas then East on Aspdin Rd (3) to Huntsville for a scenic detour on the way up. Whadda Ya know about these roads?

Anyone else who might be in the area (the falls) on Thursday morning and would like to ride together let me know. It would be great to have riding companions.
I'll be staging from Oakville, ON, pretty much right on the route Bill provided (as far as I can tell without a way to read his file.) Don't know how long it would be by Bill's route's only an hour from the Falls by slab so I imagine it would only be a couple hours. We could meet for a late lunch, or after lunch, or maybe I could even ride down and meet you at the border.
That would be great Jeff. I haven't absolutely finalized my plans, but it looks like we will be at the falls probably mid morning(barring any delay crossing) and want to be heading out by around lunch time. If your schedule would allow you to meet us close to noon in Niagra or close by I will plan around it.

At Gravenhurst, I was looking at Southwood Road
Southwoood is one of the twistiest roads in Ontario. Looking at the map, you'd say YEEHAW! But the map doesn't tell the whole story.

It's an old pioneer trial that's been paved. In it's narrowest spot, it's only one car width wide, and thats in a blind corner. At it's widest, it's barely two. The road *ALWAYS* has sand, and lots of it, in the corners. Last time through this past fall the township had gone through and patched some of the holes by spreading loose pavement (usually in the corners!) and leaving it for the traffic to pack it in. It was much akin to riding on ball bearings.

Throw in moderately heavy traffic 'for the road' (lots of nature walkers/leaf peepers etc) and, well, go around it. I know guys who've turn around on that road because it's no fun most of the time.

Steve is very correct about the sand and patch work on that road (southwood). It is two lanes but not much more. I have rode it several times and it amazes me why it wanders through the woods like it does. But then the rest of what Jeff talks about (7) through Bala and (3) roads are nice. Just watch for bear, moose and deer.

Whatever you do.. Watch out for the Turtle Crossings!!! There are a bunch in the area IIRC..

Last edited by a moderator:
We're on the list now... Yipee ! It took me a while to convince a newbie that you really meet the most interesting folks at a CFR rally.

After re-reading the last dozen pages or so, I've decided not to show her certain excerpt's !

Would you belief that I even got her to sign up for the MC training course in the spring.

You guys might have changed another cager into a convert.

Thanks a lot.

Now if I can only get her to remember which model we ride..... Anyone .... F###ing Joyful Ride