erabuds/ear plugs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have custom molded in-ear speakers. They're good for about a 20db decrease in "noise". Once I found Hearos with a rating of 33NRR that's all i wear. I have a Sena 20s and can hear it fine with my ear plugs (and a box of 200 plugs is $26 on Amazon (good for a year or two).

I love having the highest level of noise reduction and still be able to listen to music or the radio up to 70-80 mph without exceeding the available volume of the Sena. Life and riding in near silent conditions is really really good. Yes, I can still hear the police siren or ambulance, but I really do love the quiet. Just sayin..Baz

I set my volume for my earbuds when I'm at a stop. Usually, with my bike off. I limit how high I can increase the volume to avoid running the music so loud I end up doing more damage than good. I'm sure it's not perfect, but it's what I have.

Someguy asked what do I use?

I use 30 dB attenuating foam disposable ear plugs. My ear canals are particularly large, and the best I have found for me are E-A-R-soft Grippers. I got a box of 200 pairs on Amazon about 2 years ago and am only about 1/2 way through them. I do often reuse them for a couple of days, or until they get grungy. They used to be available uncorded, but now can only find them with the cords. I just snip them off before using as I dont like the cord dangling.

I find that I can hear stereo music and navigation prompts from either my ancient hard-wired Starcom1 helmet headsets or Sena SMH10 helmet headset just fine with the earplugs in. No problem hearing the engine or traffic. It is a little hard hearing someone speaking unless they raise their voice.

Is is hi fidelity audio? No. But its not horrible and keeps me entertained. Honestly, I listen to music less than half the time Im riding anyway. Usually only on longer, less interesting rides. The rest of the time the audio is just the GPS prompts and radar detector alerts.

Would the music sound better with in ear monitors? Yes, no doubt about it. But that is the trade off that Im willing to make to keep from damaging my hearing any further than it already is. When I want to really sit down and listen to some music I do that at home in an easy chair where there is no background noise to content with besides my wife. ;)

Think of being in a room filled with 100 people all taking at once, loud enough that to hear the person in front of you talking they'd have to raise their voice. But suddenly 1/2 the people in the room stop talking. The total decibels your ear is exposed to is reduced so that the person in front of you doesn't have to shout for you to hear them now. Get the entire room to stop talking and that person just needs to whisper for you to hear them.
This centerpunches my personal experience. When I converted to Sena 20s + Sena sm10 + Zumo550 + Sure se215, the Sures with foam tips didn't seal out wind noise very well. I ran with the volume on each device set at max to be able to hear the audio. I switched to silicone triple flange tips on the Sures and the outside noise was reduced greatly. Now volume set to high I find painful. A little lesson in how hearing damage can sneak up on you.

Also, RF1200 and https://www.amazon.com/Bohn-Skull-Cap-Helmet-Liner/dp/B00FOWSPPG

Does anybody else see the irony in using earplugs to block outside noise from the inner ears, only to substitute music, etc., in its place, delivered directly to the tympanic membranes? Both will damage hearing permanently. WBill
What matters here is the total SPL your ears are exposed to. (and how long the exposure lasts) If you reduce the amount of noise going to your ear by using earplugs, you don't need to have your music turned up as loud to hear it. Those that have helmet speakers for communication usually are not listening to it constantly. But if they were not wearing earplugs they'd need to turn up the volume to hear over the other ambient noise.
Think of being in a room filled with 100 people all taking at once, loud enough that to hear the person in front of you talking they'd have to raise their voice. But suddenly 1/2 the people in the room stop talking. The total decibels your ear is exposed to is reduced so that the person in front of you doesn't have to shout for you to hear them now. Get the entire room to stop talking and that person just needs to whisper for you to hear them.

This is what happens when you use noise canceling earbuds, or ones that just reduce outside sounds, you can lower the volume of your music and still hear it.

However you can be correct, as it's still possible for someone to listen to loud music and do damage to their hearing. But those that at least make attempts to reduce the total level of what they are exposed to are less likely to have damage done compared to those that do nothing.

https://www.isvr.co.uk/workplace/motorcycle-noise.htm

https://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/
The original post concerned the best way to listen to music (etc.) while wearing ear plugs. I presumed the poster wanted to use pugs to reduce the amplitude of the wind and other noise, and, thereby, be able to enjoy music or maybe speech signals better.

I have no argument with the quote above, but there are some other things we might consider.

Let's face it: motorcycle riding is inherently bad for our hearing. I have studied the matter of noise induced hearing loss for some time now, and I will try to be succinct. My only purpose is to informally suggest possibilities so we can keep riding and keep as much of our hearing ability as possible.

Noise in a helmet depends upon the characteristics of the head, the helmet and the motorcycle, and the speed of the wind. There are data reporting noise levels inside motorcycle helmets to range from around 90 dB (A) to about 110 dB (A). These are dangerous levels according to god old OSHA. Duration time of exposure is, indeed, an important factor, and for me, any duration of loud noise exposure is to long.

