Father Son Adventure - The Final Leg

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great ride report. I really enjoyed looking at your pictures. Pinhead and I try to make that trip through Utah (Grand Staircase-Torrey-Escalante) once a year. Looking at your pictures makes me a bit antsy to get out there! Amazing what is right out our backdoor! Thanks for sharing!
Hey! Sorry I missed you guys on my way through...my dad and I were moving pretty steadily. Hopefully, I will be up there sooner than later...maybe we can share a meal if I do.

You certainly are lucky to live in such an amazing area. Great riding is a stone's throw away, I am envious (we do have the Hill Country, but not quite as epic). Glad you enjoyed the report, but the scenery made it easy. Tell pinhead I said hi and thanks for his advice.

Regards,

Davy

...maybe we can share a meal if I do.
Your treat, right? :p

You are so lucky to be able to do this with your Dad. My Dad had a lot to do with getting me into riding. In fact, the first time I ever visited the Gunnison area was about 25 years ago with my Dad on a trip similar to yours. My Dad was on an 80's Goldwing pulling a trailer, I was on an Interceptor 500, and my Brother was riding his Nighthawk S. I ended up crashing in Taylor Canyon, about 30 miles outside Gunnison. I'll never forget that trip. I moved here 5 years after that.

Dave

You are so lucky to be able to do this with your Dad. My Dad had a lot to do with getting me into riding. In fact, the first time I ever visited the Gunnison area was about 25 years ago with my Dad on a trip similar to yours. My Dad was on an 80's Goldwing pulling a trailer, I was on an Interceptor 500, and my Brother was riding his Nighthawk S. I ended up crashing in Taylor Canyon, about 30 miles outside Gunnison. I'll never forget that trip. I moved here 5 years after that.

Dave
But of course. You get the beers. :p

I hope my brother gets an FJR soon...looking forward to some long distance riding with him as well. Still thinking of changing your scenery?

Regards,

Davy

But of course. You get the beers. :p
Funny you should mention that. At the exact moment you posted, I was buying another visiting forum member a couple of beers. My treat? Always! (Much to my wife's dismay. :( )

As for my change of scenery, I'm giving it another year to see how things unfold. I'd really like to stay since, after almost 20 years, I'm unfit to live anywhere else. ;)

When you do go back to black canyon there is a campground in the bottom of the canyon that you can access from the south rim. it doesn't have much (toilets, hose spigot) thats about it.
But the road! the road down to the bottom is something else even if you don't stay you'll never forget the ride.

Thanks again for the rr. great ride!
That would be the East portal rd.

Great report.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I'm a little late, but, wow, beautiful pics and story! What an awesome time you must have had. I can't wait 'til my wife and I are doing the same.

Gunnison, what a beautiful area. You are very blessed to be living there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really glad someone posted to this thread and got in in the "new post" area. Absolutely breathtaking pictures. By far one of the best ride reports I have seen. My brother did a ride out through that area last year and broght back amazing pictures. A westwrad trip for multiple weeks is definitely on my bucket list. thanks for sharing!

That would be the East portal rd.Great report.
Thanks. I plan on hitting it next time.

I know I'm a little late, but, wow, beautiful pics and story! What an awesome time you must have had. I can't wait 'til my wife and I are doing the same.
Gunnison, what a beautiful area. You are very blessed to be living there!
I wish I lived in Gunnison...but I was lucky to be able to visit. The riding options are endless.

Really glad someone posted to this thread and got in in the "new post" area. Absolutely breathtaking pictures. By far one of the best ride reports I have seen. My brother did a ride out through that area last year and broght back amazing pictures. A westwrad trip for multiple weeks is definitely on my bucket list. thanks for sharing!
I am glad the report was resurrected myself. I enjoyed pouring through it again. In case you missed the link in the beginning, here is the first part of the trip:

Western US Trip

Regards,

Davy

I am glad the report was resurrected myself. I enjoyed pouring through it again. In case you missed the link in the beginning, here is the first part of the trip:
Western US Trip

Regards,

Davy
Again, all I can say is wow! I saw the link at the beginning of the thread, but forgot to go back. Just went through it. My father wanted to visit the Grand Canyon, but passed away two years ago. All he ever got to do was fly over it. Awesome experience to have with your father. Something to cherish for the rest of your life. Thanks again for sharing it with us.

Bob

Great photos, I am more of a flat lander. I would want to ride through rather than above. I am considering a trip that direction.

Latest posts