FJR added to the stable!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiefblueman

Reaction score
After looking at every FJR I could find for 2 weeks, I found a great bike. :yahoo: It's an '05. Awright you gen 2 guys, can we still be friends? I'm telling you, it's hard to tell it from new. The PO bought it new and has pampered this thing. Features are:

19k miles, Corbin seat, Heli risers, factory top box with backrest, heated grips, Dale Walker Holeshot header and cans, PCIII with Dales map, wired for gps, battery tender, came with complete original exhaust, new PR2's. Even got the liners for the saddlebags.

One of the gen1's I rode previously cooked my inner thighs and I was concerned about fixing this on a gen 1. When I test rode my new baby today temp was in the 80's, heavy traffic. NO heat whatsoever. I rode an '06 and a new '12 under similar conditions, this bike was easily as heat free as the gen 2's I rode. This was a big factor in my decision to own this machine. This bike was also the smoothest running one I've ridden, including the '12 with 1 mile on it. The DW exhaust is a little loud but what a sweet sound when you nail it! DB killers are on the way. The only negative is the stock wind screen. I've been searching here for opinions on the "best" screen, kinda like asking about the best oil :unsure:

Looking forward to being a member here and maybe even meeting up with some of you. Also looking forward to making this bike my own as I did with my gen 1 FZ1, which I kept btw. Oh yeah, my wife likes it too. She's the reason the FJR came about, now she can ride along. Wow, guess I'm a little pumped!

Great, glad you found a good gen 1. Heat was the big issue as far as I was concerned with Gen 1 and it apparently was hit and miss for some reason. You apparently got a good one!

Nice that your wife wants to ride with you. When I got back into riding, I first wanted an FJR and wanted my wife to ride with me. She took one look at an FJR and said she wanted a Goldwing Trike. Maybe it's an age thing, LOL.

Welcome aboard.

Ken

Congrats on the new bike! I bought a 2005 bike exactly 1year ago with only 3,800 miles on it and it looked brand new as well. I've been very happy with mine with 12,000 more miles on it now, no heat issues either and runs as smooth as silk. I think you'll be even more happy with your purchase as you put more miles on it...plus you didn't break the bank either. Win-Win situation.

Enjoy! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm really happy my wife is willing to try this. When we got together many moons ago, I had an '86 Fazer 700. First time I took her for a ride I whacked the throttle and wheelied to impress her. Scared her and she hasn't been aboard since. That was 20+ yrs ago. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Took a trip to Colorado to visit friends, rented a BMW 1200gsa and we had a great time, she actually enjoyed riding! We tried riding on my FZ1 but it's quite uncomfortable for her. Seeing as how I bleed blue, I sprang into action and voila, more blue bikes in the cave! This time I won't try to impress her with my mad hooligan skills.

This just goes to show the old used car salesman's adage is true.

There is an ass for every seat, or in this case 2!

Enjoy the new ride!

Hey man, glad you found your way over here. And for reference, we Gen II guys don't mind you Gen I folks, it's usually the other way around that there's angst. ;)

Gen I or Gen II, it doesn't matter as long as you found the Motorcycle that works for you.

Although Gen II's are bette.....Ah never mind. :p

I never got involved in the which gen is better thing over at fz1oa, they are very different machines. I prefer the gen1 FZ to the gen2 lookswise and ergonomically. The 1st and 2nd gen FJR's seem more similar to me than the FZ's. Either one would have been fine for me. The gen1 does feel a little more athletic with less weight and lower gearing. The gen2 is a little more relaxed at cruise and has an ambient temp display ;) Realistically, the newest gen1 is 7 years old and you need to be careful choosing one, but in the battle of a good gen1 vs gen2 nobody loses. BTW,the'05 is KING!

Been searching the site for windshield recommendations, kinda like looking for the best oil. Any input is appreciated though. Ordered some DB killers from Holeshot today. The full system could use a little muting.

I've owned two Gen I FZ1's myself. For a lone bike in the garage, the Gen I rules. However, if I put another FZ1 in my garage, it's going next to the FJR, so a Gen II it will be. With a full on sport tourer, I'll take the sportier of the FZ1's myself.

I enjoy the bickering, it's a little fun, but dang, some of those Gen I FJR guys are fanatical. :D

Hey man, glad you found your way over here. And for reference, we Gen II guys don't mind you Gen I folks, it's usually the other way around that there's angst. ;)
+1...Yes! Its very one sided. Me a Gen 2 owner welcomes you to the fold and hope you enjoy the fantastic machine.

Bill

+1...Yes! Its very one sided. Me a Gen 2 owner welcomes you to the fold and hope you enjoy the fantastic machine.

Bill
It's lonely up on top. And to be right all the time.