Chimpanzee attack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scab

I got nothin' here...
Reaction score
Does anyone have more details about this? I'm hearing about this from co-workers and such. I've not seen any of the coverage.

My understanding is that the victim has lost digits on her hands, her nose, her eyes, and her complete jaw.

Chimpanzee Attack

Last edited by a moderator:
Chimpanzee...

Pitbull...

:unsure:

Adult chimps are strong!

Baby chimps are cute that grow in to strong adult chimps.

I don't think people take that into account when they get a 'pet.'

According to what I have just read the Chimp was sick to start with. The owner gave it Xanax, which in Humans can cause violent episodes for people who were off balance to begin with.

Ripped that poor lady's face off.

Chimps can be downright dangerous. There was an attack in March 2005 some miles east of Bakersfield, California in which a pair of chimps attacked a man and his wife at a facility for primates where their chimp "Moe" was being housed. They were celebrating Moe's birthday, a couple other chimps got out, were apparently jealous of Moe getting cake and attention and attacked suddenly. Husband was a big guy and took the brunt of the attack, while wife had her thumb bitten off. He nearly died -- lost his fingers, had his face pretty much ripped off, a foot mangled, testicles ripped off, and more.

EDIT: the above is what was in several different news accounts. A seemingly bettter and more complete account is now at

https://www.esquire.com/features/chimpanzee...0409-3?src=digg

Chimps are supposed to be something like 3 to 5 times stronger than humans, particularly in their upper bodies. You take a gun to a fight with a chimp. Large caliber and use hollow points. Just sayin'.

Live with wild animals, take your chances. I love my dogs and cat, but I'm also equipped and ready to kill them at a moment's notice. I don't trust anything with its own mind.

I don't even like horses, except the ones represented in my vehicle motors. My FJR will never attack me of its own volition.

There's another reason to list on the CCW permit application- My neighbor has a monkey....

This may sound cold, but considering human frailty, are they doing this poor woman a favor by saving her? I'm not sure I'd want to come back from that.

This may sound cold, but considering human frailty, are they doing this poor woman a favor by saving her? I'm not sure I'd want to come back from that.
facial injuries like that? I am with you.

My ex husband suffered a head injury the 1st year we were married. He was in a rehab center chock full of people who survived trying to take their lives with a firearm. Most missing large portions of the face, no lower jaw's, no eyes etc. They were not happy people to start with, but even less so living with massive disfigurement.

But aside from that, seriously....a 200 lb monkey? WTF is up with that? I can see having a cute little monkey, but one bigger than my teenager? and 5 times as strong? Some people....*walks away shakin mah head*

Reminds me of a TV special where a group of chimps attacked a smaller monkey - they tore him to shreds but didn't eat him. Apparently chimps are one of the few animals that kill for reasons other than food, maybe the only ones besides humans?

Some years back, had a cat named Joe. Big friendly as all get out male. Had had him for several years-we knew each other perfectly. Was moving, Joe was last to leave. I was carrying him out to the car. A collie came around the garage just as I got to the alley-and Joe went absolutely apeshit. I tried to throw him off me, he was a blur trying to get away. I went to the hospital with a bitten ear, several claws embedded in my head, a large cut just over my eye, 2 fingers bitten through-completely through. This from a 21lb kitty. You cannot imagine the power in something built to kill until it goes all Terminator on your ass-you'll never forget it.

Some years back, had a cat named Joe. Big friendly as all get out male. Had had him for several years-we knew each other perfectly. Was moving, Joe was last to leave. I was carrying him out to the car. A collie came around the garage just as I got to the alley-and Joe went absolutely apeshit. I tried to throw him off me, he was a blur trying to get away. I went to the hospital with a bitten ear, several claws embedded in my head, a large cut just over my eye, 2 fingers bitten through-completely through. This from a 21lb kitty. You cannot imagine the power in something built to kill until it goes all Terminator on your ass-you'll never forget it.
I work for 3 vets, I would pick wrastling a 110lb Rottweiler over ANY sized cat, any day of the week.

so... where is jane goodall when you need her?

she'd probably scoff at keeping and medicating a full grown chimp.

besides - consider the chimp's persepctive: captive, medicated, probably lonely for mrs. chimp and perhaps threatened by the distraction of attention from its source for food and most of all - really upset about the ignition switch recall.

Chimps can be downright dangerous. There was an attack in March 2005 some miles east of Bakersfield, California in which a pair of chimps attacked a man and his wife at a facility for primates where their chimp "Moe" was being housed. They were celebrating Moe's birthday, a couple other chimps got out, were apparently jealous of Moe getting cake and attention and attacked suddenly. Husband was a big guy and took the brunt of the attack, while wife had her thumb bitten off. He nearly died -- lost his fingers, had his face pretty much ripped off, a foot mangled, testicles ripped off, and more.
EDIT: the above is what was in several different news accounts. A seemingly bettter and more complete account is now at

Chimps are supposed to be something like 3 to 5 times stronger than humans, particularly in their upper bodies. You take a gun to a fight with a chimp. Large caliber and use hollow points. Just sayin'.
So.... IF Moe's still alive, I really hope that some poor, unsuspecting camper, picnic-er, or... cyclist - motor or pedal - doesn't find out about it the HARD way!

So.... IF Moe's still alive, I really hope that some poor, unsuspecting camper, picnic-er, or... cyclist - motor or pedal - doesn't find out about it the HARD way!
Yeah, but to be clear: in that tragic story, Moe was not the attacker. He was in his cage, having finished his piece of birthday cake and witnessed the other 2 chimps attack his owners.

I travel a lot for work and it's pretty common in some countries to be offered these cute little monkey babies on the sidewalk. It's really easy to see how people can fool themselves into thinking they can domesticate them. Yeah. Riiiiight.

A couple of years ago did a job in Cameroon & we visited the Limbe Wildlife Center. There were these infant chimps: Clicky & see 3/4 down page about chimp infants

It turns out that the taxi drivers will carry a fare into the back country, where people are dirt poor & to pay for the trip back the cabbies buy the infants for a buck or two. Back in town they sell them to the street vendors. They chimps at the Centre had been confiscated or abandoned. One had been in a burlap sack in the trunk of a cab when the cabbie got a fare. He threw suitcases on top of the sack and broke the spine of the chimp. The chimp has a heavy limp but somehow survived.

There are a whole lotta people not facing reality in this story and the critters get the short end of the stick.

Now as for the horsies in my FJR, they got fed today and are really happy!!! ;) [FJR-related content.]

Yeah, but to be clear: in that tragic story, Moe was not the attacker. He was in his cage, having finished his piece of birthday cake and witnessed the other 2 chimps attack his owners.
Understood. But he would certainly not be in the best mental state after what he's been through prior to and during his escape, let alone what may have happened since then. Even if he was just happy to see you, well, a Chimpanzee hug would probably not buff out....