FJR curious

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I went to my local Yammie dealer yesterday and sat on a '16 FJR. I have a short inseam, 29", so seat height is always an issue. They put the seat in the low position and it wasn't too bad. I'm used to tippy toeing bikes. The problem is that when my feet are on the ground, the foot pegs are in the way. I think I need to go back and try the ergos again. It might not work.
Be patient. I'm 5'6" with a short inseam as well. My first thought when test riding and sitting on the FJR was...'this thing is like sitting on a hippo'. Tippy toes are a 1/2 inch dream away, I'm literally a ballerina. I also found myself leaning a tad more forward than I would've thought. Since you're like me in stature, I can imagine it's less of the seat height, and more of the width, that's giving you issues. That said....my test ride was a crappy 1.5 mile loop around the 35mph block on a 2015. I did everything I could to break the rules, whip the clutch, stab the gas, swerve, etc, etc and I couldn't get my fix. If you can coerce the dealer into a test-ride, make it a longer one, and I truly believe that you'll be happily surprised. Why you even give a "sport-tourer" a 1 mile test ride still baffles me. Needless to say I didn't buy my bike there.

Aside from the 3min test ride, I had never rode one. I DID HOWEVER, love the bikes handling, power, and features.

I purchased a 2013 with 12k miles for $8500, and had money to put on a GIVI top case and rack, buy a Sena 20S, and I haven't spent the rest yet
smile.png
I won't be looking back anytime soon. PS - I haven't found a need to upgrade the seat. I'm comfortable with the limited reach and don't find the footpegs to be in my way. I may however purchase some bar risers to make the reach more favorable, other than that....I'm planning my first two-up trip with the wife in late May (~1200 miles of curvy greatness) through the VA and NC mountains. And I can't wait to take this thing through Deals Gap....that will likely be the only time I adjust the clickers....otherwise, I don't even think it's necessary to have the electronic stuff...just another creature comfort of the 14+. Just imagine all the cool things you can buy with $4k.

Howdy neighbor, there's a wealth of FJR knowledge here.

Go'in after a gen III is the best idea; unless yer a lazy bastard like me, and get an auto clutch. :luzer:

Flat footing is over rated, even though I'm 5' 11" w/ a 32" inseam, in the summer I jack the rear up so high, I'm tippy toe'in. Also, I know an Asian feller (NoGall) who removed them rubber grommets under the seat, thus lowering it a little more.

Those look like exactly what I want but a bit of a long fly and drive as I'm in Ca.
And then there's the problem of registering a new, 49-state vehicle in California...
Good point, be'in in the golden (Shower) state, you can only buy an outta state bike if it has 7,500 mi or more.

Not entirely true, is it?

My understanding is that you can only register and title a 49 state vehicle in California if it has more than 7,500 miles on it.

How many miles it had when you bought it is not really important. So if you buy a bike out of state, get a temporary tag from the state of origin, ride it how ever many miles it needs to reach 7,500 miles, and then have it inspected and VIN certified to be over 7500 miles before registering it you should be all set.

Are all FJR's only 49 state or did they make a 50 state version? If it's a 50 state version, then the 7500 mile rule does not apply.

Are all FJR's only 49 state or did they make a 50 state version? If it's a 50 state version, then the 7500 mile rule does not apply.
Parts finder on Bike Bandit shows 4 different FJR models for the '16 - ES and A, and two of those have a "C" modifier behind them - smells like CA-specific models to me.... but this has probably been covered on the forum somewhere before.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only 50 state version is the one they sell in CA. The other 49 states will not refuse you from importing one. ;) But they don't sell the CA version anywhere but in CA. It has a bunch of added emissions crap on it (that does not do anything significant)

So I need to find a '13 with 7501 miles on it in order to get it registered in Ca.

The other option is to ride it stealthy until I have 7501 miles on it.

FWIW

I bought my 2007 (used) from someone who bought it from a dealer in Connecticut.

It is a California model (charcoal canister and extra plumbing). I by-passed the canister because it caused running problems after being parked in the hot sun.

Not entirely true, is it?
My understanding is that you can only register and title a 49 state vehicle in California if it has more than 7,500 miles on it.

How many miles it had when you bought it is not really important. So if you buy a bike out of state, get a temporary tag from the state of origin, ride it how ever many miles it needs to reach 7,500 miles, and then have it inspected and VIN certified to be over 7500 miles before registering it you should be all set.
Dunno, recon you could do that? Butt I'm kinda simple; I bought a bike from a Nevada resident, and signed the title over into my name. As soon as I did that they wanted me to register it in the state. As I recall he kept his own license plate, so I had to register it quickly. The bike had 8K mi. so I was good, butt still spent two long, hellish, dreadful hrs at the DMV. They looked at all the serial numbers on the frame 'n engine, under the seat, the stamps on the exhaust... It was exhausting!

I think the best way 'round it is to have a residence, friends family in another state then register it there?

Dunno, recon you could do that? Butt I'm kinda simple; I bought a bike from a Nevada resident, and signed the title over into my name. As soon as I did that they wanted me to register it in the state. As I recall he kept his own license plate, so I had to register it quickly. The bike had 8K mi. so I was good, butt still spent two long, hellish, dreadful hrs at the DMV. They looked at all the serial numbers on the frame 'n engine, under the seat, the stamps on the exhaust... It was exhausting!I think the best way 'round it is to have a residence, friends family in another state then register it there?
Ugh.... California sucks haha

Also, if'n you get a 2013, the cruise control is limited to 80 mph. (The '14s, 15s and 16s cruise is unlimited.) That prolly wouldn't bother me nun, cuz anything more is a recipe for a performance award 'round here.
sad.png

I just realized who you are. I ride with Terry and the rest of the North Bay posse.
How many other Banjoboys do you know?
wink.png

P1050567.jpg

Dunno, recon you could do that? Butt I'm kinda simple; I bought a bike from a Nevada resident, and signed the title over into my name. As soon as I did that they wanted me to register it in the state. As I recall he kept his own license plate, so I had to register it quickly. The bike had 8K mi. so I was good, butt still spent two long, hellish, dreadful hrs at the DMV. They looked at all the serial numbers on the frame 'n engine, under the seat, the stamps on the exhaust... It was exhausting!I think the best way 'round it is to have a residence, friends family in another state then register it there?
Ugh.... California sucks haha
Yeah it does, butt we got sum great weather 'n roads.

___7.jpg

Also, if'n you get a 2013, the cruise control is limited to 80 mph. (The '14s, 15s and 16s cruise is unlimited.)...
Still limited to about 100mph in third, 112 in fourth and fifth. At least the UK variant.

Yea 80mph cruise limit doesn't bother me at all. Above 80 and you're asking for a special certificate...plus if I'm doing that, I have no problem keeping my wrist on the gas.

Yea 80mph cruise limit doesn't bother me at all...
You are a victim of your location
smile.png
There are places west of the Mississippi River where an 80 mph cap is way too low. In some places the posted speed can be 80 mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was riding from Seattle to Salt Lake City last year and I-84 in Idaho has a posted speed limit of 85 mph. I spent most of that part of the ride in the triple digits with my MC Cruise set.

I would consider an ST1300, there are several new in crate 2012 models available sell for as low as $10,000 with 3 year Honda warranty. If you bought one your cool factor and intelligent level increases dramatically. Besides these FJR guys are known to be pretty wierd.