Father Son Adventure - The Final Leg

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been to Colorado a few times as a kid, a few times as an adult, and now have a yearly ski trip to Breckenridge. Never have I witnessed the Colorado I saw in this trip. Once you go there, you wonder why you would live anywhere else in the world.

Dad and I no longer have any agenda or anyone to meet, so we have a little more flexibility. He is intent on running the million dollar highway, but based on the advice of some local forum members, I persuade him to start on the western part of the San Juan Skyway and then take Hwy 92 and explore the north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

We start on SR145 out of Cortez after we restock our ice and water (my dad's trailer, of course, has an ice chest) and pass through some of the most fertile green areas we have seen for some time.

A fantastic place to live, potential summer home :rolleyes: :

100_6035.jpg

The ascension to the mountain begins quickly. Before we realize it, the snow is upon us and we are over 10000 feet. It gets pretty cold and it is snowing, so we stop to put on all the clothes we have. Seriously.

Dad in his impenetrable suit:

100_6054.jpg

Dad and I negotiating the snowy mountain passes:

100_6061.jpg

100_6072.jpg

100_6080.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3722.jpg

We hit SR62 and head east toward Ridgway. Beautiful rolling hills with a mountain backdrop. Oh...and a river, we have a river:

100_6101.jpg

100_6091.jpg

100_6110.jpg

100_6114.jpg

100_6124.jpg

Once at Ridgway, we take a quick break and then head up US550 and then US50 until we hit SR92. This road is twisty madness...too bad it is raining. The photo ops were still outstanding though:

100_6131.jpg

100_6138.jpg

Looking down at the Morrow Point reservoir:

100_6139.jpg

Great shot of our bikes with the canyon in the background:

100_6155.jpg

How did I get the shot? Getting down is always the tricky part. :p

IMG_3739.jpg

Another shot of the reservoir:

100_6171.jpg

The curecanti needle:

100_6177.jpg

Dad pondering our existence:

100_6181.jpg

ME pondering our existence:

IMG_3743.jpg

The black canyon was amazing and regrettable because of the rain. It looks like a very challenging road with little traffic, so I will have to come again to put my humble skills to the test. We head back toward Montrose for the night. While looking for a place to camp, I come across a few peculiar sights...

The dog looked so uncomfortable on the back of the horse, but never moved a muscle:

100_6186.jpg

Huh? A one arched Mcdonald's? What is the deal there?

100_6185.jpg

Colorado, thus far, did not disappoint. Beautiful, unmoving mountains, black canyons, twisty roads, snow and rain. What else could you ask for?

NEXT: Atxrider takes a detour, Dad takes a nap.

MORE LATER...

Last edited by a moderator:
When you do go back to black canyon there is a campground in the bottom of the canyon that you can access from the south rim. it doesn't have much (toilets, hose spigot) thats about it.

But the road! the road down to the bottom is something else even if you don't stay you'll never forget the ride.

Thanks again for the rr. great ride!

Amazing pix. You really have a great eye for the scenery. I've been to all the places in your pix and you captured perfectly the essence of the places.

I can't wait till my young boys are old enough to take a trip with me. Congrats on making the journey and taking time out while you are young and without kids.

While peering over the edge of the Black Canyon, I gave forum member Pinhead (Dave) a call and talked to him a bit about the area roads. He recommended I do a loop including SR149 and SR114. I talked to Dad and we planned a tentative route that had me splitting up with him at Pagosa Springs and doing the loop, then meeting up with him in North New Mexico.

The next day, I woke up early in Montrose and took a long shower. By the time I got back to my tent, it was pouring rain. Hmmmmm. Not good. I checked with my Dad and we decided to just stay another day rather than put up our gear in the rain. By 1 pm, the rain had cleared, and I decided to make the loop while Dad took it easy. Good decision.

I go west on US50 and hit SR149 on the edge of a lake. Here I am at the intersection. You can see US50 running the edge of the lake to the right:

100_6187.jpg

The scenery on SR149 was nothing short of breathtaking. It starts with long, sweeping curves with close quarter sights:

100_6199.jpg

And moves to mountains and their passes:

100_6206.jpg

100_6207.jpg

Then onto rolling hills with ever present mountains in the backdrop:

100_6213.jpg

100_6226.jpg

100_6232.jpg

100_6235.jpg

Another potential summer home:

100_6246.jpg

I see a few rocks near the end of SR149:

100_6249.jpg

Odd sign. No, I did not go down the scary dirt road to check it out.

100_6250.jpg

At this point, I hit South Fork and head west to US285 and go north until SR114. SR114 was more of the same. Tumbling hills and more mountains. I did see alot of trees growing out of the rocks. This particular one came up straight through the center. Not sure if it actually split the rock or not. Cool.

