Doggie Down .. Cdog sez.. I fell of the bike!! ARF!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow! glad neither of you were hurt. that's a lot of damage for 45 mph. flipping horizontally and vertically, too? wow! i would never have guessed there was that much momentum at that speed.

i bet it was the air box mods that caused it.

My wife is MORE than willing to ride again... SHE said "I cannot imagine us not having a bike" on the trip home...
WOW!!! Where do I find one like Kenra? No wonder you got married . . . again. :p

. . . with your kind permission, I will respond "CDog", if one of the riders who has elected to go faster asks me why I am keeping a slower pace.
Joseph, I suspect there's gonna be a lot of "CDog"ing heard over the bike to bike radios this next week. Looks like we have a particularly cold and wet day coming on Wednesday from Hinton (east of Jasper) back down the Icefields Parkway to 1 and over to Revelstoke. Good thing that's not a LOT of miles, but it's shaping up to be a long CDog day.

You would think, with those kind of conditions present, someone would think to put a freakin' "PAVEMENT SLIPPERY WHEN WET" sign there :angry: (What are the chances your insurance company will agree and hold the state (or county) responsible for the accident and get them to replace the bike?)
Gotta agree with that sentiment, except that like OCfjr says just below, even THAT isn't a strong enough warning. To leave it completely unmarked with that kind of condition is nearly guaranteeing accidents, though. Says a lot that the LEO noted that oil on the road was the cause. If you or the insurance company were to discover that the reported oil was not just a recent spill, but a chronic condition there, well . . . someone ought to fix that BS (and pay for ALL of your resulting losses) -- that's more dangerous than a teen driver with a text enabled cell phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that sucked. Glad you two are ok and I hope you'll be getting back on a new bike soon. Lots of deals on AEs out there.

"Slippery went wet" doesn't really cut it for signage in this case. Living in OR, I pretty much ignore those signs anyway, since it's just water on the road and it's more a factor of pavement type/roughness that is in play there. This is a huge hazard well beyond just water. "Oil on road" would be more of a wake up. I can't help but wonder how much of that oil bubbling out is a result of poor drainage in the road bed?

Thanks Guys.

Do be careful.. I really have to say, I think the situation would be VERY hard to duplicate almost anywhere. It was like someone had painted black monkey snot on the road.. When it was not raining.. It looked like the rubber from the trucks slowing down had just coated the road like at a drag strip.. I dont think it washes away.. It was raining and storming for DAYS in the area..

EXSKI..

Kenra is one of a kind .. For those that know me from the past.. She went down with me on 11/07 as well.. We were wearing the gear the insurance settlement bought us from that crash, go figgure

Just heard from the SALVAGE company.. they wanna come get the bike, it is in my garage right now.. There are a couple things I need first.. So I have to get that done immediatly

Very glad you guys are OK!

Unfortunately I know that 'helpless' feeling, having hit some slippery shit in an intersection earlier this year.

I agree, not really anything you can do, but it did take me quite a few hours to get some confidence back.

Sorry to hear about your get-off. I am glad the two of you are okay, and further reinforces my policy of ATGATT. I ride a lot in the rain (my bike is my commuting vehicle until the deer come out in the fall), so your tale is particularly poignant to me.

I hope things work out for you favorably with the insurance company. Best wishes.

Dam Cdog...Glad you two are ok. I don't know if my wife would ever get back on with me after one get-off, let alone two. She also likes to argue with me about wearing her riding pants because she thinks they are ugly...Next time, she's gonna lose that argument.

That could have been way uglier; especially with all those heavy coal trucks showing up as often as you said. I don't know if there was anything you really could have done. Like Carver, I probably would have put a leg down and broken the damn thing. I know it sounds stupid, but sometimes not panicking and just taking the hit are the best things you can do.

That crap on the road was obviously a crash waiting to happen. One thing you can do is note the location on your crash report and then ask the agencies, (county and state) for any other crash reports from that same area. Sometimes engineering issues are only fixed after enough people crash in the same area and someone takes notice. If you get more than one or two, your insurance company may cut you a break and may actually go after whoever is responsible for that road; as someone else already said.

Hope you are able to get back on soon!

