FJR curious

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a brand new 2014A out the door $12.1k
Looks like you're riding it like you 'stole it'. I see they put helium in the front tire too.
coolsmiley02.gif
That's my stunt double riding a (Cycle World) loaner lol

I was serius
I tried in the past all 3 generations of FJR and didn't find big difference at all ( apart heat from GEN1)

this week I also tried the new 2016 and found the new gearing simply fantastic, your GEN3 is now an old bike like my GEN1
smile.png

Until u don't have the money to buy the new one, in my opinion there is nosense to buy a used or seminew GEN3
I have owned two Gen1s and currently own a Gen3. I loved my Gen 1s and would have no problem riding them as my primary bike. But my 2013 FJR has definite improvements in my mind. The ABS has improved dramatically over the years, throttle by wire and all associated with that, and less windscreen buffeting, improved instrumentation, heat fix, etc are all improvements that actually mean something to me.

We have some twisty roads by me, and all across this great land, and I have never, ever, EVER in my 12 years riding FJRs said in the back of my mind, "Damn, I wished they'd fix this gearing". EVER. Nadda.

So, I am happy for El Toro Joe to get his 2016 Gen 3...and I am sure he will love it, once it stops snowing up there. But to not buy a 14 or 15 because it doesn't have 6 gears is nonsense.

But, I have no problem you feeling that way...because we are all FJR owners and love this great bike.

The deciding factor for me was the color. I would have still bought the bike with the 5 speed transmission, that I was use to on my 06. I can definitely tell you this...the six speed does not hurt the bike at all.

6 gears will quickly wear out the toe of your favorite riding boot. With only 5 gears, I get 16% longer life in the toe of my boot.

And if ODOT got a 2016 ... holy cow, I can't imagine how hard he'd have to count.

Last edited by a moderator:
6 gears will quickly wear out the toe of your favorite riding boot. With only 5 gears, I get 16% longer life in the toe of my boot.
My concern is left ankle damage. I mean it. This could be serious! Do you understand how many extra times per year these 6-speed owners will have to rotate their left ankles? Depending on how many miles per year they ride it could easily be thousands of extra ankle rotations. I see, not only increased boot toe wear, but also increased ankle joint problems for these terribly unfortunate 6-speed owners .... and the ensuing medical bills!! The horrors!

If u consider improvement traction control, electronic suspensions, ABS, slipping clutch, LED lights ecc ecc u are right but remember the engine and the frame still the same for all tree first generation so the bike riding is quite the same.
I suggest to u to try the new one (Does In U.S. dealers let u try it for free?) then u maybe change ideas

sorry for my english
@lele -- If you mean the engine is still 1298cc then you are correct. However, from a GEN I to current, there are many, many incremental improvements to the engine including cylinder finish, fueling and fuel delivery, oiling and transmission just to name a few. Yamaha has not been sitting around letting the platform get stale.

Please don't misunderstand, I love FJRs and any generation FJR is a fantastic machine. I'm on my forth ('04, '06, '09) and have thoroughly enjoyed each one!

--G

Well, been doing my research. I'm looking for the newest Gen 3 my budget will allow. Like I originally posted, 12K OTD is my hard ceiling so this probably means finding a killer deal on a '13. I'm in no rush as I have to sell the camper and a couple of other toys to swing this and I haven't broached this subject with she who must be obeyed either.

Anyone want to buy a 2007 Fleetwood Cobalt?

Well, been doing my research. I'm looking for the newest Gen 3 my budget will allow. Like I originally posted, 12K OTD is my hard ceiling so this probably means finding a killer deal on a '13. I'm in no rush as I have to sell the camper and a couple of other toys to swing this and I haven't broached this subject with she who must be obeyed either.Anyone want to buy a 2007 Fleetwood Cobalt?
I bought a stock '13 with 7k miles on it 18 months ago for $10k

2014_Yamaha_FJR1300_wheelie1.jpg
Every time I'm confident in my decision to pick up one of the new, blue '16 models with the six-speed trans., someone has to post a pic of that beautiful '14 red and make me take a pause...

2014_Yamaha_FJR1300_wheelie1.jpg
Every time I'm confident in my decision to pick up one of the new, blue '16 models with the six-speed trans., someone has to post a pic of that beautiful '14 red and make me take a pause...

Same thing happens to me every time I go out into my own garage. (That could be you, too)

FWIW - I didn't just look at it today. Went on a ~250 mile tag ride in the clear and sunny (though never breaking 50 degrees) weather we were blessed with today.

Well, I went to my local Yammie dealer yesterday and sat on a '16 FJR. I have a short inseam, 29", so seat height is always an issue. They put the seat in the low position and it wasn't too bad. I'm used to tippy toeing bikes. The problem is that when my feet are on the ground, the foot pegs are in the way. I think I need to go back and try the ergos again. It might not work.

I think you can get a custom seat that lowers the seat height an inch or so.

My concern is left ankle damage. I mean it. This could be serious! Do you understand how many extra times per year these 6-speed owners will have to rotate their left ankles? Depending on how many miles per year they ride it could easily be thousands of extra ankle rotations. I see, not only increased boot toe wear, but also increased ankle joint problems for these terribly unfortunate 6-speed owners .... and the ensuing medical bills!! The horrors!
RoXXanne has a six speed. I don't know what Honda was thinking: it'll go from zero to "good morning, your honor" (90+) in first gear.

What a waste of gears!

To the OP: Best of success in your search and the decision. You know, just because you have a 'hard ceiling' of $12k doesn't mean you have to spend that much. Many of us have been quite pleased with non-virgin bikes!