100_6258.jpg

Another beautiful twisty river:

100_6273.jpg

Man, what a fantastic view of my bike. The background isn't bad either

100_6276.jpg

100_6279.jpg

100_6281.jpg

When I had come to withing 20 or so miles until the end of SR114, the road and scenery changed pretty drastically. Big crusty sandstone rocks, a river, tight turns....twisty madness. I have not one picture to show for that last thirty minutes of that road. I was having waaaaaaaaay too much fun. Simply awesome.

I finish the 350 mile loop and get back to camp around 8 pm, feeling satisfied and excited to look at the pictures I had taken. Thanks Pinhead. Next time I am in your area, I owe you a beer.

NEXT: Chasing the million dollar dream.

MORE LATER...

I awake the next day knowing wondering if the million dollar highway will be in anyway lessened by the incredible beauty we have already witnessed on this trip. In a word...No.

100_6290.jpg

I have heard some people say the real scenery does not begin until you hit Ouray. I wonder if they were on the same road:

100_6299.jpg

100_6304.jpg

Ouray looks like a town for exploration. Maybe we will stay here when we come through next time.

100_6306.jpg

100_6312.jpg

Here I am, opposing view from the town:

IMG_3757.jpg

We ascend very quickly...straining our necks trying to take in the incredible vastness.

100_6313.jpg

100_6324.jpg

A flat spot in between passes:

100_6334.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

Dad carving it up:

100_6337.jpg

100_6358.jpg

The remnants of a small mining community lay ahead of us. We stop and take a few pictures.

100_6348.jpg

100_6349.jpg

There is a park bench under me in this picture:

IMG_3778.jpg

Dad descending:

100_6353.jpg

A beautiful river shot...could not resist:

100_6364.jpg

Silverton is a very small, but colorful town surrounded on all sides by mind blowing white capped mountains. The only paved road in the main one...everything else is dirt. Most of the little shops were closed while we were there, so we settled for a cup of coffee in the local gas station.

IMG_3784.jpg

100_6369.jpg

100_6371.jpg

As we leave Silverton, my dad confesses how much the town intrigues him. I think it is a place where he could spend some time in the summers with Mom when she retires. Cool.

We make our way to the final pass...great 360 views from this one:

100_6375.jpg

IMG_3790.jpg

100_6379.jpg

100_6382.jpg

A few more shots moving downward into Durango:

100_6389.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

Pagosa Springs seems like a good place to stop for the night. We find a nice RV camp right on the Blanco River. It is run by a 70 year old Frenchmen named Michell. Man, talk about stories. To sum up: two lengthy war tours, a career with an oil company, early retirement, winters in Phoenix, summers in Pagosa Springs. This is a guy you want to have a few beers with...BTW, the place was spotless.

A ranch outside of PS. Frontrunner for summer home choice:

100_6403.jpg

The campsite:

IMG_3801.jpg

The million dollar highway certainly does live up to its name. Although Utah was the biggest surprise of the trip, the MDH was probably the winner for white knuckle enjoyment.

NEXT: The long, dry, dusty ride home. Oh, and the Taos loop.

MORE LATER...

...my dad confesses how much the town intrigues him. I think it is a place where he could spend some time in the summers with Mom when she retires. Cool.
NOW you're onto something! Talk them into spending some time there so you can go visit ... and check out more potential summer homes. ;)

I'm thoroughly enjoying this epic ride report. Thanks!

Absolutely awesome photos and a great ride report. I'm one of probably many who are at a place in their lives and in circumstances where we won't have an opportunity to make this ride. Your effort to post up is a gift to us. Thanks.

Great report! What a cool deal getting to take a trip like that with your dad, you will have those memories for the rest of your life. I love Colorado, rode just about every 4-wheel drive mountain pass in SW Colorado as a kid on a Honda XL70. I will be in Silverton with the FJR this July and these pix are really getting me fired up!

The trip was drawing to an end...and the enchanted loop near Taos, NM was last in our sights. The San Juan mountains beckon as we hit US64 going east.

Splotches of snow still covered some of the mountains, but it was melting fast as it was 75 degress and rising. According to my father, there was a lot more of it when he came through at the beginning of this trip. Snow or no snow...US 64 is a great road.

100_6409.jpg

100_6411.jpg

100_6420.jpg

IMG_3805.jpg

As we are nearing the loop, my father pulls into a rest area. I pull next to him and realize we were looking at the Rio Grande gorge. Wow.

