Cross Continent Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry you feel so stressed and pressured on a trip that was intended to be fun. On the other hand, you've enjoyed many many things on a trip that can only be called a wild and crazy adventure.

Hope you find that the good memories far outweigh the frustrating ones.

Safe journey home!

See, you should have taken me along. I'm pretty good a picking up a bike.
rolleyes.gif

I see you're in Blanding. That is a decision point between west to Glen Canyon, Capital Reef and Escalante, or back north. Have a great rest of your trip. Don't hurry back too quickly, your planned trip back over the north shore of Superior still looks pretty tempting, and stay off the slab. Keep in mind that with the 4th of July weekend behind you, things will definitely be easier to get to and more enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the PM Ross, sometime stuff just happens. I broke a tooth a few years back and I feel for ya. Don't feel too down in the dumps as you will l be able to do this again another time. Enjoy the ride home.

Ross; keep your chin up. I've been following this with great anticipation as you were actually pre-scouting for some of the areas that I will be going to in another couple of weeks. You did have a lot on you plate, and I think w your next venture, you will have this all ironed out; traffic/tires etc.

I've ridden with you and you are a good and very cautious rider. The car tire thing sounds like a thorn more than anything. If you don't feel comfortable it will and can ruin the adventure. I commend you for the huge effort, and dealing with us crazy Amerks during our busiest of holiday weekends. You got nothing to be ashamed of and it happens to all of us.

I truly feel for you and at the same time look up to you as even taking this venture on!... and all by yourself!! cudos.
smile.png

When I posted my upcoming 8500 mi itinerary here, I had a lot of great input/tips, as I know you did also. But, you just never know until you are out in the vast and have these curve-balls thrown at you. As you know, I went with each days legs planned with hotel/motels booked on each end. I knew being the end of July, that nothing sucks more than a tired rider being told that "I heard that the next town may have a room or two" only to get there and it's already gone. So I'm going pre-planned lodging, the main downfall is that if it is an all-day rain, we still have to do it; no days off!

Keep us up to date, and I hope your return trip is MUCH LESS stressed!!!

We'll tip another beer together, and, soon again I hope!
smile.png

Ross - I'm sorry for your recent bad luck. As I type this, the right side of my mouth is still numb from this morning's tooth filling (I cracked my tooth Thursday night - it was a long weekend), so misery loves company.

But do please consider making lemonade. Take Tom's suggestion and go to Arches NP. Take a few hours to sit in the shade and re-group. There's still plenty of time to see plenty of stuff. Pitch the plan in the trash and start over. I hope whatever you decide makes you happy.

Sorry to hear about the troubles you've encountered. As others have said, there's still a lot of great things you can see on the way back, especially now that the holiday weekend is over. Maybe you can come out to Oregon in September for FJRay's LaPine RTE? Not so hot and the best Reuben west of the Mississippi!

Ross is making a bee-line back home and is already on the plains slabbing I-76 towards I-80, almost to Nebraska. Looks like that sightseeing decision has been made.

Weather wasn't looking good for southern Utah today so I decided to head back. As it was, I encountered varying amounts of rain from Utah border to Denver. Garmin tells me that I could be home in three days at 700 miles per day but the route would be ugly. Might swing through the Adirondacks and do VT and NH for an extra couple of days. Maybe Michigan Upper Peninsula. Will decide tomorrow.

The problem with the PLAN had nothing to do with anything other than trying to cram too much into too short a time. I had absolutely no room to account for any difficulties. Weather, traffic, fatigue etc. I was beginning to feel a little overwhelmed. When it became clear that the only way I would be able to finish the rest of the trip would be to blast through everything without even being able to stop and really look at stuff, I decided to save the vacation time and try a scaled down version next year.

I have already done maybe a quarter or more of the stuff and a separate trip (or trips) to focus on specific places makes more sense. The Grand Tour still appeals to me and it might happen eventually but (knowing what I know now) my planned itinerary would be for 6 weeks, not 4. Time enough to take a few days off or stay some extra days in a particular area or spend time with friends along the way. There would still be plenty of riding but much less pressure to get it all done.

I learned a lot about trip planning and what things I need to consider for the next time. A week long trip is a breeze to plan by comparison; especially if it is in one general geographic area. Even weather is somewhat predictable for this short time. Even a decision to bail because of problems means, at most, a day or two to get home. When I turned back (difficult decision) I was a minimum of 4 or 5 days away.

I don't regret the trip at all. Saw some great stuff and about half the days were pretty great. I just came to the conclusion that it was not the right way to do it. Not going to do a trip report on this but I will fill in some more detail and thoughts when I get home.

I appreciate your comments and understanding. Perhaps my experience will help someone else who is planning an epic adventure.

The problem with the PLAN had nothing to do with anything other than trying to cram too much into too short a time.
Learned this one first hand in 2010. Rode across the country to WCR on Vancouver Island, Left there for Toas NM the following weekend, then NAFO in Knoxville the following weekend. Trust me, their wasn't much time for smelling the flowers along the way. For instance, we were at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon for less than an hour. We didn't pull into Toas until after midnight that night.

Good riding buddies, and good peeps at the meets saved the trip though.

I'm due for another.

The fact that this was a solo adventure makes the problems harder to deal with. I like doing solo trips but having a like-minded companion along would have helped. Mind you, I don't know anyone else crazy enough to take this on. Most of the local guys I know think 300 miles per day is a lot. Same guys who consider 5000 miles to be a good year.

Bungie. I'll wave when I pass Sudbury tomorrow. Motel in Dubuque Iowa tonight.

Edit: Oops, maybe not. Over 12 hrs riding time to Sudbury. I was hoping to be home in another two days but its looking like three. Was going to run up to Sault Ste Marie and finish the ride in Canada. Since I am into a third day, I will reconsider the options from here.

Be careful and make conservative decisions, please! Those two items get tougher for me as I get closer to the house.

Only made it 100 km toward Sudbury from Sault Ste Marie. (Started the day in Dubuque Iowa). The one hour time change and the ride from Oshkosh to the border took forever! I was still feeling pretty good and could have made Sudbury easily but it would have been totally dark. Lots of critters on the highway in Northern Ontario. Also discovered one headlight blown. Its mate is probably not long for this world since they were changed at the same time. Might be running on high beams by the time I get home.

I saw you in Iron Bridge at the Red Top Inn. Nice ride for a day! Beautiful country and worth doing in daylight, but I figured you to be heading into Sudbury.

I saw you in Iron Bridge at the Red Top Inn. Nice ride for a day! Beautiful country and worth doing in daylight, but I figured you to be heading into Sudbury.
Too much chance of a deer strike after dark; especially with a missing headlight. Might have to stop at the Sudbury Canadian Tire and see if I can replace it. My hands are too big to do it easily in a parking lot but at least it is the left one which is a little easier. Might be sacrificing some skin from the back of my hand in the interest of safety.