Fall Mid-East trip, is my route feasible?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linc

Linc
Reaction score
Hey guys 'n gals,

So I'm planning a nice fall getaway after the crazy and mind numbing summer at my job, was originally going out West for 2 weeks but money and aforementioned job leave me only 8 days to travel. So here's the new plan, head out East from Michigan and connect family visits with a nice scenic ride through the Blue Ridge Parkway and Churahala Skyway, then back home. I'd appreciate any advice or info on my routing, time of the year, or places I'll be stopping if you feel like I'm way off.

Let me know if I'm crazy, traffic is downright stupid on any of my routes, and if 296 miles of the BRP on day 5 is a total joke and way too optimistic. Never been further east than PA, so pretty excited about this. :yahoo:

Thanks in advance!

Note: Bike will be setup with RDL heated seat and some type of cruise control, may have a passenger after day 3, still working that out.

Estimated trip: Thurs. Sept 27 - Thurs. Oct. 4th. Total mileage: 3,100

Day 1 Thursday: Northern Michigan to Youngstown, OH, I-75 to I-80 467 miles.

Day 2 Friday: Youngstown, OH to Farmington, NH I-80 to I-84 674 miles.

Day 3 Saturday: Farmington, NH to South Windsor, CT 495 to 290 to I-84 170 miles.

Day 4 Sunday: South Windsor, CT to Roanoke, VA I-84 W to I-81 S 594 miles.

Day 5 Monday: Roanoke, VA to Waynesville, NC Mostly BRP and side roads, 296 miles Google Map of Route

Day 6 Tuesday: Waynesville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN 74 to Moonshiner 28, then all of the Churahala Skyway 115 miles Google Map of Route

Day 7 Wednesday: Tellico Plains, TN to Defiance, OH 468 miles

Day 8 Thursday: Defiance, OH to Home 290 miles

Last edited by a moderator:
I just gots ta ax you, why Farmington, NH? We could help you do so much better if you are interested.

A couple comments:

Day 5- It's hard to make good time on the BRP. There are lots of opportunities for scenery stops and also the local law enforcement frowns upon brisk riding pace. I have some personal experience on that one.

Day 6- If it works out time wise for lunch, take Rt 28 south to Franklin, NC. Great little local restaurant in Franklin called the Sunset Restaurant(great hamburgers), and you'll be rewarded with a gem of a twisty road. After lunch you get to ride it northbound and continue on to Tellico.

Whatever you choose, you'll have a great time I'm sure.

I just gots ta ax you, why Farmington, NH? We could help you do so much better if you are interested.
Hehe, I know Ion... I'm still wavering on Farmington, but a good friend lives up there and was going to at least drop by for a visit and spend the night. He doesn't get many people "dropping by" up there in the corner of this fine nation. It's not really on the way at all, so it's a bit of a detour and wasted miles aside from visiting my buddy. I have to stop in CT to see my cousin, but if I delete NH I'm sure there's a better route. ;) Feel free to shoot me your re-calculation if you have a good one!

What is your objective on this ride? Just getting from point A to point B? Or are you looking for a fun ride in between?

It kind'a looks to me like you like big trucks. 'Cause days 2, 3 and 4 you'll be spending lots of quality time with them on the Interstates.

Those days do not look like too much fun to me. I prefer to take US routes or state roads (or better yet county roads) but you can't make 700 miles in a 12 hour ride day that way.

A couple comments:

Day 5- It's hard to make good time on the BRP. There are lots of opportunities for scenery stops and also the local law enforcement frowns upon brisk riding pace. I have some personal experience on that one.

Day 6- If it works out time wise for lunch, take Rt 28 south to Franklin, NC. Great little local restaurant in Franklin called the Sunset Restaurant(great hamburgers), and you'll be rewarded with a gem of a twisty road. After lunch you get to ride it northbound and continue on to Tellico.

Whatever you choose, you'll have a great time I'm sure.
FJReady, that's what I was thinking... slow, twisty road full of color tour bluehairs will probably destroy any semblance of a spirited drive. Not sure what to do about that day, I may skip some of the BRP on the above map and come down I-77 to 421W so I get a little closer to my destination on hi-speed slab with more time to enjoy the section of BRP I will be riding. Do you know if the part I would cut out would be great riding or not? Revised map here:

Thanks so much for the lunch tip, sounds like a great plan! Thats the kinda advice I was looking for... :D

Let me know if I'm crazy, traffic is downright stupid on any of my routes, and if 296 miles of the BRP on day 5 is a total joke and way too optimistic. Never been further east than PA, so pretty excited about this. :yahoo:
My cousin lives in TC...nice town.

Sure it's feasible. But I don't know you and I don't know how many miles you typically ride in a day. You've got several long 450-600 mile day rides chewing up asphalt. To some guys thats not a big deal to other guys after about Day 3 they might be feeling a bit worn out. I would just suggest you allow yourself wiggle room, play it by ear to some degree and just ride as much you feel comfortable.

Yes you can do 296 miles on the BRP in one day...especially since your doing that on Monday and not the Weekend.

My only suggestion with your route is Day 6 of only 115 miles. Your missing the most scenic portion of the BRP (Asheville to Cherokee), missing the Tail of the Dragon and a few other roads. When you leave Waynesville in the morning ride Hwy 276 south and connect up with the BRP, then ride the BRP to Cherokee, NC and then head over to Hwy 28. Also you might as well run the Dragon on 129 down to the lake overlook since your right in the area...plus being that it's a Tuesday you might have the road to yourself. Also once you get into Tellico Plains ride hwy 30/315 down to the Ocoee Lake overlook.

Day 6 (my revised suggestion which is only 250 miles)

I just hate for you to ride all the way down here and then miss out on some of the best roads.

"Day 5 Monday: Roanoke, VA to Waynesville, NC Mostly BRP and side roads, 296 miles

Day 6 Tuesday: Waynesville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN 74 to Moonshiner 28, then all of the Cherahala Skyway 115 miles"

Your Day 5 is a long day but it's a great road. Start early on a weekday and it shouldn't be a problem. I would change the route to include the BRP all the way to it's end at Cherokee NC. The BRP's highest point is not far from Cherokee and IMO the Asheville to Cherokee portion of the BRP is the most impressive. You're going to have a lot of available time on Day 6. The Cherahala Skyway is an awesome ride but its only 43 miles and almost all of it can be ridden at 60+. Be careful there are a couple of turns where riders regularly crash. (NC Mile 10 and right at the TN/NC line) I think there may be more deaths on the Cherahala than the Dragon. There have already been several this year. A route for you to consider on Day 6: 441 from Cherokee through the Park to Sugarlands Visitor center at Gatlinburg; then through the Park to Townsend; 321 to the Foothills Parkway; Foothills Parkway to 129; "The Dragon" to Deal's Gap; 28 to 143; 143/165 to Tellico Plains. That's an all day ride but its a ride you'll never forget.

The weather in late September is usually pretty good. You're be riding through before the fall colors are at their peak so the traffic shouldn't be too bad. The portions of your ride over 5000 feet will be cold, particularly in the mornings and maybe all day. Plan on clothing for everything from 90 deg summer riding to upper 30s sometimes on the same day.

"Day 5 Monday: Roanoke, VA to Waynesville, NC Mostly BRP and side roads, 296 miles

Day 6 Tuesday: Waynesville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN 74 to Moonshiner 28, then all of the Cherahala Skyway 115 miles"

Your Day 5 is a long day but it's a great road. Start early on a weekday and it shouldn't be a problem. I would change the route to include the BRP all the way to it's end at Cherokee NC. The BRP's highest point is not far from Cherokee and IMO the Asheville to Cherokee portion of the BRP is the most impressive. You're going to have a lot of available time on Day 6. The Cherahala Skyway is an awesome ride but its only 43 miles and almost all of it can be ridden at 60+. Be careful there are a couple of turns where riders regularly crash. (NC Mile 10 and right at the TN/NC line) I think there may be more deaths on the Cherahala than the Dragon. There have already been several this year. A route for you to consider on Day 6: 441 from Cherokee through the Park to Sugarlands Visitor center at Gatlinburg; then through the Park to Townsend; 321 to the Foothills Parkway; Foothills Parkway to 129; "The Dragon" to Deal's Gap; 28 to 143; 143/165 to Tellico Plains. That's an all day ride but its a ride you'll never forget.

The weather in late September is usually pretty good. You're be riding through before the fall colors are at their peak so the traffic shouldn't be too bad. The portions of your ride over 5000 feet will be cold, particularly in the mornings and maybe all day. Plan on clothing for everything from 90 deg summer riding to upper 30s sometimes on the same day.
I am going to almost completely agree with this, except that you will not get to enjoy the scenery aspect of the BRP as much if you try to do all of that in one day. It is possible, but you will find it alot of work to make that kind of time on that road. I would really try to break that into a day and a half on the BRP.

The best part of the BRP if you are on an FJR is the southernmost 135 miles, don't miss out on that. If you take the route suggested here you will get to hit the "Dragon" which is worth bragging rights if nothing else. On your route the part of the "Moonshiner 28" is actually the straightest least interesting part. The ride south to Franklin or north to Deal's Gap is pretty nice, the part you are on will be mostly wide open 4 lane. It's still nice, but... The road from Cherokee NC to Gatlinburg TN (441) is also a very good road, I would not want to miss it if I were you.

The route GeorgiaRoller chose is also very very good. You can't go wrong taking the Roller's advice on routing, he is a master at finding good roads.

I like it Linc - no issues. As Georgia Roller said, you are missing a lot of great riding in the area, but you could spend a month in NC and not hit all of the great roads. I would recommend taking Roller up on his offer to lead the way on Day 6, you won't be disappointed. Good luck and have fun!

Day 6 Tuesday: Waynesville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN
Tuesday October 2nd correct? Not sure if your interested or not but I'd be willing to ride with you on this day and show you the area. Let me know what you think.

I am going to almost completely agree with this, except that you will not get to enjoy the scenery aspect of the BRP as much if you try to do all of that in one day. It is possible, but you will find it alot of work to make that kind of time on that road. I would really try to break that into a day and a half on the BRP.

The best part of the BRP if you are on an FJR is the southernmost 135 miles, don't miss out on that. If you take the route suggested here you will get to hit the "Dragon" which is worth bragging rights if nothing else. On your route the part of the "Moonshiner 28" is actually the straightest least interesting part. The ride south to Franklin or north to Deal's Gap is pretty nice, the part you are on will be mostly wide open 4 lane. It's still nice, but... The road from Cherokee NC to Gatlinburg TN (441) is also a very good road, I would not want to miss it if I were you.

The route GeorgiaRoller chose is also very very good. You can't go wrong taking the Roller's advice on routing, he is a master at finding good roads.

I like it Linc - no issues. As Georgia Roller said, you are missing a lot of great riding in the area, but you could spend a month in NC and not hit all of the great roads. I would recommend taking Roller up on his offer to lead the way on Day 6, you won't be disappointed. Good luck and have fun!
Wow guys, that's exactly the advice I was looking for... thank you! :clapping: This is great, I was pretty sure the sections I chose on Day 5 & 6 would not hold up to scrutiny by a local rider. It totally makes sense why as a local I'll see groups of riders and touring bikes up in Northern MI on some of the dumbest sections of state road, when I know that 3 miles away is a scenic road with great curves that parallels the highway only way more beautiful. :eek:

Okay, so Roller, Redfish, TNMountains, and Bandit all more or less agree on Day 6 route alteration. And you all almost picked the same changes, fantastic! GeorgiaRoller, I like your Day 6 route much better, should it work out it would be great to ride with you for the day (or however long you can get away)! If all goes according to schedule (trip? Schedule? Haha) then that will be Tuesday October 2nd.

First I am jealous if you get to hook up with the Roller. If you have not already, read some of his threads for ride reports, pictures and videos. He does a fantastic job.

Second, I will be up there the week after you, we are planning tentatively to arrive in Robbinsville NC on the 8th. Even though I have been there several times, I am adding in a few things that I learned from the reports GeorgiaRoller posted.

I hope you have a custom seat for those high mileage days on the highway. Otherwise you'll get that fantastic "Monkey Butt" from the stock seat. Use this trip as a test to see if you need a Russell Day long. I did 600 miles on a stock seat on the slab = monkey butt. 800 miles on the slab to Tellico Plains on a Russell and I could have kept going! :lol:

You will love the BRP, Cherahola, Deals gap and start to wonder why we live in the flat midwest! :dribble:

Hey Dr, funny you mention that... I'm expecting delivery of my brand new loaded DayLong saddle 4 days before I leave. Even added the dual heat option for those cold mornings! <_< Good news, I'll have a comfier butt... bad news is I'll be breaking it in on the trip. Oh well, I'll be used to it by the end! Hehe

Hope the weather isn't snotty out east, that's the only thing I can't change. I don't mind a couple days of rain & sprinkles, but a solid week of wet and damp is not fun. :unsure:

Thanks for the note, looking forward to the trip and seeing a part of the country for the 1st time!

Please post a full and detailed report as soon as you return. You are supposed to return on the 4th, I am leaving for Robbinsville on the 5th. Good luck with the ride, I hope the new seat and everything else works well for you.

Any of you know how to deal with the inevitable "Road Closed" sections on the BRP? I've tried to ride it twice (in April, unfortunately) I got almost down to the VA/NC border but rain/fog and limited time availability caused me to rethink the trip and head home. Then this spring I was heading back from a visit to Atlanta and me up with the Road Closed somewhere just north of Ashville (mile marker 97 or so?). I think I've learned to avoid April, but I sort of remember getting some serious fog in October but that was rather late in the day which is to be expected for that area I think. Hope this doesn't count as off-topic.

Please post a full and detailed report as soon as you return. You are supposed to return on the 4th, I am leaving for Robbinsville on the 5th. Good luck with the ride, I hope the new seat and everything else works well for you.
Will do, very curious to see how the fall colors are the week I'm down there... I'll get a few pics up and hopefully a ride report when I return. :) I'll be staying at KOAs for most of the BRP area, not sure how that will work out but as a solo rider with a tight budget I figured under $30 a night for a site and shower isn't too bad! Time will tell whether I recommend that to others or not. Hehe

Thanks for the good word, I hope all the time and money spent on getting the bike ready pays off with a smooth and comfortable week!