100_6425.jpg

100_6426.jpg

We start the loop on SR522 and head towards SR38 and Red River. So far, so good:

IMG_3809.jpg

Some interesting pastel colored sandstone in this pic:

100_6429.jpg

Red River. Nice little ski town, we pull in for a cappuccino.

100_6433.jpg

The remainder of SR38 and US74 towards Taos is a nice treat...although the Taos traffic is ridiculous.

100_6438.jpg

100_6443.jpg

100_6444.jpg

100_6449.jpg

100_6455.jpg

Overall, the enchanted loop was a definite must see. I think it may of been tainted a little after Utah and Colorado (my dad mentioned it was better the first time around).

We continue on SR518, a road full of sweepers and odd speed limitations. Seems like out of the blue it would be 40 mph for no apparent reason. Could it be the large number of elk that pose a problem? No idea, but we did not take any pics. I think we were photoed out.

The most direct route home is the road we choose from here on out. US285 all the way to Fort Stockton...the portion between Carlsbad and Fort Stockton is particularly cruel. Straight, flat, desert and temperatures of 108 degrees. B-O-R-I-N-G. We pitch tents in Stockton and make it to Austin early the next afternoon.

After we take showers, we stare dumbly at the TV set for a while and then say, "Where to next?"

Nuff Said.

Regards,

Davy

When you do go back to black canyon there is a campground in the bottom of the canyon that you can access from the south rim. it doesn't have much (toilets, hose spigot) thats about it.
But the road! the road down to the bottom is something else even if you don't stay you'll never forget the ride.

Thanks again for the rr. great ride!
Cool. We seriously thought about it...but it was raining and we had heard the road was gravel. Perhaps we were misinformed?

Amazing pix. You really have a great eye for the scenery. I've been to all the places in your pix and you captured perfectly the essence of the places.
I can't wait till my young boys are old enough to take a trip with me. Congrats on making the journey and taking time out while you are young and without kids.
Thanks Hudson, I appreciate the compliment. I always feel a little slighted, never quite capturing what my eyes are seeing. I a new to photography, and may have to invest in a good quality SLR with a wide angle lens. Hope your boys will appreciate this as much as I do.

This is just too good. Having fun following along.
B)

Wow....what a trip Davy...really enjoying your pictures....
Thanks. I finally finished it...and it only took 3 days. Glad I am not working yet, otherwise who knows when it would have been done.

...my dad confesses how much the town intrigues him. I think it is a place where he could spend some time in the summers with Mom when she retires. Cool.
NOW you're onto something! Talk them into spending some time there so you can go visit ... and check out more potential summer homes. ;)

I'm thoroughly enjoying this epic ride report. Thanks!
Haha. The summer home thing is more of a joke really. But you are right...why do I need to buy one if my parents already own something in Silverton?

Absolutely awesome photos and a great ride report. I'm one of probably many who are at a place in their lives and in circumstances where we won't have an opportunity to make this ride. Your effort to post up is a gift to us. Thanks.
Glad I could be of service...but I truly hope you can see it with your own eyes one day.

Great report! What a cool deal getting to take a trip like that with your dad, you will have those memories for the rest of your life. I love Colorado, rode just about every 4-wheel drive mountain pass in SW Colorado as a kid on a Honda XL70. I will be in Silverton with the FJR this July and these pix are really getting me fired up!
Enjoy Colorado. We certainly did. And post a ride report!

We know that it's a lot of work putting one of these reports togeather and we do thank you for your time and for taking us along.
Thanks Niehart, it really is fun putting the reports together, not at all like work. Glad you enjoyed it.

atxrider, I have not seen better stuff in any cycle magazine. That was awesome, thanks.
Thanks for the compliment flyball. Cheers.

Davy,

What a great report! My wife Iris and I are planning alot of the same roads and places in about two weeks. Thanks for the pics. It's a great way to look forward to our trip. Excellant job. and I'm glad you were able to share it with your Dad.

Jim

Davy,What a great report! My wife Iris and I are planning alot of the same roads and places in about two weeks. Thanks for the pics. It's a great way to look forward to our trip. Excellant job. and I'm glad you were able to share it with your Dad.

Jim
You have great trip ahead of you, enjoy it.

Great report!
Do you have a gps file of the route you could share?
Afraid not Auburn. I do not run GPS at this time (maybe someday). Our mileage total was around 4,000 or so. The great roads were mentioned in the report...if you want specifics for a route...feel free to PM me and I will give you some recommendations.

Regards,

Davy

Great ride report. I really enjoyed looking at your pictures. Pinhead and I try to make that trip through Utah (Grand Staircase-Torrey-Escalante) once a year. Looking at your pictures makes me a bit antsy to get out there! Amazing what is right out our backdoor! Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts