Easy Peasy Coolant Change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrunDog

Reaction score
Guys,

I did a hybrid service manual/Warchild blowjob today on my Gen I, and I must say this was quite easy.

First, there is no need to remove the side panels. In fact, I am not even sure why it is recommended. Takes too much damn time and you can easily perform the service through the opening in the fairing panel. I pulled the reservoir hose and just let it drain inside the fairing. Now, lest you think I might let that coolant do anything to my paint - I made sure that wasn't going to happen by flushing it with a garden hose as the coolant was draining out. Not enough concentration to do anything, and besides, that is inside the fairing. Not necessarily EPA friendly, but we aren't talking much coolant here, and I washed down the driveway so much after that it wouldn't cause any harm.

I then drained the system into a bucket, and blew a few times into my funnel, which has a narrow opening and seals well against the radiator filler neck. I poured in some distilled water and blew it out a few more times until the liquid was clear. I then poured some 50/50 mix in and blew it out a few times until the color was back (also into the bucket). I then filled it up, filled the reservoir, closed the caps, started it and ran it to 4 bars. No leaks, done in 30 mins.

The hardest part was getting the spring clip back into place through the fairing opening. With the right long nose (hemostat), this was no problem.

So I repeat again - do not remove your fairing! Oh, and usual disclaimers apply: YMMV, my $0.02, may not apply to Gen II, etc.

-BD

Guys,
I did a hybrid service manual/Warchild blowjob today on my Gen I, and I must say this was quite easy.

First, there is no need to remove the side panels. <snip>

So I repeat again - do not remove your fairing! Oh, and usual disclaimers apply: YMMV, my $0.02, may not apply to Gen II, etc.

-BD
I just did mine too. But I removed the right side plastic - took about 2 minutes.

Only problem with your method is that all the coolant between the thermostat and the water pump did not get changed out with the rest. But hey, at least you have 3/4 fresh coolant.

Yeah, I never understood why people are so concerned about getting all the old stuff out. We don't get all the old oil out when we change our oil.

It's easy to change it all in one shot. Do it while the engine is piping hot and the thermostat is open. Of course, you have to wait until the coolant is cool enough to come below boiling at atmospheric pressure, but do it before the thermostat closes. Opening the drain at the water pump while the system is hot can shoot a 10 foot stream of coolant sideways out of the bike. Don't ask how I know.

Also, go for a *short* around the block ride and re-top off the coolant system. It's very easy to trap air as the thermostat closes during the fluid change, and just pouring in doesn't always fully purge the system of air.

This does not apply to GenII. The GenII does not have the easy to drain overflow tube at the bottom. There is no hole in a GenII overflow tank other than the top. You must remove side tupperwear and remove overflow tank to flush old coolant from overflow tank. Its a PITA and why they changed I will never know.

Yeah, I never understood why people are so concerned about getting all the old stuff out.
If I understand correctly, when you change types of coolant (green stuff to orange stuff) the two don't mix. If they do mix it will coagulate and plug stuff up.

Having recently changed mine ( as noted above ) I think I did not get a full change of coolant because the thermostat was likely closed. Assuming that it opens below 212F, next time, I think I will just boil the kettle or two and carefully pour that into the system before adding new coolant. That should open the thermostat and flush the remaining old crap through. Hopefully it will stay open long enough, and that I'm quick enough, to add the new coolant before it closes.

Does anyone know just what temperature our thermostats open at ?

Yeah, I never understood why people are so concerned about getting all the old stuff out.
If I understand correctly, when you change types of coolant (green stuff to orange stuff) the two don't mix. If they do mix it will coagulate and plug stuff up.
I agree that it's not a good idea to mix the different types. I have seen stuff in the auto parts store that is supposed to be compatible with both the green and orange antifreeze but I don't think I want to be the first to try it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: