ERC Course on an AE with ABS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndaub

Reaction score
I was a bit worried taking my required ERC course (every 3 years to maintain the 15% insurance discount). I have read about too many people dumping their FJR's during this class. This is the first time I did it with my FJR. I was mainly worried about doing a whole day of slow speed maneuvers with the AE which I had not practiced. The instructors said that there are 3 ways to control the speed of a bike: throttle, brake and clutch. I pointed out that, while my bike has a clutch, the computer controls it so I only have 2 ways to control my speed. I was mostly worried about the tight U-turns they have you do but I had a lot of problems with the tight offset weave as well. I practiced the tight U-turns in the red box and could not do them very well. I never got good enough in the red box to try the blue box which was smaller. Of course, the exam at the end required the blue box. Under the pressure, I did my best U-turns of the day but put my foot down in the left hand one (-5 points) and crossed the line by a few inches in the right hand one (-2 points). The bottom line is that I passed (they allow 20 points off for the entire test). It should be noted that I have never had a car which could do U-turns in the boxes they expect us to do. Thanks go out to the Forum for all of the posts on how to control an AE in slow speed maneuvers (for those new to the AE, keep the revs up a little while controlling the speed with the rear brake).

It rained during the entire class so the instructors pushed those of us with ABS to be sure to engage them so that we know how they feel. It was pretty easy to engage the rear ABS. I finally got the guts to really hit the front brake and engaged the front ABS as well. After hearing many car drivers say how shocking it was the first time they felt ABS, I found that the FJR's ABS was no big deal.

I had been planning to have my crash bars on before this class in case I dumped it. As many of you know, after 3 months, the AE owners are just beginning to get their crash bars. So, I had to take the class "naked" (except for the sliders and my rain gear).

I never realized how much one uses their thigh muscles in controlling the bike at slow speeds. After a full day of slow speed work, the next day my thighs hurt so much I could barely walk.

Finally, when I arrived, there was a Gen I FJR in the lot. When I found out that it was a future ERC instructor named Bruce, I figured that it was Boogahboogah. So, when I see him I said "Boogahboogah". He looked at me like I was crazy. It turns out than there are two Gen I riders in Wilmington, DE and they are both named Bruce.

Congrats on passing your ERC. I have yet to do that but should. Maybe sometime this summer.

So how wide are the red and blue boxes you have to U-turn in? I've practiced and can pretty easily do it in a 18' box but maybe I should try to tighten up my turns?

Outstanding! :clapping: :clapping:

Took mine with the local Harley guys at a park and ride. I passed everything except the really tight right/left where I put my foot down too. Saw a 72 year old guy do it on his Somthin'orother Glide (really big) without breaking a sweat. OK, I can do this too if he can! So I did it.

The only fcuk up during the course (actually after it) was I took off down the parking lot, made the turn at the bottom while "looking up through the turn" and proceeded to crash at 5mph when I hit the sand/mud around the drain. So the Harley guys had to come and help me pick the big bastard up!

Well done!

Congrats on passing your ERC. I have yet to do that but should. Maybe sometime this summer.
So how wide are the red and blue boxes you have to U-turn in? I've practiced and can pretty easily do it in a 18' box but maybe I should try to tighten up my turns?

24' X 60' and 20' X 60' for Basic Riders Course

28' X 70' for ERC. But we make em do the 24' If you can do it in 18, then no problem for you.

Congrats So how wide are the red and blue boxes you have to U-turn in? I've practiced and can pretty easily do it in a 18' box but maybe I should try to tighten up my turns?

28' X 70' for ERC. But we make em do the 24' If you can do it in 18, then no problem for you.
Myzen is an instructor so must we believe? I would say it is more like a phone booth.

I have to take this course this summer as a requirement for the Air Force I am a bit nervous about "The Box" (so to speak) I guess I will se how it goes when I get in there.

Thanks for the measurements. Looks like I shouldn't have too much of a problem. Then again, I'm sure it's one thing to do it in while practicing in a parking lot and it's another to do it during a test!

