FJR Loyalty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rider_FJR

Reaction score
When it comes to owning a motorcycle, there are many options to choose from. I would think that owning a BMW GS or Yamaha Super Tenere would be an ideal bike, because it can go anywhere, short trips, long trip, two up, highway and back roads. There are so many roads in Alaska and Canada, that FJR simply should not be on. But, somehow FJR owners love their FJR and when a new model comes out, they get it.

What are some of the top characteristics that make FJR such a great machine? A machine that is somewhat limited from GS or Super Tenere.

Price?

Simplicity?

Ruggedness?

Ease and low cost of maintenance? (as compared)

In-line 4 cylinder wail?

You are comparing two different types of motorcycles. An adventure-touring motorcycle isn't my idea of the best overall bike.

There are a lot of roads in places other than Alaska and Canada that an FJR travels every day. Why would you want to hypothetically compare an FJR to an adventure bike when the two are designed for totally different riding environments? You can ride either in any place. But the FJR shines in it's environment and the adventure bike in its briar patch (literally).

You own a 2007 FJR according to your info. I would think you could answer your own question. Why don't you just sell it and buy yourself that adventure bike after which you are obviously lusting?

Well the FJR is for me all I want from a bike. Though I've got me still a cruiser (Suzuki C90T) and a crotch rocket (Suzuki GSX R750), those two bikes are special and single purpose bikes. Coming back to the FJR, it surely is a street bike and I would have a hard time thinking of going pure off road with her, but she can take a gravel and field road, that's for sure.

The characteristic of the FJR wanting to keep for as a type bike for good are

Low RPMs,

Super strong engine with enough ump,

Almost fail free,

Very reliable,

Nice looking on top of it,

Good ergonomics for me 6'4" 34" inseam,

Great price, compared to the BMW or Kawasaki,

All in all an all rounder, which lets me go low in twisties, fast when I want it and comfortable to haul arse for 300+ mile stints.

V

RPK

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that owning a BMW GS or Yamaha Super Tenere would be an ideal bike, because it can go anywhere, short trips, long trip, two up, highway and back roads.
Like you, I had the misconception that the GS would be an ultimate go everywhere do everything bike. So I bought one equipped with the premium package (things like electronic suspension adjustment, traction control, selective ABS, onboard computer, etc) in 2009 and rode it in the rotation with four other bikes. I put about 4000 miles on it before deciding that the test ride was over.

I traded it in 2010. I did not like it at all and would not buy another one. It was one of the least comfortable bikes I've ever owned, and in spite of it being sort of set up as an adventure bike, it was heavy off road, it was underpowered on the road, and it was set up with tires that were a serious compromise for just about any kind of riding you want to do. Not great on the highway. OK on fire roads. Truly lousy off road.

For me, the highlight of that bike was the luggage system. I loved the expanding panniers for commuting. I will say that it handled well on twisty nicely paved rural roads, but not as well as my supermoto.

If I could only have either an FJR or an R1200GS, I'd pick the FJR every time. As it is, I'm not limited to just one bike, but even when several bikes can be owned, an R1200GS is not on my list.

How about the Super Tenere? I dunno ... I'd probably buy a KTM Adventure 990 first.

Plenty of punch, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound and does most everything else pretty darn well...

I'm on number three so far, there will most definitely be a number four!
grin.gif

--G

There are so many roads in Alaska and Canada, that FJR simply should not be on.
How often do you ride on those roads in Alaska and Canada? I have a S10 and I would say that as long as I also have an FJR there are way more roads in the US that the S10 simply should not be on.

Around 3 years ago, I've visited Alaska on my FJR, it was an amazing trip. But, I was limited from visiting some of the places that most people recommended, because I didn't think that FJR would handle, or maybe me not being able to handle it. Such places as: Dawson City, Chicken (Highway 9 and Highway 5), Denali Highway (Highway 8), Highway 4 (North of Watson Lake).

Around 3 years ago, I've visited Alaska on my FJR, it was an amazing trip. But, I was limited from visiting some of the places that most people recommended, because I didn't think that FJR would handle, or maybe me not being able to handle it. Such places as: Dawson City, Chicken (Highway 9 and Highway 5), Denali Highway (Highway 8), Highway 4 (North of Watson Lake).
I think you could have gotten real close and rented an adventure bike for those roads. Then you can jump back on your FJR to enjoy 95% of the rest. Just a thought!
grin.gif

Every tool for every use. If you don't have the cash for the extra tool.....you make do with what ya got. Then ya start putting on hand warmers and cig lighters and heated clothing.....then it all goes to shit. Then you want a place for your iced coffee and heated muffin. Then you call up some dude in kalifornia and you can spend all you want to get what you want.

Every tool for every use. If you don't have the cash for the extra tool.....you make do with what ya got. Then ya start putting on hand warmers and cig lighters and heated clothing.....then it all goes to shit. Then you want a place for your iced coffee and heated muffin. Then you call up some dude in kalifornia and you can spend all you want to get what you want.
You can get all yah want..

at

Alice's Restaurant!

The last time I rode to Alaska we made a side trip up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik. The FJR would not be my first choice if I were to do it again but it would probably be an improvement over the full dress 89 Venture Royale I rode on that trip. I think tires are far more important than then the bike they are attached to.

You are comparing two different types of motorcycles. An adventure-touring motorcycle isn't my idea of the best overall bike.

Bingo! Ditto for me.

I briefly owned a BMW R1200GS. A very nice bike, but too many compromises for me.

I'm like you. I want an Adventure bike but I wouldn't give up my FJR to have one. Right now I also have an Aprilia SL1000 Falco. I love that bike but I wouldn't keep it over the FJR either. I want to add a dual sport and a Ural to the stable next. Each bike has it's own place. Since the day I bought the FJR I find I ride it more than the others.

To me there are two options.

1. Sell your FJR spend $18k+ on a GS Adventure and call it good.

2.Keep the FJR but also buy a KLR 650 and enjoy both worlds.

Reality is that the GS is a huge bike and is actually very challenging to ride off road. Ever try to pick up a bike,loaded with gear that weighs 600-700+ pounds. Not a good time in my book.

Its a well known proverb but the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I like my because I can ride it everyday as a commuter bike and at the same time take cross country rides with no problems :)

The cost, comfort, reliability and power are also a plus :)

Slightly different comparison, but since I don't need both hands to count the times I've had tires in the dirt....

Ten years ago, my bride and I went looking for an ST1300. As luck would have it, we were a couple months too early.

On the way out of the showroom, The Missus sat on the rear seat of a Wingabago. The smile on her face said most of it, her voice said the rest: "give me the car keys, I'll meet you at home!"

The Hondapotamos is pretty hard to beat for 2-up comfort, especially for a couple of 60-something retirees. I almost feel like I'm cheating when I do IBA rides. No complaints. Except...

Except that the Wing is bigger & heavier than it needs to be for a few hours of fun. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy every mile.

But there is still a 20 year old inside this 60 year old body, a kid who'll enjoy having 300 pounds less to toss around on the way to Julian for pie.

Both bikes are low-maintenance, dependable and good for comfort and fun. My bride, who endures physical pain every day, loves the back seat of "Rose", the '02 Goldwing.

But when I want a bit more 'sport' in my 1-up riding, it'll be fun to have the option. (I'm buying Beemerdons' Miss Lucy). Along with the functional farkles to fit my 6'3" creaky frame.

One of each, please!

I've owned both an FJR and a KLR 650 since 2009. They make a great pair, but I always thought of selling both and getting a GS or an S10. When the S10 came out (2011?) one of my buddies bought one and let me ride it. It was ok, but gave up way to much on the street and it seemed way to heavy for me off road. I will stay with the two bike solution.

Latest posts