Dual Stebel Nautilus horns?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXFJR

Reaction score
I am going to install a Stebel Nautilus horn on my 2011. More than likely, I will mount it on the MC enterprises front guard and wire it to a switched circuit on the Fuzeblock FZ1. After thinking about it, started thinking about having DUAL horns for some really good volume. This is my question, would I wire each one to a separate circuit on the Fuzeblock? I think I have enough to do them separate. The only thing that would be shared would be the trip wire from the factory horn switch going to the relays of both horns. Is this overkill? Any potential electrical issues? This is where I plan on mounting them, below the LR4s:

https://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee391/TX79camaroZ28/43BF6A7A-AAF2-480F-BCFE-650D4C435F9C.jpg

https://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee391/TX79camaroZ28/636BDAC6-36C8-4E93-ADA8-B379B9F8343F.jpg

This is my question, would I wire each one to a separate circuit on the Fuzeblock? I think I have enough to do them separate. The only thing that would be shared would be the trip wire from the factory horn switch going to the relays of both horns. Is this overkill? Any potential electrical issues?
It's not a quantity thing...it's an amps thing. Add the amps required for the Nautilius, multiply by two, and then size the wire and fuse accordingly on the Fuzeblock and limits of the relay. I can't imagine two are going to exceed one circuit on the Fuzeblock and doubt they're going to exceed the capability of the relay. However, your question about potential electrical issues suggests you don't know the figures. if you're going to play in the tall weeds with higher amperage farkles like the Nautilus and cool Fuzeblock gadget...it's really to your benefit to walk through the calculations.

<sarcasm>Or, if you don't and trust us....skip all that and add them to your existing horns and mash the horn for 30 seconds. If nothing smokes...you're good to go. </sarcasm>

I am almost positive I have two unused circuits on the fuze block, and I was planning on running separate relays for each horn

Each horn is 18 amps at 12 volts, which means about 16 amps at the nominal 13.5 amps during operation of the FJR (total 32 amps). The Fuzeblock is limited at 30 amps, so two horns would be a momentary overload, but likely no problem. I would still be tempted to not run that circuit off the Fuzeblock, and would prefer to put it on a 12 or 16 gauge wire with inline 30 amp fuse. That's not a lot of safety margin, but who runs down the road running their horns for any duration?

The horns are fugly outside of the bike where it is visible, and they will eventually fail if you don't protect the air intake or sound outlet. Pretty impressive and attention getting horn, and I have never heard a dual set. Since frequencies are the same, the sound output is not additive, but will be slightly louder than a single horn. Have fun!

Definitely for the 2014 FJR, but if you live in Texas, maybe try these...yep, the BULL HORN!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the reason I was avoiding running the horns straight to the battery is that I already have several connections there (of course the battery cables, battery tender, and the fuzeblock itself) So, is the fuzeblock limited to a TOTAL MAXIMUM of 30 amps, or each circuit is limited to 30 amps each? If they draw 18 amps, and since I still have 3 open circuits on the fuzeblock, if I ran each horn to a separate circuit each...would that work?

The total amperage for the entire FZ1 should not exceed 30a. The relay in the FZ1 is a 30a relay. Each circuit is good for 10a, not to exceed 30a total. Each of your horns draw almost double the max current rating for a single FZ1 circuit at 12 volts. If you're running anything else off the FZ1, which you must be since you have 3 open circuits left, you will really be overtaxing your fuse block. As Tom suggested, I'd run a separate fused circuit directly from the battery to a 40a horn relay.

Each horn is 18 amps at 12 volts, which means about 16 amps at the nominal 13.5 amps during operation of the FJR (total 32 amps).
Whoa. I had no clue that had that much draw. I had thought they were closer 10 or so.