Contemplating a Fat Bob. Am I crazy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you have owned cruiser style motorcycles, you are undoubtedly aware of the differences in riding that style of bike. I can get over the lean angle issue and the fork rake/trail differences. Just slow your roll down and enjoy that kind of ride.

What I have a hard time accepting is the fact that the forward foot controls will never allow you to lift your butt off the seat in the event of an emergency (something appears or was not planned for in the road directly in front of you). If it is big enough (or deep enough .... er.... potholes), then it will buck you off.

My neighbor bought an early Fat bob some time ago. It had mid foot controls and I actually enjoyed riding that bike very much. My only real complaint for that bike was the vibration in the motor, which as we all know, comes with the H/D territory. Plenty of power, silky smooth tranny, great brakes, and quite frankly, sounds bad ass.

One day after pulling out of the gas station, he slid on some gravel, low speed low sided the bike, the overfill tube poured gas on the motor, and the bike burned to a crisp right there in the middle of the road. And that was the end of that.

But to your specific question, you are absolutely not crazy. This is why they make all kinds. I'm WAY past that Poser bullshit. I don't care what you ride. If you like it, and you won't try to kill me when we ride together, I say let's go!! But if your pipes are too loud, you gotta get in the back. Fair is fair.

Good luck, man.

Am I out of my head? Torque looks to be about 92 lbs on the 96 C.I. motor. HP I'm sure is much less than the FJR.

I think you'll have some fun, and it will be a good learning experience.

One thing about the torque is that it's not just the peak torque, it's where the torque appears.

Maybe someone else addressed this.

I love the fact that the FJR torque comes in early and stays late. My experience with American V-Twins is that they run outta juice at relatively low rpms and require a lot more shifting than the FJR (or the Rocket). They're strong off idle and pull pretty good to their redline ... but their red line is disappointingly low.

Nevertheless, I do think you can get used to this. You may be disappointed for a week, and then happy until you return to the FJR and rediscover that there's more.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not Friday but here goes.

In the USA if you want to thump "hot" girls, get a shiny, vibrating Harley. "Hot" girls like glittery, pretty looking things. They can even fixate on their own reflection and touch up their makeup and fix any do-rag hair, on that mirror like chrome everywhere. Plus, those vibrations, right where it counts - helps get them started in the right direction, they already have their legs around your butt anyway, you just have to turn around.
rolleyes.gif

You see more "hot" girls riding pillion on Harleys than Sport or Touring Bikes. Those Harley pillions maybe mostly dumb as rocks, but they are "hot".
fool.gif

Not for me though.
no.gif
I like my girls a little (or a lot) smarter than that.
flirt.gif

I had a riding buddy (Greb on here--moved away
sadsmiley.gif
) that is one really good rider, had his FJR and went through a bunch of other bikes before and after getting the FJR. He started on a sport bikes then went way into the HD scene. Then some other bikes, including a sweet KTM Duke he let me ride one day.

He got a Road Star Warrior, he told me he just loved that bike for riding around town. Said it blew away any HD he'd had or ridden, and by his seat of the pants that it got out of the hole quicker than the FJR.... just another option to consider.

https://www.rswarrior.com/

You have one bike, why not get a second one? Or a third? FJRs are fun. So are Groms. But they're a different fun each in their own way. If you don't like it you can always sell it. Its not like you're stuck with it until death do you part!

It's not Friday but here goes.
In the USA if you want to thump "hot" girls, get a shiny, vibrating Harley. "Hot" girls like glittery, pretty looking things. They can even fixate on their own reflection and touch up their makeup and fix any do-rag hair, on that mirror like chrome everywhere. Plus, those vibrations, right where it counts - helps get them started in the right direction, they already have their legs around your butt anyway, you just have to turn around.
rolleyes.gif

You see more "hot" girls riding pillion on Harleys than Sport or Touring Bikes. Those Harley pillions maybe mostly dumb as rocks, but they are "hot".
fool.gif

Not for me though.
no.gif
I like my girls a little (or a lot) smarter than that.
flirt.gif

I like girls with teeth..

You may or may not be crazy regardless of what you do about the Harley.
smile.png

Personally, I have ridden a few cruisers including HDs, but never a Fat Bob. None of them are comfortable for me and I could not live with the limited cornering clearance. But that's just me. If you like the Fat Bob and you have tested ridden it to your satisfaction then you should have one.
punk.gif

I have the FJR as my primary bike. I kept my cruiser to have a second bike. I am glad I kept it. It does serve a purpose.

About 90% of the time I would rather be on the FJR, but certain rides are just made for a cruiser. I live in SE Florida. I nice slow ride down the beach is much more suited to a cruiser then an FJR.

It's nice to have a second bike. I just plan my maintenance to keep one bike ready to ride at all times. Usually both bikes are ready to go.

I have an extra bike if an experienced rider is without bike at the moment. My son doesn't have a bike right now. So it's nice to let him borrow my second bike and ride. It's nice know there is a spare bike for me or a riding partner.

One note of caution. When you get off the FJR, get into cruiser mode. I come very close to over cooking a few corners when getting on the cruiser. Then I calm down and get in the right mode.

One thing that might be a factor is whether you take a pillion. My wife was all about the sporty, sexy FJR and wanted nothing to do with the clunky R3T ... until I took her for a real ride on a backrestless FJR. After that, she always chooses the security of the large, comfy, backrest equipped R3T. I had planned to stop having an R3T in my pack, but the wife likes it best, and since I like it better than other cruisers, I keep one handy.

I did that ... bought a Fatboy, that is.

Not sure why. It mostly just sat in the garage.

Sometimes I rode it downtown and looked at my reflection in glass towers. I was cool.

I sold it.

2015 FJR1300A rider. My previous bikes in order from most recent to earliest were 2008 FJR, 2015 FJ-09, 2002 Fz1, 2005 Fz1, 2002 Honda Shadow 750, Gxsr 600,....and so it goes, mostly Japanese sports or nakeds, with an '83 Shadow 500 in the mix.
I had the 2002 Shadow when I moved into the 2005 FZ1, and didn't miss it at all when I sold it. Something about a blacked out 2008 Fat Bob with Vance & Hines Big Radius pipes has me itching right now.

Am I out of my head? Torque looks to be about 92 lbs on the 96 C.I. motor. HP I'm sure is much less than the FJR. All in all, they aren't similar bikes and they aren't meant to be.

Does anyone think the Harley will just sit? In a perfect world I'd own one of everything. But the world ain't perfect.
smile.png

School me.
I try to be a live and let live kinda guy. But of all the things that someone can do to try and irritate me, there's nothing quite like sitting on a nice little patio on a Saturday or Sunday morning drinking a Peet's coffee, then having the calm shattered by two or three dipsh**s on their Harleys with sawed off pipes back into a spot 3 feet away, blipping their throttles the whole way. At that particular moment I'd wish a fu****n steamroller would come by and turn them into stew of petroleum products and aluminum foil. And unfortunately it happens all the time....

But by all means buy a Fat Bob
punk.gif

Why do you need or want a Fat Battery (and gas operated) Operated Boyfriend anyway?

HarleyFags.jpg

Awesome bunch of responses. Thanks!

I think I'd enjoy it. And then I'd get on my FJR and enjoy it even more than I do now. I remember having a different appreciation for my FJR when I was back and forth between the FJ-09 and the FJR.

We'll see. :)

I recall when riding a HD Fat Bob during a demo days ride at a local dealer that the slotted exhaust heat shield on the exhaust was more style than function, right leg was hot unless going over 45 mph.

Other than that, they seem like a decent ride for what they are.

Picked up a '16 FJ-09 recently so we'll see if it or the FJR gets more seat time.

I recall when riding a HD Fat Bob during a demo days ride at a local dealer that the slotted exhaust heat shield on the exhaust was more style than function, right leg was hot unless going over 45 mph.
Other than that, they seem like a decent ride for what they are.

Picked up a '16 FJ-09 recently so we'll see if it or the FJR gets more seat time.
I think it was nearly 50/50 for me when I had both. Maybe a slight edge towards the FJR, since I already had put 9500 miles on the FJ09 and the FJR was new to me. But, I sold that FJR and shortly thereafter traded the FJ09 for the new FJR. Anyhow, I still think the proper solution is "both." I've come close to picking up a used FJ09.

So, I did it! Got a sweeeeeet deal on a high mileage '09! The guy took care of this thing like he was an aircraft mechanic. All wear parts (chain tensioners, seals, etc.) recently replaced. Decent tires. Some cool clip-on/clip-off bags and sissy bar. Cover. Vance and Hines exhausts. Dyno'd. High performance cams. The guy had receipts for more performance items than I understood what they were.

So stoked! This thing pulls HARD from a stop light, and there's lots of torque even in 5th or 6th at freeway speeds. No intention to get rid of the FJR, but I don't think there's any question this thing will see some use.
grin.gif

250l3d2.jpg