EOM 2012 - Travel Nawlins' through Atlanta

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus
Reaction score
if you live in or near Atlanta, or are in the know about traffic

what would you advise me the latest time to travel through the megatropolis

I'm thinking to arrive there around 2:30pm heading to Clayton, GA for the night

and whitewater rafting the next morning before continuing to Hendersonville.

I'm also planning to skirt the center of town by going around via I-285 to the east

even though it's longer

instead of I-85 through the center of town

and advice, info, experience is greatly appreciated

Let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Sounds like a good plan. Afternoon traffic starts to pick up after 3 or 3:30. In fact, if you're hitting town about 2:30 eastern you can go straight through town without a problem. Just watch signs closely so you get in the correct lanes when I-85 and I-75 merge and then split downtown.

Sounds like a good plan. Afternoon traffic starts to pick up after 3 or 3:30. In fact, if you're hitting town about 2:30 eastern you can go straight through town without a problem. Just watch signs closely so you get in the correct lanes when I-85 and I-75 merge and then split downtown.
ah crap...I'm in Central Time Zone and am gonna "lose" an hour from the time I leave

I planned on leaving home at 3:30am for estimated 11hr ride (8.5 in the saddle per googlemaps)

geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, if you hit ATL at 3:30e you're still better off shooting straight through the middle.

If you have a gps that gives lane advice, turn it on ;)
Agreed!

It really isn't too bad. I negotiate ATL traffic in a truck pretty regularly. The 18-wheeled variety. As long as you pay attention to the signs you'll be fine.

I'm going through Atlanta day after tomorrow (Wed 12th) ~11 am on the way to CFO before heading to EOM. I don't like traveling through Atlanta, but sometimes ya just gotta do it, so shooting right through the middle on I-75.

Like has been said before, pay attention to the signs!

I do have a Q tho - the car pool lanes - I have traveled in them before but have heard that in Atlanta, you need a toll pass to be legal - this true?

I do have a Q tho - the car pool lanes - I have traveled in them before but have heard that in Atlanta, you need a toll pass to be legal - this true?
Hopefully a GA rider will answer. My understanding is that bikes can ride the express lanes free BUT you're required to have a PeachPass account and transponder.

Having said that, I don't know that there would be much benefit except during rush hour. I've ridden and driven through and around ATL a helluva lot for a non-resident and I've only seen traffic delays due to rush hour and/or accidents. With the exception of a few interchanges they actually have plenty of lanes to handle normal traffic volume.

Basically, going through at 11am? Don't sweat it. :good:

I'm also planning to skirt the center of town by going around via I-285 to the east

even though it's longer

instead of I-85 through the center of town
That's fine. But actually if you ride through ATL between 10am & 3pm taking 75/85 will prob. have less traffic. 285 up in that corner of ATL is nothing but tons of tractor trailer traffic.

Watch the digital overhead signs for potential listed traffic accidents that might cause you to alter your route.

It depends. Not all HOV lane's are the same. If your taking I-75 north through downtown you can ride the HOV lane in a motorcycle no problem.

But if your riding I-85 north (north of I-285) into SC that is a PEACHPASS lane and you will be photographed and mailed a ticket if you ride that lane without a peachpass. You'll see the Peachpass signs with digital prices listed for riding in that lane. That is not the case in the standard & free HOV lanes.

Since your coming up from the south in Florida my suggestion is to take I-75 to I-675 to I-285 East to I-85.

Typically riding through ATL between 10am - 3pm EST is no big deal.

ATLMAPII.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: