Coveralls / Dickeys / Carhart

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonroe

Reaction score
To All,

I was buying some Carhart work pants and was shopping around looking at coats and whatnot when I noticed something that looked very interesting. Dickey has these black coveralls that have double canvas all over them, lots of insulation, one piece, etc. I tried some on and found a set that fit me well while still allowing room for my my street clothes and whatnot.

To make a long story short, I gave them a try on my ride in to work today. Temps were 36F and the Dickeys (in black) performed well. I got to work, zipped out of them and things were business as usual.

I have always thought that a one-piece Aerostitch would be wonderful and I am sure that they are, however, the $59 price of the Dickeys had me thinking that I at least needed to give them a try. I can always use them from riding ATV's, camping, cutting firewood and whatnot - but - they seem to work pretty good on the bike as well and with them being black, the look doesnt seem too out of place.

Anybody have any thoughts on these? Am I looking like a total redneck with these one?

:D

Mark

Stiches are overrated with the armor anyway. I mean...who needs it? Chances are good that having an extra layer of cloth or two is going to protect you from road rash and kinda like armor........NOT!

I'll assume you're wearing some sort of armor underneath these things.....

Last edited by a moderator:
To All,
I was buying some Carhart work pants and was shopping around looking at coats and whatnot when I noticed something that looked very interesting. Dickey has these black coveralls that have double canvas all over them, lots of insulation, one piece, etc. I tried some on and found a set that fit me well while still allowing room for my my street clothes and whatnot.

To make a long story short, I gave them a try on my ride in to work today. Temps were 36F and the Dickeys (in black) performed well. I got to work, zipped out of them and things were business as usual.

I have always thought that a one-piece Aerostitch would be wonderful and I am sure that they are, however, the $59 price of the Dickeys had me thinking that I at least needed to give them a try. I can always use them from riding ATV's, camping, cutting firewood and whatnot - but - they seem to work pretty good on the bike as well and with them being black, the look doesnt seem too out of place.

Anybody have any thoughts on these? Am I looking like a total redneck with these one?

:D

Mark

Not at all. I have the same set of coveralls. They work great. I wear my Yamaha armored mesh jacket under it for road rash protection.

:lol:

Just bought my first set of coveralls this weekend for working around the farm. While they are warm, and the canvas is pretty thick, they are NOTHING compared to my Aerostich. If you like the idea of a one piece suit for riding, I would encourage you to start saving and get the real thing. The coveralls are just that, not safety gear.

I have found that heavy, well-made coveralls work extremely well as a riding suit. They'll stop cold air better than a lot of cheap leathers, and they'll handle a slide decently - better than some textile riding suits. If it's really cold, they work great over a leather riding suit.

I use a two-piece set of armored racing leathers currently, but I've used insulated coveralls as a riding suit, before. There are times I've gone out in some serious cold, and borrowed my oldest son's coveralls, to wear over my leathers.

If you get a set that are colored black, you won't look like a redneck. If you end up with a set of duck brown, you'll stay warm, and you won't feel like a redneck.

One tip - make sure the coveralls are large enough to be comfortable while sitting on your bike.

When I was younger, and foolish enough to ride in sub-freezing temps, I used to have two surplus sets of these:

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BJR912-19293-623.html

They stop freezing air/rain/snow/, butt cold. Be useless in a slide, but I wish I still had mine. Best rain suit I ever had.

While multible layers of anything are better than nothing, I don't want to go sliding down the road with no more than you're talking about. I've been there, done that and it is absolutely no fun.

You're all a bunch of rednecks.... :ranting2: hasn't the Harley crowd taught you anything :headbonk: ??

You got to at least spend $1000.00 worth of clothing accessories so your "statement" can be made whether you wear them or not.

YOU'RE A MOTORCYCLIST ! , NOT SOME BACK WOODS HICK WHO USES THE SAME COVERALLS TO SLOP HOGS IN.....GOOOD GRIEF..

:p

Add me to the list of rednecks.I've been wearing a black Carhart jacket and insulated bibs for the last five winters.I had a velcro strap sewn on the bottom of the pants so I can fold them over to prevent air coming up the leg.Comfy down to the low twenties with windstopper fleece underneath.

One of my favorite things about cold weather riding is waving at the guys in the pick ups with those big Harley Davidson stickers in the back window. :)

I just bought a new Fieldsheer HighLand jacket. I also have a pair of Carhart black bibs that I will wear with the new jacket and 99.9% will never know the difference. I plan to pick up a pair of over pants at some point for rain situations.

khrome

I too am a redneck, but I bought an Olympia yellow suit now I look like a fat redneck in a banana suit. Just keep the dark visor on a full face helmet and they can't tell who you are - it won't matter.

If wearing insulated Carhartts while riding a motorcycle makes me a redneck, I guess I'm a redneck. But I never heard Jeff put it that way in his definitions of who is a 'redneck'. Wear whatever you want.

If wearing insulated Carhartts while riding a motorcycle makes me a redneck, I guess I'm a redneck. But I never heard Jeff put it that way in his definitions of who is a 'redneck'. Wear what ever you want.
Hmmmm.... Let this Redneck Jeff try to fill in for Foxworthy:

"You're a redneck if, you wear insulated Carharts while riding a motorcycle with the insulation on the OUTSIDE!"

Not everyone can pull off the look like this man, but many have tried. May he rest in peace.

JRSamples.jpg