A 1996 article (you'll have to look it up) suggested that noise reduction devices such as those used by jet aircraft pilots reduced the ambient sound pressure in the helmet to somewhere around 70 dB (A), still very loud for sustained exposure. This article did not consider the sound pressure of any music or other signal above the ambient noise. OK, so noise cancellation devices seem good, but not great, for reducing ambient noise reaching the inner ear from outside the helmet.

However, now we are considering replacing aperiodic ambient noise outside the helmet with some other acoustic energy source delivered inside the ear canals. Jet pilots, of course, have to listen to signals form the ground and from other aircraft. I dom't think they use ear buds for that purpose.

For motorcyclists, ear bud sound, be it music or speech, may have a narrower frequency spectrum than the outside noise, but it still has energy in the sweet range of human hearing. It is amplitude (sound pressure level), not frequency, that destroys the delicate sensory cells in the inner ear, and if there dangerous sound pressure levels within that frequency range, the listener is going to suffer. There is literature that reported that experimental subjects listening to music through ear buds experienced temporary threshold shift ("TTS": no kidding). This could make the listeners' subjective sound sensation level decrease, causing them to gradually increase the sound pressure level through the ear buds to compensate. Whether the sound feels loud or not, the sound pressure is still there and that is what blasts the hair cells in your inner ear.

As for signal/noise, or figure/ground discrimination, that is a skill that is also subject to being diminished with inner ear damage such as that caused by noise exposure. It is the ability to pick out or discriminate a signal in the presence of competing "noise." I bet most of us already know that from the experience of trying to listen to the spouse and the TV at the same time.

BTW: the whole "decibel" quantity is not a fixed unit like feet or kilograms. The term decibel refers to the log of a ratio of quantities, and their magnitudes depend upon stipulation of a reference level. That's why I put the (A) after the quantities I reported from the literature. It indicates an OSHA sound level scale used for measuring noise levels in the workplace, adjusted to human hearing.

As for me, I'm wearing the best foam plugs I can get for my ear canals, inside the quietest modular helmet I can get. No ear buds for me! I listen to the music playing in my head. I don't use custom ear plugs because I'm too cheap, and I haven't been satisfied that an old pair of custom plugs is significantly better than a fresh pair of foam plugs. This might not work for you, and this is in no way professional advice.

If you have read all of this, you might consider that you have too much time on your hands! WBill

WBill, the only noise in my head are the voices telling me I missed a turn, or my ass hurts, or, I'm tired, or "Why are you doing this stupid long-distance ride?", or did I say something wrong to my wife/son/brother/Mom/friend/colleague, or will I make it to the next interchange without running out of gas, or how in the world am I ever going to retire, or man, am I hungry, or "remember that time 30 years ago when you were so fucked up drunk you almost got arrested?", or it is REALLY hot out here, or how many more miles to I-70? or now how many more miles to I-70?, or now how many more miles to I-70? or My name is Legion, for I am many.

Gotta have something else floating around in my brain, man.

Last edited by a moderator:
This centerpunches my personal experience. When I converted to Sena 20s + Sena sm10 + Zumo550 + Sure se215, the Sures with foam tips didn't seal out wind noise very well. I ran with the volume on each device set at max to be able to hear the audio. I switched to silicone triple flange tips on the Sures and the outside noise was reduced greatly. Now volume set to high I find painful. A little lesson in how hearing damage can sneak up on you.

Also, RF1200 and https://www.amazon.com/Bohn-Skull-Cap-Helmet-Liner/dp/B00FOWSPPG
Where did you get those tips. My Sures are good, but sometimes they could be better. I'd love to try that, and wouldn't know which ones will fit. I HATE it when the tips don't lock on well, and come off in my ear. So, I'm hoping you have a line on good ones.

Where did you get those tips. My Sures are good, but sometimes they could be better. I'd love to try that, and wouldn't know which ones will fit. I HATE it when the tips don't lock on well, and come off in my ear. So, I'm hoping you have a line on good ones.
Shure Flange Tips

For noise cancelling, I have tried my Bose 20's. They sample at the ear on either side and work OK but there are two downsides: They tend to fall out when you put on the helmet and they pop when you are in rough air (like following a semi on the highway). They also stick out, so while they are OK in my Neotech, they are painful in my C3Pro.

Shure Flange Tips

For noise cancelling, I have tried my Bose 20's. They sample at the ear on either side and work OK but there are two downsides: They tend to fall out when you put on the helmet and they pop when you are in rough air (like following a semi on the highway). They also stick out, so while they are OK in my Neotech, they are painful in my C3Pro.
Awesome! Thanks! I have a set on it's way here!