Favorite Communicator Uclear, Sena, Cardo, GMRS, What?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Cardo SHO1.

Pros:

Sleek and fits the Shoe Neotec really well since it is designed for it.

Does not add any wind noise to the helmet

Battery lasts for a nice long day with music playing and occasional intercom.

All the features you would expect from the others. Works well.

Voice sound quality is very good. People don't even know that you are on a bike going down the highway. They say it sounds like a good speakerphone.

Cons:

Speaker wires are delicate. I have had to replace the speaker set twice in two years.

Can't get a warranty repair in USA. You have to send it back to where you purchased. (I found it easier to buy a spare and use the parts to swap than do another warranty claim)

Speaker sound quality is average for music at best

Expensive

Bike-to-bike comms? Easy- 1 or 2 fingers. Thumb and pinky extended = break/drink time. Point at gas tank = need gas. Middle finger extended = either a) try to keep up douche bag or 2) nope, I ain't going down that path. The voices already in my head are all the intelligent conversation I need when riding.

Sena 20S. It was great, then it was shit, now it's great again. Took a while to sort the music/phone/GPS. Fuze earbuds.

Interesting detail emerged this weekend. Girlfriend was on her own bike, but we were chit-chatting. She passed a slow moving truck but I was unable to. After a few minutes, she was a football field ahead with the truck blocking her from my line of sight. Sena comms got sketchy -- it's digital, so it's all-or-nothing. When I maneuvered to get the truck out of the way, everything came back just fine,

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info. I'm waiting for the first company to automate this through iPhone and android. Eliminating any extra product for those of us that wear monitors. I've come close to buying something, just to be able to answer calls.

Good info. I'm waiting for the first company to automate this through iPhone and android. Eliminating any extra product for those of us that wear monitors. I've come close to buying something, just to be able to answer calls.

Exactly what do you mean by Automate?

My Sena automatically pairs with both my GPS and my Android phone,

the APP on the Android makes changing Sena settings simple and visual.

I play Music and Podcasts from my phone through my headset.

I can dial my phone using voice or by pressing buttons on my GPS.22

Not sure what else you need or want "automated"

Had Scala G4's and G9's and as others have stated, little in the way of updates and their customer service.....wasn't!
weirdsmiley.gif

I just bought a Sena 10U for my Schuberth C3Pro and it is awesome! Connects right up to my Garmin Zumo 590, my Samsung S5 phone and paired in about 5 seconds to my riding bud Greg's Sena 10C (also awesome by the way!). Do you know how long it would have taken to do the same thing with the Scala's........forever!!!!!
punk.gif

I echo the Sena's accolades. I've owned a pair of SMH10s since they were introduced and have used them heavily. I have had a few problems - sometimes pairing was slow or frustrating and the brass pins have suffered damage. I recently bought an 20s for dirt cheap from Amazon and I am wishing I had of bought it sooner. The pairing is instantaneous. The compatibility is industry leading. The FM works just fine. The features are endless (but it's an 80 page manual!). And the speakers are amazing! I read from a few sources they were sub par or no better than the 10s but I couldn't disagree more. They have terrific bass, abundant volume and are crystal clear for the intercom.
No complaints for this unit thus far.

When I was building houses, we had sprint phones that worked like mobile radios...push to talk devices, Direct connect is what it's called. I don't see why that isn't possible now through our helmet speakers and chin mics with any smartphone. Unlimited range as long as you're in cell zones.

That's just it, we're not always in cell zones but we are usually in Bluetooth range, especially when the system Daisy chains all the participants so you can talk front to back of a long column

i have one of the original Uclear setups. Its been real good. I mainly bought it for being able to answer my phone while riding to and from accounts at my old job. I also like the ability to listen to music as well. I had to mod the "ear pocket" in the Neotec for the speaker/mic to fit perfect, No big deal. I have a S10 in the garage just sitting there to be installed. Ill get around to it one day, maybe.

