Covered Bridges of Southern NH 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I have a hockey-free weekend October 1st . . . . the following week I'm off to Toronto with my son . . . I've got to finally make the covered bridge ride this year . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sure, 2x country trips in 2 months? You're killing me Fred.. :p
Yabbut, what a great way to go!! :p
When do we tell him about the Chowda ride along the coast of NH and ME? The coastal route shows an entirely different topography and beauty of New England. Four days where both the food and the ride share the starring role.
As if I *need* more food? I gained 12 unwanted pounds on this trip! ;)

We have to be careful about metering out the propaganda in small doses, otherwise he'll want to move out here!! :eek:

What? ...and move away from his palace out west?

2011MAYKALITRIP023.jpg
Wheatie, I know EXACTLY where this is! :p

Since you have been there, it's re-opened as a Whiskey / Steak House

(que Doors song 'Whiskey Bar' now.. :D

What? ...and move away from his palace out west?

At least he can ride year-round :blink:
YES I can! And we don't call a bikes age by 'seasons' either!
I dream of my retirement years.. cause if so, I would be there.

Another update to Post #1-

Added Sunday's route files and map.

Also added a disclosure that there will be some (limited amount) of dirt roads on the routes.

Assuming that the CB ride goes off as planned on Saturday, the plan for Sunday's bonus ride will be to gather at Fiddleheads Cafe in Hancock again. From there we'll ride up to Mt Kearsarge, and take a few interesting side roads in Henniker (the only Henniker on earth, so they claim) along the rapids of the Contoocook river and up and down a few interesting steep (paved) hills. There is a park fee at Kearsarge (Rollins State Park) of $4 per person to allow us up the 3 1/2 mile goqat trail of an auto road (also paved). When we reach the upper parking lot, there is a 1/2 mile trail to the bald summit, complete with a fire tower and 360 degree panoramic views. You'll want to bring appropriate clothes (especially shoes) to make that climb.

After the climb, we'll ride back down and loop around the east and north side of the mountain through Salisbury, Andover and Wilmot, take a loop around Pleasant lake (because it's so pleasant) and stop for a nice lunch at the Flying Goose Brewpub Restaurant in New London.

After lunch we'll head south past Sunapee, then take some back roads to skirt the small city of Newport, then ride one of our favorite country roads (Rte 123) from Marlow down through Stoddard and back to Hancock. For those who may want to head home right after lunch we will not be too far from I-89 in New London then.

For anyone looking for overnight accommodations, forget about the links that I provided in post#1. Keene State University is having their Fall Parents Visit weekend, which is a really big hoopty-doo. They have every hotel, motel and empty cardboard box booked up for that weekend a year in advance.

Instead, I am going to recommend that you look for a room in the Manchester (aka ManchVegas) area. There are a good number of rooms in the area as we have the only real airport in the 3 Northern New England states here. I just did a quick check on Hotels.com and it looks like there are available room in a lot of places. Living in the area I don't tend to stay in Motels that often here, at least none that my wife knows about... ;) But we have put some people up before at the Best Western Executive Court Inn. The rooms were nice and on Hotels.com they list availability at <$100. There is a lso a decent restaurant right across the parking lot (The Yard) with a bar, if that is appealing to anyone.

If someone books a room somewhere, especially if you get a great deal, let the others know where here on this thread so you can all try to stay in the same place.

We'll group up in the morning somewhere in Manchester (maybe at your hotel) to ride over to the start of the route(s) in Hancock.

Fred,

I'm trying to load the Google Map you provided into Tyre and it's not computing . . . any thoughts on something I may be doing wrong . . . al lthe NERDS maps worked great.

Fred,

I'm trying to load the Google Map you provided into Tyre and it's not computing . . . any thoughts on something I may be doing wrong . . . al lthe NERDS maps worked great.
Those aren't direct google maps. They are created by GPS Visualizer.com. I didn't make the routes up in google like I did for NERDS because I figured nobody would want the turn by turn paper directions.

Try downloading the GPX file and then import that into TYRE. That should work OK. When I get back from EOM I could try doing the map in GoogleMaps if that is really needed.

If all goes accordingly, will be looking forward to joining you all. Don't have a lot of experience booking hotels but after spending some time looking around, ended up going with Courtyard by Marriott, Manchester (603-641-4900). (Fred's suggestion of Best Western was booked.) Rm. was $104 ($5 more if you want the breakfast package) with 24 hour cancellation. Got no problem switching to someplace else if anyone finds something better.

Glad you guys are planning on riding up see you then! Have not checked on any booking so not sure what else might be open Has anyone checked Jack Daniels Motor Inn yet?

Peterborough area

If the weather holds up, I'll be camping at Greenfield S.P. you know, under the yellow tarp!!! :lol:

POOP! I'm out for this one for a variety of reasons . . . Friday (my big travel day) will be in wind driven rain . . . Saturday looks so-so depending on who or which service you believe . . . work is crazy busy (but that's kind of par for me) . . . maybe next year . . . again.

Good news is I will be riding Route 6 in Northwest Pennsylvania in late October early November as a "replacement" . . . maybe I'll get to try out my new heated Warm & Safe gear

This is a tough one...

Current weather prognostications are showing a 30-40% chance of rain showers on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

As was revealed in the fine print in post #1, this ride would be very little fun in the rain. A gloomy or damp day puts a serious damper on foliage sightseeing.

OTOH, the long range (and mostly UN-believable) forecasts are showing only the golden orb and a generally better weather pattern leading up to and around next weekend. Because I know there are a few people that are getting hotel rooms for the weekend, and they will need to cancel with 24 hours notice,

I'm making the call now to postpone this ride to next weekend, October 8th / 9th.

I realize that this puts the ride into the Columbus' Day weekend.

I hope that this doesn't cause too many problems for folks.

To be honest, I think the foliage will be better in another week as well.

I will edit post #1 to reflect the new schedule.

Fred - was just looking at the map and forecasts and, for what my opinion's worth, think you made a good call. Just phoned the Jack Daniels Inn along with the Best Western Executive and all booked. Best Western did refer me to their other property, Country Inns and Suites in Bedford which had availability at $152 per night. Then went and canceled my res. for this weekend at Courtyard by Marriott, Manchester and found they also had availability. Manager said they would honor the same rate ($104 per) however since it was the holiday weekend, it would not include breakfast. As of this moment, they have five King rooms available. Oh, and full cancellation up to 4 p.m. day of so if something better comes along . . .

Man… :huh: :huh: :huh:

I have not been on a group ride in two weeks and was looking forward to this one. I guess I will have something to look forward to a week later.

But youre right on the colors of fall. It will just be simply Awesome next week. Im still working out my ear issue … Maybe Im just going deaf.

Your call, Its your ride. Sandi and I look forward to it. :fans:

We are in when it's KSU :lol:

Damn! I'll be in Toronto with my son for 4 days next weekend for a hockey tournament . . . one year I'm going to make this ride . . . perhaps the next Maine Chowdah Run . . .

Well, it's looking like the decision to delay this ride by a week was a good one. All of the forecasts for the coming weekend remain good (so far) and the actuals met expectations for a change in the weekend just past. :Snorkle: . Also, things are still looking very green around southern NH so an additional week for the color to come on seems like a good deal. I use the maple tree outside my office window as a barometer of peak foliage and the leaves are just beginning to take on some color. Hopefully a little sun and cooler nights later in the week will help bring em on.

Some additional notes for those planning on attending: Don't worry about fueling up before the ride. I have a gas stop scheduled in only 10 miles into the ride so we can synchronize fueling, and the total route is only 160 miles.

After we get west a bit and start knocking off some bridges (don't forget to count them) we will be making a stop about an hour and a half into the ride at the Rite Aid in Winchester, NH. This is just a potty break (Ladies' requested) and the real rest stop will be just a few miles later at the Ashuelot Bridge (the pretty white one) for our traditional Photo Op. IOW, lets not dally too long at the drug store.

We'll be grabbing lunch at Diamond Pizza on Rte 12 in Walpole, NH (417 Main St.) and should be arriving there at just after noon, in case anyone wants to meet us there for just the second half of the ride.

We'll be stopping at the beach area at Lake Sunapee State Park for a rest stop and photo op, Hopefully the rest rooms will be open as they were last year. There should be no fee for using the park.

The official Bridges ride will conclude at the Dunkin Donuts on Rte 202 in Hopkinton, NH probably at ~ 4PM. From there it's pretty easy to get home quickly in any direction: via Rte 202 east to I89, or west to Rte 9 heading west-er, or else take 114 south to I-93.

We'll be headed back down towards Goffstown / Manchester by a combination of some more scenic back roads, and taking about 45 minutes to get down to the I-293 / Rte 101 / Rte 114 interchange in Manchester, but we don't have very far to go once we get there. Anyone having the time, feel free to come on along.

Sunday's ride will also commence from Fiddleheads, also starting at 9AM.

The 1/2 mile hike up to the summit of Mt. Kearsarge is fairly rugged, so bring some appropriate foot wear, and since the top is bald it can be windy / chilly so a sweater or jacket liner would be a good thing to have along.

There is a $4 per person fee to use the auto road up Mt Kearsarge (part of Rollins State Park) to get to the parking lot that is 1/2 mile hike from the summit.

We'll be grabbing lunch at Diamond Pizza on Rte 12 in Walpole, NH (417 Main St.) and should be arriving there at just after noon, in case anyone wants to meet us there for just the second half of the ride.
I'll add a reminder that Diamond Pizza no longer takes debit or credit cards so you will have to bring real cash money. Fiddleheads does still take plastic. (For those that didn't see this Public Service Announcement there is an ATM across the street.)