FJR not what is cracked up to be

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to everyone for their opinion and suggestions. I was very frustrated last night when I put the post out there and knew I was going to get some slack. Just to clarify a few things; I love the concept of the FJR; if I did not have this wobble I would not be out here complaining about the bike. To correct the wobble I had with the stock tire replaced and rechecked; I adjusted the suspension to insure it was equal, I have not had the head bearings checked as this should be done this weekend. My real frustration lies in the fact this is a new bike with 6k on it and shouldn't need these adjustments already.

I do want to clarify that I did not ever say the FJR was a POS; just right now my FJR is a POS. I have not had the chance to ride another FJR; when I was messing with the low RPM hesitation I did start and see the same issue with a new FJR but did not take it out for a spin.

Thanks again for all of the responses; I will let everyone know what the dealer says on Saturday.

I have yet to have a bad experience with Yamaha new or used and agree with SkooterG.My experience with Yamaha is that they will stand behind their product in or out of warranty if it is a serious issue.Go with Orangevales idea.Find another 06 and ride it.If you got a bad bike then go back to Yamaha.No company wants to be taken to the legal system over product liability.Personally I think you have a tire issue because past experiences have taught me that my head wobble experiences have all been tire or steering head related.A bad tire can still be in balance with a broken belt.Take the time to take the wheel off yourself and find someone that laces wheels.Have the tech check to see if your wheels are true.A few millimeters off can make a huge difference in ride.Are you still riding on the OEM tires after 6k?My personal choice in tires is either Pirrelli or Michelin.If it is still bugging you to dump it then do so.There are lots of good choices out there like the Ducati ST,Triumph ST and even Harley has its good points.Just be prepared to triple your spending if you get the Harley.

Last edited by a moderator:
FUZZY BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't be the first one with a trunk/suspension induced wobble issue. Patience-taken me 3 years to get Frank exactly the way I wanted him, for the first time in my life, I have a bike that is perfect in every respect I can imagine. Well, there is the lack of acceleration from 150 up, but I heard about this tur...................

No, really I am not. I am so frustrated with this bike it sickens me. My last bike was an 03 Meanstreak and other than the accessories I added the only thing I had to do is change the oil and the tires and ride. This bike is so tempermental it is ridiculous.
check the steering head bearings for the "wobble". i can assure you that every bike i've had can do this if the shb isn't properly torqued and many a report has been made about gold wings arriving from the factory with them under torqued. it's so easy you can do it yourself and save the cash. but sicne it's still under warranty, take it in. the problem is most shops will hit it with a hammer and chissel instead of using the proper spanner and a torque wrench. again, this isn't just yamaha dealerships.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/shb/shb.html

I have never experienced this with any of my other bikes.
what kind of bikes does that list include? heavier bikes with fairings and bags act differently in these areas than dirt bikes, sport bikes, nekkid bikes, etc. (which all act differently from each other).

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to what Bounce said, taking it to the dealer under warranty is the right idea. However, many of us around here have had bad experiences with dealers. Don't be surprised if the roblem doesn't get resolved by them, this is not a Yamaha thing it's unfortunately universal. If you are not comfortable wrenching on your own bike stick with us, you'll have the whole thing taken apart in no time. :lol:

I am sorry to hear you have a lemon for an FJR.

I have an 06 and it does not exibit any of the traits that your bike does.

I have had it on two long U.S. tours and the only thing that went wrong during those trips was one of the code lights flashed on and 2 seconds later it went out.

i never figured out what it was.

That was on my 2006 trip and the light has never came on again since.

I like my FJR very much, it is not perfect but it meets the expectations that I need out of a sport touring bike.

I do not think there is any bike out there that is the end all of motorcycles.

I also have a Suzuki TLR and some people hate those bikes, but mine runs great and a load of fun to ride.

Being a motorcycle is like being President, you can't make everybody happy.

I hope the dealership can figure out your FJR's issues, if not maybe it's time to give the new Connie a try, or a BMW if you have the cash.

IMG_0896.1.jpg

Heet,

sorry to hear you're having problems. I have an 06 that I bought new in Hilliard. I live over in Dayton, but my office is on 23 south of Deleware. I ride in once a week or so. If you like, I'd be happy to meet up with you and compare rides. I have never had wobble with mine. It came with 020s that I put 9000 miles on. Changed them out last week at the EOM in Lewisburg to 021s and then proceeded to rip the *ss out of East River Mountain. Never a wobble.

Wildman

also, forgot to add. I often ride 'sans hands' down the exit ramps to rest my throttle arm. not sure what speeds i decel thru, but i've never had any wobble doing that either

Wouldn't be the first one with a trunk/suspension induced wobble issue. Patience-taken me 3 years to get Frank exactly the way I wanted him, for the first time in my life, I have a bike that is perfect in every respect I can imagine. Well, there is the lack of acceleration from 150 up, but I heard about this tur...................
"... to get Frank exactly the way I want him..." You do mean, "Frankie", as in "Francine", right?? :unsure: It's a pretty commonly known fact that all FJRs are female (perhaps even most bikes, though not all as some are complete SOBs.). I mean, come on, look at the bust line on these bikes (those headlights!!), Does anything about this bike say, "I'm really a guy in drag"?? :p

Other than a leaky water pump at 3000 miles right after I bought it...not a single problem.

My handlebars do sometimes vibrate when I take my hands off, but my front tire is shagged and cupped and generally needs to be replaced...but I'm lazy and will do it this winter.

If you can't get it sorted out, dump it. Or wait for the Gen III that is hopefully coming in '09 or '10.

I know how you feel Heet! I got a pretty good headshake on my 2006 FJR too on the ride home from the Black Hills in June. I decided that I would never again leave the MCCruise control engaged while riding 125 mph in a cross wind in South Dakota with side cases on, trunk and back seat loaded with gear. I keep it below 100 mph now in those conditions.

I smoothed out the initial throttle snatch on the bike by doing the Barbarian jumper mod, modifying the O2 settings and relaxing the throttle spring. Never needed a PCIII. The bike has never stalled or surged on me since and I can actually do tight turns at low speeds without dropping the bike (OK, there was that time I fucked up and hit the driveway curb).

I wanted a BMW R1200RT before I test rode the 2005 model and watched the windshield shake while sitting at idle. Still a hell of a nice bike at speed. Just couldn't justify dropping the extra $5K on it. Then I test rode a 2005 FJR and found a 2006 model FJR at a local dealer. I have never looked back. I used the resources on this website and made a few changes. Is it the perfect bike? No. That hasn't been built yet. Is it a great bike? Hell, yeah!

Thanks to everyone for their opinion and suggestions. I was very frustrated last night when I put the post out there and knew I was going to get some slack. Just to clarify a few things; I love the concept of the FJR; if I did not have this wobble I would not be out here complaining about the bike. To correct the wobble I had with the stock tire replaced and rechecked; I adjusted the suspension to insure it was equal, I have not had the head bearings checked as this should be done this weekend. My real frustration lies in the fact this is a new bike with 6k on it and shouldn't need these adjustments already.
I do want to clarify that I did not ever say the FJR was a POS; just right now my FJR is a POS. I have not had the chance to ride another FJR; when I was messing with the low RPM hesitation I did start and see the same issue with a new FJR but did not take it out for a spin.

Thanks again for all of the responses; I will let everyone know what the dealer says on Saturday.

You might also want to check the tire pressure if you have not already done so, i had some dunlops put on at eom and got wobble, only to find out i had a leaking vavle stem, once changed, and air up back to no wobble....

Oh and stradas equaled no wobbly either, but the orig bridgestones wobbled, because they just did...

Is there a Lemon Law for bikes????

I too have an '06-A and you definitely are NOT talking about my bike.

I find it funny that the mechanic who test rode your bike could find nothing wrong and it is so obvious to you.

All dealers don't know the FJR that well and maybe yours is not that experienced on these bikes.

From all the people on this forum who are agreeing with you ----- I think I would look farther at "YOUR" bike and find out "WHY".

I had a new '73 Kawasaki 750 triple, the infamous H2 Widowmaker, and if a forum existed then, I would have been posting some very panicked and confused comments about that particular treasure. Everything was weird but zowie, it went like a rocket. I was young and stupid and loved the speed. Now, I'm old and.....

I love my 05, probably the best all around bike I have owned and have no wobble or steering issues at any speed.

Heet, you just may have a POS bike, or a bad setup, since so many of us are very happy with our rides.

Dooooodddd

Change and adjust the suspension, CHANGE the setting, not just make them equal.

Did anyone mention a Throttle Body Sync yet?? Help alot w/the vibs too if it is out.

stuff

I have never had wobble with mine.
Not necessarily replying to you Widlman.

Am I the only one that thinks the wobble is just natural to the bike? Mine will do as this guys, it will put itself into a tank slapper if your not careful when decelerating and hands off the bars, but just touch the bars with one finger to steady them and it will quit. I thought I'd read somewhere on this board some handle bar wobble while decelerating from 50 on down was to be expected with this bike? Am I wrong?

And yes, I checked everything... suspension set equal and readjusted. Raised the front end and shake the fork side to side, fore and aft. It's not loose. Replaced tires (did the wobble with the original Metz and the 020's on it now). Re-balanced the front tire. The only thing I haven't done was check the actual torque on the bearings.

I seem to be getting a mixed signal here, as stated, I thought I'd read some head shake upon slowing was expected and now most are saying it doesn't happen to theirs. Maybe I need to get my bike back to the dealer?

You might also want to check the tire pressure if you have not already done so, i had some dunlops put on at eom and got wobble, only to find out i had a leaking vavle stem, once changed, and air up back to no wobble....
Oh and stradas equaled no wobbly either, but the orig bridgestones wobbled, because they just did...
+1 the used '04 I bought had a decel wobble before I got it home. Check your tire pressures front and rear, set them BOTH at 40psi. (It's just easier to remember a pair o' 40s) Go for a ride and don't let go of the h-bars. You'll probably find the wobble greatly reduced or completely gone. Do a search on each of your specific problems in the Problems tech area and there you'll find some great info, BUT, you have to get your hands a little dirty and apply the knowledge shared here.