HRZ

What a rodeo ride!! So glad you're both still fully functional!!!!!!! Thanks for the really fine & educational post complete w/ visuals! Those photos certainly won't hurt your chances in court should you decide to persue the issue. Your analysis is clearly spot-on, short of "just not bein' there" I doubt there was one damn thing you coulda done to avoid it! Here's hopin' a new Feej will find it's way into your garage as spontaniously as the last one disappeared!

Thanks again all

The gear.

I had on a rain jacket.. Ate right through it.. It was a Motoboss, the red one there.. That shit was SOOOO slippery.. it did not get into my jacket much.. a tad, but not much.. It felt like a kids slip&slid in the back yard on a summer BBQ..

I KNEW it was chewing through my gear.. But I am serious as hell.. 273 Feet.. From 45 MPH That is 66 feet per second not allowing for slowing down during the slide.. 273/66 = 4+ seconds.. without allowing for slowing during the slide..

For round numbers to allow for slowing count one alligator, two alligator,, up to 6 alligators.. That is a LOOOOONNGGG ass slide..

I was sliding on SNOT!! UDOT Style

It went all the way through my joe Rocket pants.. But no further.. Gloves.. OK, Helmets, Never touched down.. But.. I had on a Shoei X11 and Kenra, Shoei RF1000.. Both had good riding boots on.. no damage (they were protected by SNOT!!!!)

Kenra did take a pretty good hit on her elbow armor.. Penetration.. jacket is going to the Ins Company for replacement.. Same for my pants.. Same for her Pants.. Both took scuffs bad enough that they warrant payouts..

honestly. All in all.. We slid for 6 whole seconds because there was no friction to stop us..

It was an amazing ride.. That is why at the end fo my oh shit process... it was "Are we ever gonna stop sliding?"

Do that 6 alligator thing again.. we slid FOREVER!!!!

Damn you two! Knock that shit off already! Do I need to head up there and whip both yer asses?

I'm super glad you guys are OK. I couldn't even breath when I read the title of the other thread. What a relief that you guys had the gear on. Good on you for that. And good on you for not panicking. As for your question "what could I have done...", I have no clue. If that had been a freakin' golf cart I could give you some pointers, but not with that strange set of variables on the FJR.

Glad you and Kenra (there's no "d" in her name you freakin' tools) are alright.

Damn you two! Knock that shit off already! Do I need to head up there and whip both yer asses?
I'm super glad you guys are OK. I couldn't even breath when I read the title of the other thread. What a relief that you guys had the gear on. Good on you for that. And good on you for not panicking. As for your question "what could I have done...", I have no clue. If that had been a freakin' golf cart I could give you some pointers, but not with that strange set of variables on the FJR.

Glad you and Kenra (there's no "d" in her name you freakin' tools) are alright.
Hey, Leave the golf cart out of it.. I think I may have a donor motor for it now!!

I'm glad you're both OK and the gear did it's job. I marvel at riders that "ride naked."

I always hate to read threads like this but hope to learn something when I do. After looking at that "road snot," I'm sure you did nothing wrong...not sure anyone could have saved the bike while riding on a frictionless surface.

Sorry to read about the slide. Living in the NW you learn to get pretty good at reading wet roads, but it didn't have that oil look to it. When it is raining I just keep it upright and try not to lean too much and go slow. It is not the prettiest way to corner or the fastest but effective most of the time. I have had a couple slides over the years and there is not much you can do other than what you did gear up well.

We all feel your pain over the loss of the bike, but I echo the relief that you and Kenra came through the mess relatively unscathed. There are some accidents you just can't avoid. Sounds like you have developed quite a lot of wisdom over the years. Glad to hear that ATGATT paid off for both of you. I hope you get a quick settlement from the insurance company. Maybe a new 2010 FJR is in your future.

Man that is one bad ass wrecked bike. The great thing, no injuries, no fatalities. and the both of you walked away.

There will be no coal in your xmas stocking this year, but a new bike with gear for the two of you keep on riding safe

As you know it is not a question of if but a question of when... :construction: :bike:

Man I'm glad you and the wife are ok. We just got back from our first long trip and had all kind of rain on twisty roads. By the grace of God we did fine and made it home. I'm sure glad He was watching over you both.

Latest posts