First Long ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don2334

Reaction score
Sunday I was able to go on the first long ride on my FJR. I only went about 200 miles and the bike is AWESOME. I think the only thing I need is a more comfortable seat and maybe a cruise control. I do have one question for the forum and that is, how can I tell if my bike has been lowered? I ran into a rider on a BMW and I was telling him that I can't get it up on the center stand. He showed me how he does it on his bike and it popped right up. Then I tried it on mine and couldn't get it. He tried it too and couldn't get it up either. I can only get it up with a 2x4 under the wheel. I probably won't use the center stand much but it sure would be nice if I could use it when I want. The only thing I can think of is that the previous owner had it lowered.

Don

take a look underneath at the linkage arms attached to the shock. If they are kouba links they'll be labeled.

FYI my FJR ('05) is the hardest bike to get on the centerstand of any bike I've ever owned; worse that my GL1500 which weighs quite a bit more.

re: a seat; I have a Corbin and it made both me and my daughter have sore butts after about 2 hours. check the forum here, the Russel seats seem to get the most positive reviews.

I just checked the linkage arms and there aren't any markings so it must not be lowered. I only weigh about 170 lbs so I guess I will have to use a 2x4.

Don

The thing's a real bitch to get on the stand. I about threw my back out the first few times, but now I have the technique down. Make sure to wear a boot with a sole that doesn't flex. On this bike you really have to use your weight on the stand and lift/pull-backward in one motion.

My bike was lowered 1" by the PO and I use the center stand every evening when the bike is in the garage (nothing was cut when bike was lowered, just new dogbones-the linkages). She's a big girl and definitely requires a technique to get her up on the stand, but it can be done. I'd have someone stand on the other side for safety support and spend some time working on the mechanics of it. It takes a firm push down on the centerstand footpeg while also pulling back and up (more pushing down than pulling really...for me at least). Make sure both of the centerstand's feet are touching the ground before trying.

Edit - +1 on the bag's contents...pull the anvils out before trying. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the last post that the technique seems to be more of a push down with the right foot than a pull up. The first couple of times I tried I thought it was impossible. I found that pushing hard with the right leg and keeping the right hand close to my body works best. I am 5' 10" and 180 pounds and don't have any trouble getting the bike up on the stand. However, I asked someone to work with me on the other side of the bike until I figured out the technique.

Also check the front forks, the tubes should be nearly flush with the top of the triple tree. That has been another method to lower the bike. After you get the suspension upgraded, it will get a lot easier. And if you put a Car Tire on even easier yet. :p

Another usefull ingredient to getting it up, on the centerstand, is to make sure that you are in neutral. I have too much body weight but it helps to have 230 pounds pressing down on the stand while lifting with your right hand and pulling back with your left. Practice, practice, etc.

The centerstand is all in the right foot pressing down hard on the centerstand, not lifting the bike up and back at the same time. Just get it moving backward and press down hard.

Also if your dogbones are black I would bet they are not original but the ones you can get on ebay for lowering. I think normally people that lower the rear this was will also slide the front forks about 1/2" up to level things off. Somewhere on here there has got to be some measurements for the original dogbones for you to check.

Being that I'm recovering from ACL reconstruction on my right knee I've found having the fuel tank near empty makes a huge difference.. at least it does for my leg that has an atrophied thigh muscle.

It is hard to get this bike on the center stand. It is all technique though. I've found it's all in the right foot/leg. Push down hard putting all your weight while gently lifting with your right hand - steadying the handlebars with your left hand. Practice, practice, practice. There are times when it's easier than others. Level ground with no slope is must also. Feeling particularly strong helps too LOL.

Sunday I was able to go on the first long ride on my FJR. I only went about 200 miles and the bike is AWESOME. I think the only thing I need is a more comfortable seat and maybe a cruise control. I do have one question for the forum and that is, how can I tell if my bike has been lowered? I ran into a rider on a BMW and I was telling him that I can't get it up on the center stand. He showed me how he does it on his bike and it popped right up. Then I tried it on mine and couldn't get it. He tried it too and couldn't get it up either. I can only get it up with a 2x4 under the wheel. I probably won't use the center stand much but it sure would be nice if I could use it when I want. The only thing I can think of is that the previous owner had it lowered.

Don
The key to the center stand is making sure both legs of the center stand are touching the ground before you try to set it up. I press the centerstand down and push the bike away from me until I feel both legs firmly touching the ground. I will almost feel like you are pushing the bike over. Once you have the legs touching it should be relatively easy to simply press down on the center side and it should lift right up. A nice smooth motion with one hand on the hand grip, the other in the grip by the seat and a press of the foot. It really isnt a matter of strength, the set up is oh so important. If you try to lift the bike while 1 leg of the center stand is only touching it probably will be next to impossible.

You want a hard bike to put up. That would be a C10 Connie, however once you have the technique down then it is a snap. The FJR is a snap compared to the C10.

HTH

Willie

welcome Don, as new FJR owner

I probably won't use the center stand much but it sure would be nice if I could use it when I want.
almost never use it myself except for wheel, air filter or tank raising maintenance work;

(even change oil/filter on the side stand here, but have it down pat).

Last edited by a moderator: