Doggie Down .. Cdog sez.. I fell of the bike!! ARF!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin,, Kendra ............... sooo glad you're both OK. Nothing you can do about black snot on the road, except - not be there. But you were and only the FJR needs repair - that's a good thing. :)

Yikes! Glad you two are ok. :thumbsup: Hopefully the insurance company acts quickly.

:secret: Ya know, there are safer ways to stimulate the economy.

:)

I did not panick... I went into "Automatic" mode my frustration was I could not find an imput sequence that was correct.. that was a strange feeling.. Drawing a blank trying to react.. I goes "Dont Panic" was the correct and best answer given the situation.. it was my only choice.. so....
So glas to hear you both are OK and the gear served it's purpose. Check your helmets, if they touched or hit, you should replace them too.

I have had one similar crash on the race track. Highsided in a corner at about 100 mph on my Honda RS250 GP bike. The bike went sideways and I was in the air before I could even react. Turns out some idiot in another class that was running with us had a craked oil tank (was part of his frame), he decided to ride around the outside edge of the track to back to the pits believing he was not on the race line. Except the race line goes all the way to the edge of the track for the 250's. I lost the rear end in the oil which caused the high side. Nothing that I could have done to prevent or react in time to save it.

Sounds to me like you were in the same situation and there is nothing you can do when you lose all traction on both ends at the same time. Good thing is that you were able to determine the cause and don't have to go on wondering what happened.

Let the dreaming begin for the next bike, hopefully it won't take too long.

Cdog, I'll join that chorus rejoicing that you guys suffered no serious injuries. Life can change in seconds.

And that there happened to be no oncoming vehicles - such good fortune!

ALL THE GEAR. ALL THE TIME.

(Might it be a good idea to have the little woman checked out by a doctor?)

Take care.

I'll echo everyone else, glad you and the missus are okay. I'm sure you're still in shock. Excellent job with the pictures. They'll be no argument with the insurance company.

There is no helmet law in Idaho, and unbelievably most riders you see do not wear a helmet let alone any other gear. You and your wife a living proof of the importance of good PPE.

I'm sorry to hear about your get-off but glad that both you and your wife are OK. Here's hoping things go you way from here on out and your on another bike as soon as possible - I would say you've had more than your share of bad luck to last a while...hey, you didn't do anything to piss off Odot did you? Just asking...

Now I am feeling all squishy inside.. I am getting lots of attention now,, SWEET

I do have something to say about this great community..

My wife made ONE call, then ONE more.. To people out of state from the side of the road while I was dealing with the scene.

Immediately.. we were flooded with inbound assistance from all corners of the continent.

I mean the response was heartwarming.. I know I did not answer everyone (barb) But I noticed all of it..

EVERYONE HERE ROCKS!!

What great people.. My heart soars!!

Robin - I am glad you are both OK. Frankly, after observing the road conditions, there was nothing you could do. It may as well been ice.

You should complain to the State Dept. of Transportation ( I am assuming it is a State highway). There are federal pavement standards for "wet coefficient of friction". The pavement where you had your get-off unlikely meets those standards. A complaint should trigger some "skid testing" [the pavement is wet down and a special trailer is towed over it measuring the friction]. If it does not meet the minimum skid standards the agency should do a safety project and repave this section. It should be repaved with OGAC [open graded asphalt concrete] to enhance traction in wet conditions.

Anyway, I recommend follow-up so it doesn't happen to somebody else. If you really want to stir things up -- and I think you should, you should do two things:

1. Request (pursuant to a public records act) the accident history for this section of roadway for the prior three years. You may see a high incidence of wet weather accidents;

2. File a claim with the State for your losses because this greasy section of roadway is not a condition you should reasonably have anticipated.

If you have any questions ping me.

I hope to ride with you again soon!

+1 that everyone's OK.

Many thanks for the description and pics...much to learned about road conditions, weather riding, and ATGATT.

Man....that was NOT a phone call I wanted to get. My first question to Kenra, "Are you two alright?" She was sooo calm and collected (almost using her "professional voice") and taking care of her man and their business. How very cool!

BTDT, Robin, when an RV or boat left a trail of water through a left turn lane in an intersection. 1st thought when the front washed out, "What the heck is happening?" 2nd thought, "This isn't really happening!" (Male denial: It's a good thing!) Then I'm on my back watching my FJR slide ahead of me.

As I told Kenra, parts can be replaced. Friends not requiring a trip to the "get-well-quick-place": Priceless!

