electrosport problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilmedic13

Reaction score
Alright, I've had the Electrosport stator for awhile now. It was initially on my 1st 05 in 07, until she got totalled. I took it off and put it on my "new" 05 in november of 07, didn't really ride again until july of 08 due to a broken ankle and some confidence issues afterward(bike only ,sicko's). Every so often I would smell something similiar to burning plastic after start up. Well, after my bike failed to charge a few weeks ago I found what may be the problem.

The charging system wouldn't do its job because it couldn't. One of the wires going into the r/r had disconnected itself from the spade connector. It looked initially like something was heating up the stator wires from the outside, the sheathing was dried out to the point of flaking off at the touch,wires dark, etc. I really didn't look at the wire until the other day, it looked as if it were cut off and soldered afterward! I'm no gebnius, but that's not external heating.

So, this morning I went out to start her, just to see if my suscpicions were right. Sure enough, I started the bike and the wires going into the r/r got hot as shit w/in 2 minutes. I could feel the heat with my finger, had to just in case it was engine heat. I could feel the heat from the exhaust, but that dissipated from the area with a simple breath. The heat on my finger stayed though, in fact after another minute or so, I could no longer keep my finger on it, too fucking hot!

Now, after all that, I have one question.

Is there a specific way the wires are supposed to hook up? I honestly just eenie,meenie,minie,moe'd it on install because I had nothibg to go from. Or is there something else I'm missing?

This sux, cuz I haven't been able to ride for a while and am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel and don't really feel like fixing this every so often when out in the boonies, or worse.

Thanks for any help.

The charging system wouldn't do its job because it couldn't. One of the wires going into the r/r had disconnected itself from the spade connector. It looked initially like something was heating up the stator wires from the outside, the sheathing was dried out to the point of flaking off at the touch,wires dark, etc. I really didn't look at the wire until the other day, it looked as if it were cut off and soldered afterward!
When I 1st installed my Electrosport stator, after soldering the spade connectors on the wires from the bike and the stator, I ganged up the cluster of spade connectors parallel to each other and taped them together. Went for a ride and immediately saw smoke. Going back in, I found tha the shrink wrap and electrical tape had begun to dry and scorch (this was after only a mile or 2 with the new stator). Next, I cut and re-soldered the wires to a new set of spade connectors in a staggered arrangement and shrink wrapped the connections. Taped the new bundle of connectors together (this time not in a parallel) = success, No smoke and they've been that way ever since (30 - 35,000 miles now).

Still got the original stator on a shelf as a back-up.

HTH?

'05 FJR 1300 (58,000 +miles)

Last edited by a moderator:
The arrangement has me a little confused. When you say not in parallel, how do you arrange them then? I might be a little slow today, so forgive me if it's that dumb of a question(been up since 0430 w/ 4 hrs of sleep in the last 3 days).

Woohoo! My 666th post!

Any of the three can go to any of the terminals. 3 phase, 3 wires, each the same output. Heat is generally created by resistance, so clean well made connections are a must. The other heat generator is load related, unlikely in this type of system, since it just dumps unused power to ground anyway.

The arrangement has me a little confused. When you say not in parallel, how do you arrange them then?
Not parallel as in current (amps), but parallel as in how the wires are physically arranged in space outside of the stator housing on the left side of the motorcycle.

Again HTH?

Other bikes have this problem too.... best just to forget the connectors and solder them directly. Problem over.

Thanks all. I'll replace the connectors this weekend, gotta work tomorrow and play Daddy to my 1 yr old all day today since the wife got called in tonight. I have a ton to do to her anyway(the bike,not the wife),oil/filter change, coolant swap and rear end maintainence.

Yzerman, love the avatar. He is the only detroit jersey I own, I have the one from the first Stanley Cup w/ his name and #.

Regardless if you crimp or solder, make sure the wire you are connecting is a bright, shiny copper color. If the wire is discolored and especially if the wire is a flat red color the connection won't be electrically good no matter how skillful you are. You may have to cut back the wire until you find the good shiny copper stuff and pray that the wire is still long enough to reach. IMO, anyway.