Changing grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea on the old tube part. I'd have not thought of that, but yea, if it's going in the garbage, why not?

OK this is driving me nuts. Here are Pics, of Symtec grip heaters installed on bike,know problems there. You would think all I have to do is wire up the two freaking wires off the bike to the symtec grips, and not use the third red ground wire on the symtec?.

So I tryed following dbx instruction, the right side got nice and toasty, but I'm not getting any heat off the left side + I have gone through about 6 15amp fuses trying differentnt combinations.

left side. red is ground on symtec heater

SDC14735.jpg

Right side.

SDC14734.jpg

righr side.

SDC14733.jpg

Once I can get this figured out, I will solder the wire and use some shrink tubing.

I do belive this is a great solution, I'm just electrically impaired.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK this is driving me nuts. Here are Pics, of Symtec grip heaters installed on bike,know problems there. You would think all I have to do is wire up the two freaking wires off the bike to the symtec grips, and not use the third red ground wire on the symtec?.

So I tryed following dbx instruction, the right side got nice and toasty, but I'm not getting any heat off the left side + I have gone through about 6 15amp fuses trying differentnt combinations.

left side. red is ground on symtec heater

SDC14735.jpg

Right side.

SDC14734.jpg

righr side.

SDC14733.jpg

Once I can get this figured out, I will solder the wire and use some shrink tubing.

I do belive this is a great solution, I'm just electrically impaired.

It looks like my right Symtec grip heater is shorting out on the metal throttle tube some how, so I have pulled it off and know more blowing fuses. Maybe I can return it.

So now I still have no power on the left side, I'm getting over 12v on the Right. I went as far as to unplug it from the main harness, but still know power.

I did see over 12v on the left before, so what would be my problem. Anyone have any ideas?

So now I still have no power on the left side, I'm getting over 12v on the Right. I went as far as to unplug it from the main harness, but still know power.

I did see over 12v on the left before, so what would be my problem. Anyone have any ideas?
If you do it like I did, the same two wires (from the bike's wiring harness) that supply power to the right side will be used to supply power to the left side. The two sides will be connected in parallel. That's important because connecting the two sides in series will result in a total resistance that's too high to generate full heat.

Regarding the shorted left heating element, I think you can probably work around it by slipping a 4" section of heat shrink tubing over the bar and shrinking it down, then applying the heating element over the shrink tubing. Finally, slip the grip over the heating element once you've got everything working.

Latest posts