Now, my first idea was posted by Larry:

Also VERY glad to hear you're both okay. You would think, with those kind of conditions present, someone would think to put a freakin' "PAVEMENT SLIPPERY WHEN WET" sign there :angry: (What are the chances your insurance company will agree and hold the state (or county) responsible for the accident and get them to replace the bike?)
Thank you for the detailed report and the sobbering reminder that even though you can't see or anticipate a dangerous situation, they're still out there. Just one more reason for ATGATT
Then Rick posted THIS response:

Robin - I am glad you are both OK. Frankly, after observing the road conditions, there was nothing you could do. It may as well been ice.
You should complain to the State Dept. of Transportation ( I am assuming it is a State highway). There are federal pavement standards for "wet coefficient of friction". The pavement where you had your get-off unlikely meets those standards. A complaint should trigger some "skid testing" [the pavement is wet down and a special trailer is towed over it measuring the friction]. If it does not meet the minimum skid standards the agency should do a safety project and repave this section. It should be repaved with OGAC [open graded asphalt concrete] to enhance traction in wet conditions.

Anyway, I recommend follow-up so it doesn't happen to somebody else. If you really want to stir things up -- and I think you should, you should do two things:

1. Request (pursuant to a public records act) the accident history for this section of roadway for the prior three years. You may see a high incidence of wet weather accidents;

2. File a claim with the State for your losses because this greasy section of roadway is not a condition you should reasonably have anticipated.

Personally, since I know his profession, have a high regard for the man and his knowledge and know for whom he works, I'd be following his advice and sending the road surface photos to your insurance company. I think you might have a replacement bike sooner than you imagine.

And, Robin, there's nothing you could have done to save the situation. Your pre-planning for an unseen event was exactly the right thing to do.

The best news is that you two seem to be in a good emotional/mental place right now.

Then Rick posted THIS response:

Personally, since I know his profession, have a high regard for the man and his knowledge and know for whom he works, I'd be following his advice and sending the road surface photos to your insurance company. I think you might have a replacement bike sooner than you imagine.
Ummm -- yeah. Let's just say that you aren't likely to get a more expert perspective than Rick's. I'd follow his advice to the letter and take him up on his offer to answer any questions -- his is seriously valuable advice in this arena.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Cdog, since you seem to be tired of the "squishy inside" stuff, how's this one? Change the bike in your info from 2006 AE North America to Other or Considering FJR! :eek:

Man, those were some of the scariest bike-after-incident photos I've seen. Walk it off, son! Hope you get another soon.

That's almost as scary as the dreaded left-turner. A great testament to ATGATT. I don't see how you could've saved it... it's not a dirt bike, but a 600+ lb. ST. Plus riding 2-up making it more top heavy... I think "do nothing" was the right response. My wife won't come near my bike, let alone ride pillion after 2 get-off's... Kenra is a keeper for sure.

Wow! Glad to hear you two are ok.

This kind of stuff scares the hell out of me. I ride/ridden that road many times, it's one of my favs.

One time I rode through that exact spot in the rain (started maybe 1 hour before I rode through) and I didn't notice anything like that. Which scares me even more because, isn't it true that, the more it rains the cleaner the roads become? Cdog's right, its been raining for days, one of the wettest Junes on record.

Sorry for your troubles and thank you for posting this, I found it a very valuable educational opportunity.

Next time I ride through there, hopefully not in the rain, I'll stop and see what the road surface looks like when it's dry.

J

You know, I was just gonna let this go.. But Ric in Sac has sparked some interest in pursuit..

I DONT want this to happen to someone else.. May have to get after this one..

Ric, How do I find the appropriate people to start this trail with?

I have a TON of pictures.. out of habit for ass covering

Jackplanet514

I have need to a stock shock IMMEDIATLY.. THIS WEEKEND.. I have a Penske triple Clicker that I do not want to send back with the bike (that is now sitting in my garage)

Cdog,

Glad you and the Mrs are alright. A good slide not only slows time down but often leaves you

with an major adrenalin pump and appreciation for life (and your gear, if you had it!!).

Hope your wife doesn't get spooked away from the 2 upping.

WW

Cdog,

Sorry to hear about the bike. It pains me to see an FJR so messed up. But what is truly important is that you and your wife are OK. I'm am so glad to hear that. Thanks for sharing this experience and taking the time to get photos and all - I don't know if I could have done that.

Stay safe brother...

Now I am feeling all squishy inside.. I am getting lots of attention now,, SWEET
I do have something to say about this great community..

My wife made ONE call, then ONE more.. To people out of state from the side of the road while I was dealing with the scene.

Immediately.. we were flooded with inbound assistance from all corners of the continent.

I mean the response was heartwarming.. I know I did not answer everyone (barb) But I noticed all of it..

EVERYONE HERE ROCKS!!

What great people.. My heart soars!!
Glad your all gooey inside now.............. SSSSSOOOOOOO000000 ... looks like a slightly used read tire you don't need and how about that header

pipe and rear shock...... :dribble: .......... do we have an avatar for vultures circling??

B.....