Considering another FJR but have some questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
First off I have owned a 07 AE model back in 07 and enjoyed the bike but wanted to get into the Adventure Riding club and sold it and bought a 08 BMW GSA. Absolutely loved the GSA but to big for the dirt. Sold that and bought an 04 KTM 950 "S" GO!!!!!! bike and really enjoy it but truth be told I ride 95% street and it's not a great ride in the street. After I ride about 200 miles of slab I feel like I got hit by a Mack truck. I also do some Pro Cycling moto support events and the KTM sucks for riding slow for long periods and going over mountain passes at 10k she doesn't do real well at slower speeds with the carburation. I would say that 90% of the bikes at these events are BMW's and the guys really like them but my biggest problem with the BMW's is the dealer network and prices for service and parts. If those were in line with Yamaha I would probably buy an RT. My budget is gonna be around $9k.

Here are a few of my questions.

Since I haven't owned an FJR since 07 has there been any updates to the Gen 2 since 07? Is there a Gen3?

I don't remember my FJR real well but I do remember I had a problem with my hands going numb on the bars and that it seemed like a common issue. Is it still? is there a fix for it.

I am 6'4 250lbs without gear so what kind of upgrades would I need to have done to make it fit me better?

FJR is at the top of my list right now. I may also consider a C14. Never ridden one so not sure on Ergos for me but would like to try one.

Also I don't remember but do the FJR's have electric windshields?

You had an '07 and are asking some of these questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I haven't owned an FJR since 07 has there been any updates to the Gen 2 since 07?

Really? You owned an FJR and don't remember if they have an electric windshield?
fool.gif

Ummm...I'm sure some others will be along rapidly to service your whims. I'll just leave it at suggesting you look around a little on the forum as ALL your questions have been answered time after time after time after time after time.....

Or that you shouldn't buy another FJR and should get another motorcycle. It sucks worse now than it ever did....especially since it's Friday. ;)

Since I haven't owned an FJR since 07 has there been any updates to the Gen 2 since 07?First off I have owned a 07 AE model back in 07 and enjoyed the bike but wanted to get into the Adventure Riding club and sold it and bought a 08 BMW GSA. Absolutely loved the GSA but to big for the dirt. Sold that and bought an 04 KTM 950 "S" GO!!!!!! bike and really enjoy it but truth be told I ride 95% street and it's not a great ride in the street. After I ride about 200 miles of slab I feel like I got hit by a Mack truck. I also do some Pro Cycling moto support events and the KTM sucks for riding slow for long periods and going over mountain passes at 10k she doesn't do real well at slower speeds with the carburation. I would say that 90% of the bikes at these events are BMW's and the guys really like them but my biggest problem with the BMW's is the dealer network and prices for service and parts. If those were in line with Yamaha I would probably buy an RT. My budget is gonna be around $9k.
Here are a few of my questions.

Since I haven't owned an FJR since 07 has there been any updates to the Gen 2 since 07? Is there a Gen3?

I don't remember my FJR real well but I do remember I had a problem with my hands going numb on the bars and that it seemed like a common issue. Is it still? is there a fix for it.

I am 6'4 250lbs without gear so what kind of upgrades would I need to have done to make it fit me better?

FJR is at the top of my list right now. I may also consider a C14. Never ridden one so not sure on Ergos for me but would like to try one.

Updates since '07? Yes

Gen3? Yes

Hand numbness? Yes

Is there a fix for it? Yes

What to do to make it fit better? Sit on and ride one first.

Electric windshield? No. It is plexiglass like most motorcyle windshields nowadays.

Yes, the windshield moves up AND down.

No, the bike has never numbed my hands because I wear gloves and don't grip like Death

You should test ride one first, it seems you have forgotten a lot about this bike...and dogpile Fridays.

Really? How does shit like this happen? And on a Friday too!

IF you are for real and IF you really want to know about the FJR, I am guessing that you did not read one single post or thread before you posted this bull-shit thread. All the answers to all of your questions are here or somewhere on the 'net.

I cannot imagine not remembering anything about your '07. If it was so insignificant that you cannot even remember the windshield adjustment, why would you even consider buying another? I can recall the most minute details about every bike I ever had the priviledge of sitting on. Not just the ones I owned, all of the bikes I ever sat on. I cannot fathom such a cavalier attitude toward a Vespa Scooter much less a top of the line Sport Tourer.

If you are for real, you definitely need some help. I am just not sure we can provide what you need.

Now, now... I remember this member, and he wasn't a bad sort of guy.

He's been away. He's drunk the koolaide (and lived to tell about it).

Why do any of you think that he would he recall if the windscreen went up and down?

But he was an AE owners, which always casts suspicion...

I guess my primary confusion with the OP is why it would matter that the BMW GSA is a bit porky for off-road riding when you simultaneously claim in the same post to riding mostly on tarmac (like the vast majority of other GSA riders). You do know that the GSA is lighter than an FJR by nearly 100 lbs, right?