Practicing before hand is the big thing. Now that you have the size, set up your own course.

The day I did it, a girl on a scooter went first and gave up. She could not do the box.

I went second and aced it.

Two Harleys riders after me [new riders] could not do the box. Neither had practiced so .....

Fifth guys on a BMW GS also aced it and with a lot more speed than I used.

There is a big church parking lot near my house. I go there every now and then to practice turns though I've never taken the ERC. Parking spaces are usually about 8 feet wide, so three of them is about 24 feet. The first few turns I can barely squeeze through but after a few runs I can get it down to well within the lines.

I figured out the brake trick the second time I took my driving test back in the 60s for zig-zagging the cones, but it is still very difficult for me on the AE. I usually end up entering the turn too slow, especially the first few tries. What seems to work best for me is to have the speed (and confidence) to enter the turn at a speed fast enough to coast all the way around, and apply some throttle at the very last few degrees. Shifting my weight to the outside helps a lot.

I've seen uTube videos of guys on big dressers just ambling around tight turns like they were walking. That never fails to impress me. Someday, maybe, with enough practice trips to the parking lot.

Congrats So how wide are the red and blue boxes you have to U-turn in? I've practiced and can pretty easily do it in a 18' box but maybe I should try to tighten up my turns?

Myzen is an instructor so must we believe? I would say it is more like a phone booth.
LOL!! to some it is a phone booth. The key here is to look towards the exit (not at the lines or the ground). The motorcycle will go where you nose is pointed. If you are looking at the line, you will hit the line.

When you enter the box, ride down the outer edge. When you get to the end, look (REALLY LOOK) back to where you just came from and turn the handle bars and lean the motorcycle. This will swing you around. As you approach that line, snap your head around and look towards the next exit. Keep the throttle nice and steady (2000 rpm) and modulate your speed with the back brake. Do not be afraid to turn the bars.

I also found it necessary to adjust most of the slack out of the throttle cable. The way the dealer had done it, there was a lot of play and it messed up my timing. Now I have minimal slack and it is much easier to anticipate where the clutch will engage/disengage.

I will readily admit, it took a lot of practice to get the box right. I do teach every other weekend so I get lots of practice.

I hope this helps.

By the way? How did you do in the "S" turn after the box?

By the way? How did you do in the "S" turn after the box?
I really could not do the S turn after the box in the amount of time we had to practice. Fortunately, it is not part of the evaluation or else I would have had another 7 points off. I must say that the U-turns, S-turn and the tight off-set weaves were difficult for me but I rarely need those skills on the street. The most useful stuff is the work on real world turns and braking.

There is a big church parking lot near my house. I go there every now and then to practice turns though I've never taken the ERC. Parking spaces are usually about 8 feet wide, so three of them is about 24 feet. The first few turns I can barely squeeze through but after a few runs I can get it down to well within the lines.
When I had a cruiser, I found it VERY easy to make u-turns (after some practice) within two parking spaces. I think I felt more confident with crashbars that kept the bike upright in the event of a lowspeed tipover and the low center of gravity so it seemed like less speed was necessary to keep it upright.
I have lots of practicing to do with the FJR when I get back home in a few months and then an ERC to take of my own. Just gotta feel comfortable with the higher gravity which, according to my limited knowledge of physics, requires a quicker speed at the same lean angle of a low center of gravity bike.

Alexi

...Just gotta feel comfortable with the higher gravity which, according to my limited knowledge of physics, requires a quicker speed at the same lean angle of a low center of gravity bike.

Alexi
Exactly the same lean angle, whatever the height of CG, at a given speed and corner radius. Can give diagramatic explanation if required.

What does change with CG height is the ease with which you can change the lean angle. With a higher CG there is more yaw (lean) axis angular momentum to overcome. I think this is what may give a lack of confidence, you don't feel as if you have as much control.

I've been fighting this for years. If I think about U-turns and the like, I struggle. If I don't think about them, they just happen. Trouble is, I almost always think about them.