By automate, I mean use the resident Bluetooth of the phones for comms, eliminating the need for an external device to process/send/receive comms. Meaning that in addition to all the other Bluetooth conversations my phone has with devices, from TPMS to fitbit, my phone would be able to link with other phones via Bluetooth for audio conversations. Performing the same function as an NCOM or Sena, using existing (phone) hardware and software rather than a freestanding unit. Easier to picture if you reference that I use in-ear monitors rather than a rechargeable Bluetooth device like NCom or Sena. And Phil- I remember well the brief period when Nextel was king.

By automate, I mean use the resident Bluetooth of the phones for comms, eliminating the need for an external device to process/send/receive comms. Meaning that in addition to all the other Bluetooth conversations my phone has with devices, from TPMS to fitbit, my phone would be able to link with other phones via Bluetooth for audio conversations. Performing the same function as an NCOM or Sena, using existing (phone) hardware and software rather than a freestanding unit. Easier to picture if you reference that I use in-ear monitors rather than a rechargeable Bluetooth device like NCom or Sena. And Phil- I remember well the brief period when Nextel was king.
So are you going to run a wire from you phone to the headset? Something will be required to power your in helmet application.

Wife and I have had the Sena SMH10 units for 4 years now and still love them. Ours have survived rain in amounts that some folks would be building an ark for. We generally get 10-12 hours of use with the intercom channel constantly open. Love the ability to use while charging. Had one unit that was sketchy when new but customer service fixed that right up. Coworker has the Scala G9 and he and his wife hated them so bad he removed them. He had issues with one unit falling off the base multiple times. He's now trying the new Nolan units that fit right into the Nolan helmets.

Earlier I said that I use SENA, and I do. I also combine the SENA with a SENA mixer which allows me to use either a GMRS or CB. I usualy listen to the CB when riding a long day where there are truckers so I can get updates on 'smokies' and traffic, and I use GMRS when riding with other people who have GMRS.

Just recently went with UClear. We used Cardo Scala something or others for years until they just quit working. Sound was just ok at best for those. Music was really crappy.

The UClears are really awesome as far as music goes. I bought the set I have now from someone on here I believe and they had upgraded to the more expensive speakers and they do make a world of difference. I'm about half deaf and I can hear the music just fine, no problems with volume at all. So far so good. Like Uncle Hud with his brand I did have a trial and error as far as when and how to hookup cell and gps. But once I got the sequence down and what can hook up with what I like it!

Had Scala G4's and G9's and as others have stated, little in the way of updates and their customer service.....wasn't! :weirdsmiley:
I just bought a Sena 10U for my Schuberth C3Pro and it is awesome! Connects right up to my Garmin Zumo 590, my Samsung S5 phone and paired in about 5 seconds to my riding bud Greg's Sena 10C (also awesome by the way!). Do you know how long it would have taken to do the same thing with the Scala's........forever!!!!! :punk:
Strange, I have 7 helmets (3 mine and rest of my family) 6 equiped with Cardo products (G4, 3xG9, SHO1, SRC) and all works well. Some had "child problems" at the begining but after some firmware updates works good and are very reliable in every condition. There have been some learning curve on my side how to pair and in which order, had some issues with SHO cablling (replaced under waranty) but I now can not say anything bad about Cardo products.

another vote for Sena.

Had the 10s for years. When the battery started losing its ability to hold a charge, I called Sena and I asked the CSR if I can buy a new battery.He sent me a replacement battery for free, good for a few more years. I hear the 20 has more features but for my small group the 10 works fine.

Good sound, easy to learn, very durable. Oh, and awesome customer service.

I just got the 20S for the girlfriend and me 2 weeks ago. Lot's of confusing features to learn. My biggest gripe is that the music is too quiet on max volume. FM Radio is plenty loud when I can get it.

I´ve been using Cardo Scala Rider for some years now and I´m very satisfied,

Started with G4, upgraded to G9 and when I bought my Shoei Neotec a couple a years ago I upgraded to SHO-1.

Works greate with cellphone and GPS, never had any problems.

Latest posts