Dealer network and service rates only matters to the limp wristed fat walleted k.a. drinkers that can't figure out how to do their own service. I know first hand that a BMW is no more difficult to service than any other brand of motorcycle. So suck it up, invest in a manual, figure out how to do it yourself, and get some grease under your fingernails, or else just get used to bending over. The Yamaha shops are taking tips on fiduciary rape and pillage from those Beemer shops anyway. They were just a bit ahead of the curve, being crafty Bavarians.

But I must now present you with the disclaimer that I am well known by "nice guys" about here to be irresponsible and disseminate bullshit. Let your better judgement be your guide. Your mileage will (undoubtedly) vary, and always take solace that the price of tea in China is almost always very attractive.

That's a bunch of irresponsible bullcheet Fred. I'm all for the fireman, but that was the weirdest post I've seen by someone interested in an FJR, let alone a former owner.

Is meth an epidemic out in LA? I hear it does bad cheet...

Mahck (that's how we say your name here in New England),

I think perhaps you missed how firmly my tongue was inserted in my cheek...

(NEPRT threads are good fun on Friday afternoons, aren't they)

And it's 2013, Mahck. It's OK to say shit now.

I'll reply to your one question regarding hand numbness on a FJR. Google "Grip Puppies" and order a pair of these if you are worried about hand numbing.I was told about them from a guy I met who had them on his bike and he loved them. I went out and bought a pair of them (they r very inexpensive approx.$ 10-$20) and they are basically neoprene type of wraps that you can slide over your handlebar ends and they are sponge-like and remove 90%+ of any and all vibration from bike and if you do have a death grip on your handlebars when u ride they will also come in handy.The best way to put them on is with the assistance of a compressor and hose which will make them much easier to get on over your existing grips.Make sure u order the right diameter for your specific bike that u want them for.

Cheers

Charlie 28

Wow! You guys are brutal. Maybe he suffers from a medical condition.

As noted at the link, there are many possible reasons behind the condition.

Medications: Clealy someone buying a BMW has to be highly medicated.

Alcohol, tobacco, or drug use: The dealer network and how they treat paying customers would cause people to turn to these to releave stress.

Sleep deprivation: The required 2nd and 3rd jobs needed to pay for the upkeep would leave less time for needed sleep.

Depression and stress: See above for stress. Depression could set in after realizing that P.T. Banum was right.

Nutritional deficiency: A diet of sausages and kraut can't be all good.

Head injury: Secret cameras caught this example (3:59 - 4:15) of a typical customer being greeted at a typical BMW dealership.

Stroke: This is less likely until he got the bill for his first major milestone service.

Dementia: This would seem highly likely given the purchase choice and the Dogpile Friday posting of this thread.

:::from near the top of the dogpile:::

Aw, c'mon, guys. Give the troll a break!

From his "confessions", it would seem that he is actually attempting to get a grip on his "Impulsivity & Imagination Disorder"**: he's actually asking questions before making a purchase. Granted, most of those questions are rather elementary and could be answered by... A salesman!

A salesman will tell him exactly what he wants to hear and, shocking surprise, sell him exactly what he "needs": something shiny, new, and expensive. Salesmen understand that the true message of the story of Goldilocks is that, eventually, the little girl will get tired of shopping and imagine that "this" one is "just right". Sign here.

To the OP - dood! There are lots of bikes out there that will meet your needs. You've owned (at least) three of them. It sounds like you have already come to grips with the fact that you are a large person who wouldn't fit well on a sport bike. It also sounds like you aren't afraid to spend money, and thought that little plastic cards are a substitute for patience and research.

Try something different: buy two bikes, one mostly for the pavement and one mostly for 'adventure' riding. Buy a trainer (or toy hauler) to pull behind your latest-in-a-series-of-trucks.

Sound expensive? You can always buy "previously owned" stuff, from fellow I. I. D. victims. Not quite as fun as being stroked by a salesman in a well-lit showroom full of pretty new virgin bikes, but you can fill your garage at a fraction of the price.

Or you can accept that "Nobody's perfect, not even a perfect stranger", wait a few weeks while you test ride a couple bikes and research aftermarket "comfort" farkles. Pick the one that meets the most of your needs, add bar risers, seat, windshield....

Enjoy.

**I.I.D. - Another manifestation of this sad disorder is the guy who met his "hot" girlfriend at a bar, and is later surprised that she can't cook, but drinks like a fish. He meets his next girlfriend at the supermarket. She can cook up a storm, but tends to gain weight and isn't interested in outdoor activities. Meets the next one at the gym. She's active, cooks healthy food, and doesn't want him to drink or enjoy a large meal. Finally, he joins his buddies at Hooters... And the cycle repeats itself.

Mahck (that's how we say your name here in New England),
I think perhaps you missed how firmly my tongue was inserted in my cheek...

(NEPRT threads are good fun on Friday afternoons, aren't they)

And it's 2013, Mahck. It's OK to say shit now.
Fred, I think you missed how firmly MY tongue was in your cheek.

...and I fucking hate people that swear their ass off.

It's a personal thing. :D

After a reposting of this question a week later, I am very concerned that the OP has a serious memory loss issue: Forgot what an FJR does, forgot what the Bin O Facts is, forgot that they posted the same question one week prior...

....I'm beginning to think that this guy has to be as old as many of the other old farts I see at the FJR gatherings!
fool.gif
uhoh.gif