Cross Continent Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're not quite clear of the rain yet, but today should have been the worst you'll see for a while. We are growing algae on everything here, and I had to drain water from the pool to keep it from overflowing. Hell of a day to be riding.

This is seriously interesting stuff. I might have to do this next time out that way. Reported to be "well graded dirt"
[img=[URL="https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ac/a2/63/aca263c7ba504ca6ad18b06ec4908330.jpg%5D"]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ac/a2/63/aca263c7ba504ca6ad18b06ec4908330.jpg][/URL]

[img=[URL="https://www.travelswithgrama.com/travelimages/hwy.261/pageimages/hwy261_003.jpg%5D"]https://www.travelswithgrama.com/travelimages/hwy.261/pageimages/hwy261_003.jpg][/URL]

[img=[URL="https://www.dangerousroads.org/images/stories/Newroads1001/mokee1.jpg%5D"]https://www.dangerousroads.org/images/stories/Newroads1001/mokee1.jpg][/URL]
Is this Moki Dugway? I guess I don't know what's considered well-graded dirt. I rode it on my FZ6 which is not as sure-footed in dirt as Miss Piggy :dribble:
There's no way I'd have wanted to ride UP the road

YRMV

Finished the Blue Ridge today. Smokey Mtn NP, Dragon,Cherohala, an awful slab ride from Tellico Plains to Nashville and am staying in a campground about 60 miles down the Natchez Trace. Tomorrow is a bit more of the Trace and a quick blast through Arkansas. Will see how close I can get to Colorado.

Todays temperatures ranged from 54 to 88 F. Got a little wet but managed to dodge thunderstorms across Tennessee. My gear is not as waterproof as I thought based on the drenching I got Saturday. 8 hours of it on the Interstate.

I see you approaching Little Rock, hope you are dry.

I rode up UT 261 on my FJR back in 07. Well packed gravel, no big deal just stay away from the loose stuff along the edge like any gravel road and you will be fine. As in all dirt riding it is easier and you are more in control going up hill. Awesome road and worth the ride if you are close.

Here's pictures I took on the fly while riding up the hill. Look close and you can see my friend tom on his Beemer wearing a Yellow stitch ahead of me.

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

This one is off the bike at the top in a nice viewing area looking down on the road you came in on. A fun road to ride-do it!

IMG_0168-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post Doug! Thanks for adding the pics and personal experience.

Meanwhile...you have a long day on the plains to look forward to after you leave Ft. Smith. Have fun!

Hot as hell today. Accident on I-40 near Little Rock. Took 45 minutes to go 2 miles at 96 F in my full gear. Fluid replacement is my priority for tonight. I am just across the Oklahoma border on I-40. Hope to get a couple hundred miles of Oklahoma and Kansas plains behind me by noon. Motel tonight.

You are on the west side of the jet stream, so I'm hopeful that nasty stuff will stay behind you. Unfortunately, you are in the blast furnace now - mid-90s with probably 60% humidity. Perhaps 1 more day of misery and tomorrow night you should be in better spirits. Good things come to those that wait (or at least that's what they tell me).

Living vicariously through you, my friend. Ride on!

Checking in I see you are approaching the Oklahoma panhandle. It's lovely country with beautiful scenery and a pleasant climate...when you fly over it.

You're not far behind some riders heading towards ABQ and looking a bit behind.

Made it just east of Denver. 754 miles for the day. Oklahoma and Kansas were pretty flat but interesting and relaxing to ride through. Dodged thunderstorms all afternoon. Hit maybe 15 minutes of rain. Got delayed due to an accident in Colorado. They routed us through a sandy dirt country road for about 5 miles. The car tire was good for that. Approaching Denver, the horizon suddenly got very dark. Got checked into a cheap motel 5 minutes before the skies opened up. If it hadn't been for the delay, I might have made Rocky Mtn NP. That's for tomorrow.

Tomorrow kicks off the 4th of July weekend. RMNP will be a shit show with RVs and vacationers everywhere, especially through Estes Park. Plan on lots of delays, and the earlier you get through Estes the better. I strongly recommend approaching Estes from the South via Allens Park on Rt 7. As you approach Estes on 7, you can take St. Mary's Lake Road on the left and bypass most of town...I recommend you do that unless you want to be entangled in gridlock.

I remembered about the July 4 weekend just a couple days ago. I hope it's not going to make it impossible to get a campsite somewhere in one of the NPs. Thought I might make to Mesa Verde tomorrow. I hope the ride through Rocky Mtn NP isn't a parade but it might be. Same with Mount Evans although it will be better than Pikes Peak.

Probably my worst biking day ever. In the AM, I discovered that either I or Garmin made a navigation error. Ended out backtracking to near Pueblo with the intention of doing Mt Evans. Most of the way there and spoke to a local who told me it wasn't open to the summit yet. Battled HORRIBLE traffic for a couple of hours and thought I would find a campsite near Idaho Springs. Nothing available. Decided to head toward Rocky Mtn NP. No camping available anywhere. Was lucky to find a too expensive motel in Estes Park.

Tomorrow I think I will try to continue with Rocky Mtn NP, Gunnison and Mesa Verde although I won't have time for all. If I am still running into problems with traffic and no available camping, I am thinking about bailing on Colorado and Utah. I am sufficiently pissed off that I am considering giving up on the rest of the trip and heading home. I will sleep on it tonight and decide in the morning.

I had hoped that I could do this trip with a less defined itinerary but maybe not so. In retrospect, I should have taken the July 4 weekend into account. It simply didn't occur to me.

Hey Ross, remember the worse day riding is better than the best day working. Don't give up, the California coast is calling you. Go west young man!

Lesson learned, stay away from National parks on summer holidays. You have just reached the good riding.

I know that. Unfortunately I have to deal with three more days of July 4th holiday. This will totally mess with everything I wanted to do in this part of the country. Perhaps, I will see how bad Rocky Mtn NP is and decide then. I really want to do Gunnison and Mesa Verde. These may have to wait for another time.

At least I am managing to get some laundry done at my too-expensive motel.

I wanted to do RNP on my way to CFO in Custer, SD back in mid Sept. 08. I got to Granby when the heavens opened only the snow level was 9,500 feet so I couldn't ride the park due to snow in mid Sept. It'll work out.

Today was better. Tracking wasn't working for the first part of the day but got it fixed. Mesa Verde is my last Colorado stop then on to Utah.

Ross,

I've found holidays and weekends fri/sat is best to make reservations a day ahead.

You can camp in any National forest with no campground. Just set up camp so you can't be seen from the road. You'll see a lot of people doing this

I hate traffic too

Thanks for the encouragement, Tom. After some soul-searching, I have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to finish the rest of the trip as planned. Today, I ended out passing the entrance to Gunnison NP because it would have taken too long. I went to Mesa Verde, but had to basically run in and out instead of spending the day the site deserved.

The PLAN was flawed from the beginning with trying to cram an impossible amount of stuff into too short a time frame. I managed to break a tooth eating breakfast this morning and an hour later, I dropped the bike in a parking lot - didn't get the kickstand down all the way and it went over. While the car tire has been good on the slab and on sweepers, it has been truly awful on tight mountain twisties; especially with the top-heavy condition imposed by camping gear etc. This is to the point where I do not feel safe riding this terrain.

This is all compounded by weather issues and traffic resulting in simply not having fun. Stress has gotten in the way.

I have never been accused of being a quitter, but I think I am going to bail on this. I will be back another time and will either take double the time or see half as much. Not feeling very happy about it and, frankly, I am a little embarrased with giving up.

I appreciate the support and offers for help along the way.

Latest posts